Question Intelligence & Charisma Boosts

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mr Moth, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Moth

Mr Moth Member

Reading List:
    Link
    me and the bois are playing a quest over at Spacebattles. It's based on the korean novel The Protagonists are Murdered by Me. We jump from world to world and we murder ourselves some protagonists.

The current issue is that we decided to make intelligence and charisma our dump stat. Y'all have any ideas on any permanent intelligence and/or charisma increasing items and/or abilities from the novels?

The questing thread can be found here if your interested.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would you want items that increase the stats that you're dumping?

The whole point of dumping stats is that your character don't need them so you can focus on increasing other stats

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. Korose

Korose Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As it is a dump stat you want to avoid % increases and go for fix boni instead
    as abilities usually scale % there is almost next to none there that give Fixed stats
    in most novels fixed stat boosts come from feats performed or basic lvl up gains
    in your case maybe a kind of achievement system? x protags murderer + 10 all stats?

alternatively spend money in the world to get C rank or so gear which should be doable if you smuggle gold and then those give like +50 x stat which makes them cheaper than the +50% x stat gears or gears with skills
    which means they are a crutch and get replaced

maybe an item that needs a quest material in each world to get upgraded that provides +x stats to your lowest y,z,a stats?

4. Korose

Korose Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    limited stats to distribute for the end build but still needs those to get a long
    in their case, you might never want to invest into intelligence but you might need x intelligence at some point to get past a hurdle and after that you don't need it anymore

Astaroth likes this.
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no such thing, novels simply make everyone else's intelligence and charisma go down when MC's go up.

6. Mr Moth

Mr Moth Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not the qm. I can't decide that. I can only ask for worlds to jump to or stuff(equipment, items, skills) to buy, and the man will give me a price.

We don't gain stat points by level ups. Stat points can only be gained via training(exercise), items, or enhancements. The System shop sells 1 stat point at 1 million system points. We only gained two thousand points by killing Harry Potter. We're poor.

On the other hand, stuff like Perfected T-Virus only costs 1950 points, and that shit allows us to tank small fireams and even eat handgrenades.

The qm is a troll.

That's exactly what I mean. Especially stuff like mind control or physic attacks targeting our mind. Those are reoccurring issues we have to deal with.

That's a good idea.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't you just want some item with an effect that specifically targets this weakness though? Or an ability that solves this problem by using some other stat.

Didn't read the novel and no idea how your stats/attributes/ability scores work.

But take intimidation for example, normally that would be based off Charisma because it's related persuasion, but then you have some skill that boosts your intimidation by your Strength?

Or since you're in a party, okay, so one or more characters have this weakness to mental attacks. Then just have someone on the party get the proper resistance and then have the buffs and/or skills to rescue the others.

8. Mr Moth

Mr Moth Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are very specific samples.

We already have abilities that offer a degree of protection, but how the quest works is that the skill itself offers a dice roll and the stat gives a flat increase. The opponent will likely spec into Charisma or Intelligence themselves. If we fought on equal skill levels, they'd almost always wipe us because of our trash stats.

I can't find one in fiction, but a fellow player came up with one(we're allowed to come up with abilities) and asked the qm. There are. They tend to cost ludicrous amounts. Upwards of millions if not billions. The qm will not let us cheese so easily.

Me neither. I only have a rough understanding through qm.

Astaroth likes this.
  9. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    If you need a stat at all, don't dump it. And never have the entire team dump the same stats. When a party has a glaring weakness even the nicest GM will feel the urge to poke at it...

Anyway, since it seems you made that decision, solve every problem with whatever stats you decided to invest in - I assume murdering and maybe sneaking type stats? If you're dealing with things that attack the mind, just look for items that protect your mind. It's probably a lot easier than increasing stats.

10. Mr Moth

Mr Moth Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's why me and bois are trying to make up for this issue rn. We have enough resources to spec a bit into Int and Char, but we need items and equipment from existing universe because the qm tend to offer discounts to stuff we don't make up on the spot.

It is a lot easier. However, items have durability issues, they don't regen. Furthermore, combat at our level could easily escalate to hand grenades and etc... Items can easily break unless we spec into item durability, which makes the item cost even more.

We managed to get Aptom from Guyver series, which means we can regen most damage - including one's that destroy most of our body. It seems much more efficient in the long run to spec into characters stats.

11. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    What would make equipment that increases attributes work better than equipment that gives mental protection?

There are skills and abilities that protect against mental attacks too - I don't know what worlds you have available so I wouldn't recommend specifics but basically any cultivation or level system world would have a passive skill of that type.

12. Mr Moth

Mr Moth Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That works too, though stats tend to cover more than just specific cases.

We have available to us every fictional world that exists, that's not fanfiction or an original story posted on Spacebattles. There are exceptions to this rule such as Worm.

This thread is strictly meant to discuss items or abilities that can permanently increase intelligence or charisma that can be found in novels(or some other neighbouring literary format). As much as I appreciate that y'all are trying to help, I much prefer specific examples. Stuff such as:
    1. Shit ton of crap from dune.
    2. Salmon of Wisdom from Celtic Mythology
    3. Extra Strength Super Power Juice from Captain Underpants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.