Discussion Incest in novels: acceptable or not in bl, gl

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Irisia, May 10, 2022.

?

Is it acceptable? Does it bother you?

1. Yes, bl, gl. it doesn't bother me

2. No

3. Incest, incest, incest. Important things need to be said three times

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes~
    go incest go!

any "taboo" topic is interesting on fiction for this cat~ the idea to explore the unknown~ the what if scenario~ the topic can be lighthearted or super duper serious as any theme can be~
    lighthearted no need to be talk about~ the serious one can be commentary of humanity, society and such~ the execution is different stuff hohoho

2. Irisia

Irisia Moon bunny at your service

Reading List:
    Link
    Blood mix doesn't literally mean the mixing of blood XD. It means relatives by blood having children together.

I feel sorry for you. That is disgusting. But at the same time I wouldn't consider it a novel in the first place. Just in nu there are a lot of hentai stories, but they are just that, they are not read for their plot but only for release. The stories I personally read are on the more normal side even if it's incest, where adulterous stuff doesn't happen until they are really all adults, or even married, and those stories usually only have a lone or too with the meaning of "they did do it" or are heaaaaassvily censored.
    If it's a story about a small child being violated because that is what it really is I absolutely wouldn't even start reading it. I read novels for the plot.

3. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Gay and incest.. 2 tags I avoid the most..
    2 brothers or 2 sisters mating? .. heck no
    I meen, if u enjoy em sure.. but it surely wouldnt be on my RL

4. comeetomama

comeetomama used to called mommy now granny

Reading List:
    Link
    I replied this in different forums but I am gonna explain it on here too. I don't mind if both sides are okay with it and there is no grooming and emotional manipulation. As u said incest is forbidden because of offsprings.

I can't imagine myself having a relationship with my brother but it doesn't mean everybody is the same. Sometimes people don't see their family as family and that can led people to fall in love with a family member. It is all about mentality.

Irisia likes this.
  5. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eww. No.

6. ansusta

ansusta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i mean , it doesn't matter to me if it's bg or bl or gl , if they're directly related then it'd be against morals , but as you know novels are novels ,it's supposed to go out of the ordinary , make ifferent situations and bring you to understand the different povs of what we usually see as unknown or non understandable
    i personally think it's interesting , of course i'm not supporting it , it's just that i think it will be a good setting if properly developed

7. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Only acceptable if they're not blood-related and if there's no power disbalance. Like I can kinda accept adopted son gong x adoptive father shou, but definitely can't accept the opposite. As for blood-related incest, I don't bother reading. It bothers the hell out of me.

8. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care, as long as consent and respect is present.

Because the main reason it is taboo in the first place is due to child abnormality and abuse(could involve physical, mental and power abuse). If none is present that is fine, if it is a mutual and have been strongly thought about then that is fine. I don't want to dictate what others should feel when they are in love and the only wrong thing they are committing is incest, it's like why should they
    be judged just because it makes me uncomfortable, it's not like I am the one committing it. I am just reading a story of two people in love who have so much challenges to face in this world. Love is love at the end and the day. I'd rather focus my attention to real crimes like abuse.

There have been real stories of sibling who weren't aware they're related and had married each other. I don't think they're doing anything wrong or care enough in what they do.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  9. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Years ago, I read a BL manga of brother x brother and it opened my eyes, literally and figuratively.
    I remember, I was thinking 'since whatever they're doing are consensual, between adult and adult, and dont produce children and it's only happened in fiction, I guess it's fine'.

Now.
    I hope it stays in fiction eternally.

10. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really see it being likely that "healthy" incestuous relationships exist even if they aren't going to result in children, outside of like ancient settings where everyone is related or settings where inbreeding is specifically encouraged, like Greek mythology or godly bloodline settings.

The setting surrounding an incestuous relationship is probably one where an incestuous couple feels they are surrounded by enemies and can't trust anyone other than each other, or one where they can't see the value in building relationships (friendly or romantic) with people other than each other.

Incest has a lot of reasons for being taboo. If you're to the point where the only romantic partner you are interested in is your family member, then there have to be some other things wrong with your life. The exception is family members separated at birth, obviously then the societal implications of only being interested in a relative are irrelevant.

11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Part of the problem honestly is that outsiders have no easy way to to discern if an incestuous relationship is healthy or not, so we tend to assume the worst for often pretty good reason, but it do mean that we also occasionally stigmatize relationships that might otherwise have been healthy.
    This is quite honestly where fiction have an advantage in general since we can get to experience the viewpoint of the characters involved, something we can't do with real people.
    And that goes for pretty much any complicated tropes in general, not just incest.

12. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right about fiction being omniscient and being able to play with ideas, I agree.

But outside of the settings I mentioned and often including them, incest has societal implications, not just genetic ones, and it's pretty hard to depict a healthy incestuous relationship even in fiction because of this.

Granted, fictional stories don't need to depict healthy relationships to be a good read. Jaime and Cersei aren't any less fun to read about because their relationship is inherently dysfunctional, well, besides that that series is never getting finished.

I'm not too personally interested in reading about incest, so I'm just commenting on the likelihood of healthy incestuous relationships existing. It doesn't really matter what sexual orientation the incestuous couple has, and in the case of an LGBTQ+ incestuous couple they would be dealing with even more societal pressure. I guess I'm just suspicious, I feel like this isn't likely to be a subject depicted with any sensitivity by the bulk of writers and insensitive depictions are harmful.

13. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can read in reddit about real life incest healthy couple relationship if you want to know the likelihood of it existing as there are plenty enough over there. They just accepted it after knowing and just decided to make sure not to have children. Cousins are way more easy because they can have healthy offspring and way more accepted. What is focused more often on news is cases of abuse(it's a crime) but just because it exist that shouldn't invalidate those who are in a consenting incest relationship. There are always two side in a coin. It would seems shit of me if I were to invalidate that feeling and judge them just because I would be uncomfortable, against my morals and I deem it impossible, when I am not the one in the relationship. Something is sensitive if you are sensitive and sensitivity is different for you, me and everyone else. I don't even know why I am explaining this, I guess I just don't like prejudice. I don't want to get offended for something that is not doing any harm to anybody else, unless want you're talking about is incest relationship coerce by abuse which even in novels is not romanticized, it's falling under abusive relationship for captivity, yandere, manipulation, rape etc.

Irisia and Nimroth like this.
  14. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

the thing that always gets me is , how tf do you NOT have a visceral reaction to sleeping with your sibling, female, male , bl/gl or what not? thats disgusting. how can you just boil it down to "oFfSpRinG sUffEr".
    sick shit humans

15. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in no way denying that the societal implications are there, if anything I was adding on to that by saying more of incestuous relationships could possibly be healthy if the societal implications were not there.
    Still though authors have leeway of minimizing the impact of those societal implications without actually removing them, similarly to how you "could" write about any other sort of closeted character living a normal life in a society where they are stigmatized and possibly under risk of criminal punishment.
    Though I do agree that it is difficult to depict with any sensitivity, especially since incest gets hated by pretty much all groups and sides with little nuance, so a lot of the ones actually wanting to read or write about incest might not even care about a healthy depiction of it to begin with.

16. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    first of all, no siblings to speak of. second, this whole post is based on fiction, thus there is no real thing happening. third, the only real physical minus is the offspings. everything else is just your feelings. and using a very broad view, we all are siblings, thus you ARE commiting incest, unless you remain virgin for the rest of your life and unmarried.
    it all depends on your understanding and how much do you want to bend the rules.

17. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    This may be pendantic of me, but there has been scientific studies into WHY we find incest disgusting in general. Some of it is societal, but there's actually a chemical/evolutionary element as well. We have a literal different mental response to children who grow up near our mothers'. IE: siblings. There's a different love chemical cocktail that is secreted for family members as opposed to romantic partners.
    This can be why it's so difficult to develop romantic feelings for childhood friends, especially if they hung out at your house a lot when you were kids. Your brain is literally sending out all the signals that they are family, not mate material. This has been found in both humans and other apes. So it's not -just- the offspring thing.
    Interesting to note, it's only other kids who were close to the mother. Single father families had less of this chemical response to their siblings. Not entirely missing, but still.
    Not that you were wondering or anything.

18. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    there are siblings who grew in divorced families-apart, or swapped children, adopted children, remarried parents etc., all kinds of troupes. in novels those siblings don't have that much contact to begin with. thus those studies do not go against any principal in the novels. and it really doesn't explain why people feel disgust, when they themselves are not involved. same goes for lgbt couples, age gap couples, younger male couples. it's just prejudice

19. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the societal part. Don't discredit the peer pressure of thousands of years of taboo. It shapes us in the most unexpected ways. Though this one is a little more obvious. There's probably also some, "I feel disgust thinking about doing that with my own sibling, so putting myself in the position of the MC makes me feel uncomfortable and I don't enjoy that."
    I personally have 5 siblings and many friends that may as well be. I certainly would feel very very uncomfortable with the thought of having a relationship with them. So I understand people's disgust.
    You cant control people's emotion about it.
    But, having said that, I share the opinion of many on here. So long as it's fictional, or actually consentual (not the result of grooming or coersion) and between adults RL, I don't have that much of a problem with it.

20. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to say it's not ok. Then I remember several doujin where the mc get together with some twins/siblings.