Discussion In Regards To Liam's Psychology/Personality

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Ceimur, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Ceimur

Ceimur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So First Things First This is a Discussion of Liam Sera Banfield's Personality on [I am an Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire]. So Expect Spoilers here. Secondly I am not talking about how the public sees him, since to them he is a benevolent person, but I am actually talking about things that goes in his mind. For example how he should tax the citizens,

Whenever, this dude thinks to do something evil, I either see it as something neutral or good. Never bad.
    For example: He thinks that before taxing his Citizens high, they should have the money to be taxed with in the first place. For me this is not a way of thinking for an evil lord, this is just how a sovereign of a country should think. Because of this, he invested so much in the planets that he owns. He have risen a fallen economy back to its feet again. A sign that he is not an evil lord, if anything, it proves that he is a great lord.

He once done a purge on the government. He left all hardworking officials in the government while killing all the incompetent once. If he actually purged at least one good official in his government then I might think that this is wrong, but none of the proper officials were purged. All of them got a promotion or at least retain their jobs.

He says that he wants a pampered life as an Evil Overlord, but when he got sent into mines, factory, etc. during his OJT during a huge misunderstanding, he actually delivers, thinks it is actually fun, and does his job properly, even though all of his vassals were very very angry that he got sent into one.

Because he didn't lose his Hardworking personality, he works hard and expects his vassals to be the same. And while he does work his vassals hard, but I guess not hard enough. As all of them thinks they could not do the Extreme Training Liam does everyday for 50 years.

And the biggest Kicker of them all is when he saved the ""Animals", "Statues", and Etc" in the Pirate Fleet. He attacks the Pirate Fleet so that they can get more money to pay off the debts of his parents. His Subordinates said that while it will not leave them remaining bankrupt, it will still leave them in the red if he decides to save them as they need some REALLY GOOD DOCTORS, some Specialized Hospital Equipment, and some REALLY POWERFUL MEDICINE. Yes, just to save someone he really didn't know of.

So what do you guys think, does he really have an evil personality, or he is just dealing with the scars he has in his life

PS: I'm probably just repeating some proven point so sorry

kenar and Alchemist_God0 like this.
  2. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought it was fairly obvious, that he was never evil. Because of his disgusting (ex) wife and how utterly disappointed he was of his past life, he basically thought, "fuck it, Imma do what I want."

To him, that is synonymous with being "evil". It's nothing more than a persona.

Panzaro, 01, Brago130sf and 2 others like this.
  3. Cnine

Cnine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He's evil, for standard of provincial governor in Earth

4. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    Liam (MC) is a character that keeps trying to be selfish and ends up helping others instead, and the Guide (antagonist) is a character that keeps trying to destroy Liam but ends up helping him instead. It's a simple but amusing premise, and over-analyzing it would just ruin the joke.

kenar, Nightow1, Panzaro and 4 others like this.
  5. jalog100

jalog100 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He wants to be evil and have the ideas in the right place but is influenced by his poor status in the previous life, the taxes modern 35% tax are high in modern live but in the middle age 75% was the norm sometimes the Lord just stole all and leave the family to starve, buying local products purging corrupt officials instead ripping them off financially a evil Lord don't want rivals he can't use these are evil to normal modern humans

6. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly agree with the above but i would like to add that Liam just doesn't know what being evil means. The only evil things he met are the loan sharks and his cheating wife and being overworked and he hates them so much that he doesn't even want to be like them. He just wants to "take" from others instead of being taken from. He doesn't realize that his basic morality is just one hundred times better than what most people of that world expect from a noble, and his acts of selfishness are based off his previous life's common sense which means that they are far too small scaled to be considered anything but cute. I don't understand why Liam never hears about other nobles way of life and realize just how tame he is in comparison, but i guess the story wouldn't work in that case.
    Also the guide is just utterly stupid and while the first few times he messed up were absolutely hilarious but after that he just keeps trying these stupid schemes to try and "utterly" destroy Liam when he should first worry about removing his idea that the guide is helping him, with petty inconveniences and bad luck in general, and only then get to work on destroying him once he no longer recieves Liam's gratitude. But, again, the story probably wouldn't work in that case.
    I really like the story but i wish wish there was a better way for these things to be done then just "they are idiots"

7. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    He sucks at being evil
    Amagi covers for him.
    He tried to do it, resolve the misunderstanding from Liam by appearing and tell Liam in person. but by that point the misunderstanding has grown so large that just by appearing in front of Liam the guide is assaulted by waves and waves of gratitude - deadly poison to the guide.
    He is not a idiot, just screwed over by the dog?(spirit) and the sheer amount of luck that Liam has.

8. kyoshijiro

Reading List:
    Link
    That too but he is also an idiot in how he tries to get back at Liam. He keeps trying to "build him up, and then make him fall" cause that is what causes the most despair, but he doesn't realize that that has too much of a risk factor cause in "build him up" he gets more gratitude from Liam, causing himself more damage and making him too weak to execute the "make him fall" part of the plan. He needs to first remove Liams gratitude Towards the Guide before enacting that type of plan

9. Chronos Bee

Reading List:
    Link
    He abandoned the build up approach long ago, now he just wants Liam dead.
    How far have you read btw

10. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    First, im also fan on this novel. oof.

Its really obvious he's not. He just trying, but he fails.
    His way of thinking just too simple, and so people arround him. He is still good person on core.
    Other politician who has better way of thinking debunked by plot armor, as some of them also has more simple way of thinking.
    I'm also doesnt need thinking too much stuff while reading this novel to enjoy because that point above.

ie : Liam in vol.1 just sold out by his parents. Rather thinking why his parent leave him 5 y old child to govern poor planet. He take it as guide blessing and really trying to fix his planet. If he's real evil lord, he would think how to revenge against his parents when growing up. Amagi also an factor why he didnt become evil itself as he always believe android who never lies.

11. apricotsoda

apricotsoda Shy Shy Shy

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought only Leddit and YouTube has a resident Psychologists, I never thought one day we'll have one on NU.

Alchemist_God0 likes this.
  12. kyoshijiro

Reading List:
    Link
    Just finished the recently translated chapter. You would think he abbandoned his build up tactic cause he tried shouting the truth at Liam but
    when Dolph was about to win in a simulation battle cause he was cheating? Instead of letting Liam lose or even better, making him lose even more disasteriously, he made Liam win so that Dolph would hate him more and become an unreconcilable enemy of Liam. How is he so stupid as to not take this opportunity for Liam to lose for the FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE!! This one loss would probably have greatly dissapointed Liam, as well as making everyone ridicule him. This would have been a great begining to eroding Liam's gratitude instead of reinforcing it. For what? So that Dolph, some random poser, becomes an unreconcilable enemy of Liam's? What is even the point of that?! He already has plenty of enemies, unless you find some imperial prince or genius assassin you aren't gonna find much use from these small fry enemies. Liam has pseudo infinite money, he is so far the most powerful combatant in the world, and has a decent army to take care of large number of enemies. You either hit him with overwhelming force, and by overwhelming i mean like tenthousand deathstars shooting at once kind of overwhelming, or you destroy his happiness through manipulating his surroundings so he doesn't have fun, gets frustrated, is unlucky, etc.
    The guide could probably make Liam super sad just by destroying Amagi with his magic, he should be able to do that right?

13. Chronos Bee

Reading List:
    Link
    He can't, his power is so small he can only indirectly influence things now :blob_grin:

14. Ceimur

Ceimur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was never a Psychologist. I just like over-analyzing simple things. But to be honest, the true reason why I was over-analyzing his mind-set is because he, out of all characters in the novels I have read has the nearest Personality with Lee Hyun AKA "Weed" in the LMS series

15. kyoshijiro

Reading List:
    Link
    Every now and again he accumulates a decent amount and then he gets randomly hit with a gratitude spear

Chronos Bee likes this.
  16. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But is still doing stupid things like kyo said. V4C3. He keeps trying to raise "enemies" for Liam but does that by heaping success on him at the expense of petty people and very often, this "heaping of success" tends to end up making Liam all but immune to the petty "revenge taker". Case in point is the current "Dolph". Sure, he's an "enemy" but the prestige and influence Liam got from winning more than compensates for one angry mook.

I'd actually say that Liam IS an "evil overlord", at least in intent and character. He's self centered and intends to exploit others. The problem with his approach is not intent IMO but "scale". His "black" is so mild in a galaxy that is full of grimdark that he ends up looking like a saint in comparison and ends up looking like cute quirks than actual sins, like his "yellow candies" when people are talking mithril or adamantium for bribes.

kyoshijiro likes this.
  17. Chronos Bee

Reading List:
    Link
    haha that makes me laugh cuz its so true:blobparty:

18. Archiver with ADHD

Archiver with ADHD New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems vol 5 is still in progress now. I wonder if the TL will resume or wait until raw is done