Discussion In cultivation novels, what powers/abilities do you enjoy to read about the most?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sheeya, Feb 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. sheeya

sheeya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been reading cultivation novels for like 2.5 years now and I have my own opinion on what types of powers/abilities I prefer to read about, just curious what abilities you prefer the MC of a novel to have? And when I say powers/abilities I mean like what 'path' or Dao their main abilities is a part of, so it could be elements, weapons, concepts/phenomenon? Also what such abilities do you wish there were more of in novels?

2. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spacetime, alchemy, soul, body refining, sword intent

firefox1234 likes this.
  3. SebastianKJ

SebastianKJ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ability to recognize Mt. Tai

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Pure Yang body.

otaku31 and Michelangelo like this.
  5. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    First and foremost, not as specific an answer, but I just wanna see authors use even a smidgeon of creativity by describing how cultivation techniques work. The best way to go about that is have the mc create their own which extremely few do. Aside from that, light and dark are surprisingly under-utilized in cultivation novels. Take that one step further by combining the two, and you could make twilight a power in some way. May be shooting myself in the foot by saying that as I've been sitting on that as a theme for a cultivation-esque novel with a unique mc to go with it for some time, just haven't done it.

6. hihi2k16

hihi2k16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You got it right and the order is correct aswell.

7. sheeya

sheeya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally my favourite powers are:

1. Space (especially the ability to reduce the distance from point 1 to point 2, so you take one step and it's like you took a thousand steps etc. So essentially you'd be teleporting around)
    2. Sword Intent
    3. Formations//Arrays (when it can be created in more or less an instant and during combat)

Some powers that I've been thinking a bit about lately and would like to see more in novels is music and calligraphy.

8. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Martial intents (Sword, spear, etc).
    2. Body refining
    3. Arrays, alchemy
    4. Hyper-regenerative abilities (Regrowing limbs and such. I guess this would go with body refining)
    5. Law/concept fusion
    6. Self-created techniques
    7. Powerful souls
    I think it would be pretty cool to see a novel with an Mc who used a giant war hammer or a unique weapon, but that would probably be an inconvenient weapon. Swords and spears are more mainstream.

9. hehelol

hehelol Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial Arts, especially swords, I really enjoy it when the power system isn't just about skills/abilities that the characters gain and use arbitrarily, it's more special when they are tied to the characters comprehensions and frame of mind(I've mostly seen this from "historical" types of novels). Although "Laws" and such are a bit similar, I dislike them because they don't make much sense.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    otaku31 likes this.
  10. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    I like when they weaponize music, art, and perception (divine sense). It just feels like an author knows just enough about a certain subject that they turn it into a weapon for lack of knowledge on a real fighting style. Makes me laugh.

11. sheeya

sheeya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I realized that I loved the "hidden weapon" fighting style in Douluo Dalu, just a shame that the world didn't fully support that kind of cultivation where it was his only abilities like in the world he reincarnated from. Anyone know any cultivation novels where MCs fighting style would be somewhat similar to the hidden weapons? Such as flying knives or shuriken-flower like weapons.

12. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) alchemy
    2) blacksmithing
    3) healing
    4) cooking

13. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the "unusually" used powers that are often presented early on in Cultivation Stories, such as "using Water to Dissolve & Reform Metals to Smith With", or "X Technique used in Y Situation it wasn't meant for, because the MC only has so much to work off of". I also prefer when the MC isn't a "Master of All Trades", surpassing people who have trained in their specialty for 10,000 years with their less than 100 years of experience, especially when their only ability in cultivation & techniques exists from them having a cheat (and a bloodline only awakened/revealed near the end of the story, because of course no orphan can actually be an orphan, and the people who raised you can't be your parents).

Sorry, I turn this half into what I dislike. To clarify, I like innovation and creative usage of powers/techniques to get around limitations. Be they considered creative on the side of the Author or just the Character.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    fly.... yes the basic ability to fly not too fancy
    Doraemon bag aka space pouch
    magical formation, array, structure cuz it require mathematics err calculation to employ sure with abracadabra magic, element, time, place stuff~
    the stupidity, err slap face.... yeah not ability but...

15. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Grand/Heavenly Dao
    2. Dao Heart
    3. Intents
    4. Alchemy