Discussion intent sword saber and blade

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by IXAzraelXI, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IXAzraelXI

IXAzraelXI < Atheistic Angel >

Reading List:
    Link
    so i'm bored and curious as to what other people are thinking.
    for those who read CN i'm sure you are familiar with these intents. what i'm curious about is why there is a difference especially with sword and saber.
    all sabers are swords but not all swords are sabers which in my mind means that sword intent encompasses saber intent. if anyone can tell me why it doesn't please explain.

another thing that has been on my mind is blade intent. from what i can figure out is that blade intent is a cheep way out for all other bladed weapons daggers knifes axes. in fact, and now that i'm trying to think of it i can't remember where, one of the novels that i read there was a secondary character who picked up an axe and wielded it effortlessly as he did his daggers because he had mastered blade intent to some high degree (if anyone can tell by this bare description what novel this might be from please let me know)

shouldn't a master of blade intent be able to pick up a sword and use it easily. shouldn't all of these daos lead to the blade in the end

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe it's because of the path taken.

It's like saying "You do not know de wae of the sword". Anyways, that's my thoughts on it.

3. yotae

yotae Drunkard Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    [[​IMG]/SPOILER]

4. IXAzraelXI

Reading List:
    Link
    @yotae did you just happen to have this tucked away in case someone asked?

5. kelkel1133

kelkel1133 Well-known Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    Sword Intent is intent that can create sword.
    Saber Intent is for sabers
    There are some minor differences in the two. For example, you cannot wield sabers as swords and vice versa; thus, they are classified as two.
    Blade Intent is the intent of the blades. You can cut something with an intent without using swords or any kind of bladed weapon. A glance, a slash of a finger or even a sneeze can cut dimensions

6. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    dao are single-edged and jian are double-edged.

They're both "swords", just because frequent translations for jian is sword and dao is saber doesn't suddenly make dao a sub-category of jian.

7. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You’re basing it a bit too much on the english language right now. The „sword“ that you’re talking about is a generalization for all weapons of that kind. In chinese a sword has two edges and a blade or saber has one edge. That’s why there are different intents.

Astaroth and Jarrow like this.
  8. Fragments of Shadows

Fragments of Shadows [The Broken One] [Chaser of Tales] [Hungry Ghost]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

you think that's crazy prepared @yotae has the answer to life, the method to never misplace your car keys, and the solution to the great questions: what do people in China call their good plates? and how many ancient Chinese secrets are there? all in picture format.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ah han bi kwang
    long time no see

nick1mname likes this.
  10. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dao, Jian, are 2 of the 4 "Gentlemen of weapons" on China(along with Gun (staff), Qiang (spear)). All 4 are separate in their history. A staff is not just a spear without a tip, etc.

11. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly these. In Chinese, all three are very different, especially in the implications of use. Swords are noble, Sabers are uncivilized and violent, and knives (as hidden weapons) are not honorable. So the 'intent' of all three would be remarkable different.

12. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Intents are based upon usage, and the usage of specific weapons are based upon what they were originally designed for. Generally speaking, a blade can do the same thing that a sword or a saber can, and vice versa. This is very prominent in western cultures. But in eastern cultures, a blade, a saber, and a sword are three totally different weapons. And they are all trained in different ways.

Traditionally, a saber would be used by calvary, from horseback. It wouldn't have a sharpened blade, but would be rather heavy and stiff. It was much more used for hacking or slashing motions complimented by the momentum of the horse. Blade, on the other hand, is generally a sword-type weapon but with only one edge on it. Again a hacking and slashing weapon, with usually a blunt tip not used for thrusting. Knifes and daggers are typically considered blades.

The sword however is much more complex. It can have one or two edges, it can have a sharp or blunt point, and it can be short or long. In western cultures, knights and generals use swords while a king would use a spear, but in eastern cultures its the other way around. Most kings use swords, but generals wield spears.

The intents behind their usage is more important though. Raw strength and great force could use either a saber or a blade, but more finesse and agility would be for a blade or a sword. It's all complicated, but there you go.

13. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in some novels all of these weapons are apart of the killing/slaughter dao.

chapter 647 immortal mortal

14. Skool

Skool Sword Immortal Heavenbreaker

Reading List:
    Link
    Sword Intent #1 , Cut through Your Dao like a knife cutting a Tofu!

15. genocidegrand

genocidegrand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if we are talking real life war. the king of cold weapon is the spear.
    which is why there is a saying an inch longer is an inch stronger.
    most soldier use spear not sword. sword is more like for show rather than real fight.
    the general use sword for commanding and rarely fight them selves.
    incase you wonder chinese use spear but with added edge making it like an L spear on the head. its used to kite enemies weapon and struck on horses leg.

16. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The real question here should be how come nobody ever wrote a novel about a supreme staff user.

Cookiemoster1 likes this.
  17. Cookiemoster1

Cookiemoster1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now my son. Hope you have reached enlightenment

18. Cookiemoster1

Cookiemoster1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be funny as fk

19. Kuronairo

Kuronairo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The emperor of all weapons is the jian !!! Dao is what beginners and civilians learn.
    Who Cares about the gun or qiang. If you master jian intent , all weapons will need to bow in front of you and call you grandpa.

20. IXAzraelXI

Reading List:
    Link
    @Greater thunder not cn or anything but patrick carr cast of stones book one of the staff and sword trilogy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.