Discussion Internet friendships and relationships

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Oct 10, 2021.

?

Once upon a time, a dog fell from the sky and into a lake...

1. ...but it was winter and the lake was frozen so the dog died.

24.2%
  2. ...and swam happily ever after.

21.2%
  3. ... It couldn't swim and thus, it drowned.

21.2%
  4. ... It couldn't swim but a nice young man saved it and took care of it ever since.

12.1%
  5. ... and became one of the lake town's seven mysteries.

21.2%
  6. ...WHUT?!

6.1%
  7. ... and happily noms skullie with me.

21.2%
  8. Stormy... are you drunk again? (I went to a birthday! Drinking is normal!)

9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you think internet friendships and relationships are any less real than irl ones?

Hmm... I'm not a social media person. The extent of my internet life is NUF, Discord and Facebook messenger (for people I mostly know irl). But that said, I kinda value relationships whether or not it's an online one or not. They both have their own pros and cons. That doesn't mean I value one over the other tho.

Being a hermit also limited me a lot. These days I talk more to random internet fellows than meet up with real life friends. And tbh, if you find a good internet friend, it doesn't feel any less real. If there's sincerity in the relationships, it would still last long. I still have NUF friends I talk to even though they aren't in NUF anymore. And there are also NUF friends that randomly pops up every now and then. I feel as happy as seeing and old irl friend i haven't seen for a while.

Honestly, I know it's really hard to forge friendships online. People disappear all the time. People keep their distance so suddenly. People just lose interest half-way and just stops talking to you. Some people don't even wanna open up at all. Some has no problems lying about who they are. So many things. So many issues.

But so does real life. Just because you're always at the company of someone, doesn't mean you're good friends. I believe most people I know fall into casual acquaintances category. Don't even mention deeper friendships, I never treated anyone as best friend because I'm very...defensive person. I'm the type to always leave myself a lifeline because I'm so afraid of getting hurt. I'm so used to getting disappointed by people I loved and cared about. Now, I'm just afraid to even try anymore. Once bitten, twice shy.

Anyway, I digressed. Personally I don't think internet relationships are any less real than real life ones. Modern world, modern problems.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Fulminata, imK, Shizukani and 3 others like this.
  2. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    No. :cookie: But if you give cookie, I may be persuaded to say “yes.”

Fulminata and Abastika like this.
  3. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    considering you still have the cookie I gave, can you really demand that?

oh wait, I think you can since the one i gave is already gone :blobrofl:

4. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The RL friends I have can be counted in one hand strictly speaking. As for OL friends, they don't exist. :p

5. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. This cookie was given by @GREED444. :cookie:

GREED444 and Bad Storm like this.
  6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I first met Mr. Hamster and my current best friend online. Does that answer your question? XD

7. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    internet society isnt real.....

8. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Forget about friendship, let me ask the real questions here, why did the dog fall from the sky? like, why was it there or rather, how did it reach there? and why a lake? like why not a trampoline or sand XD?

9. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a blurry line. I can't say that I consider internet friends real because the relationship is not one that you can really see what the person is truly like.

With my friends IRL I can borrow his car or he can visit me in a hospital if I am sick even let me stay at his or her place for some reason if my house burned down or I had to gas the place with insecticide. they come to my house on my birthday even if I had not plan to throw a party and bring gifts. they help when I need to move or you help them. It might not even be that you need something, but you or they call you and invite you to their place just to hang out.

There is a relationship online. could I call it friendship? I don't think so. maybe acquaintance. there many limitation to contacting ppl online. maybe if you got a group together and decided to meet at a place and hangout 5-6 got together to truly get to know each other talk and maybe get connected, but I don't see how online could truly be friendship just because you talk to each other about thing you have in common.

If that was the case then everyone I have talked in the waiting room of a hospital or at a public bus bench would be my friend too or at the DMV while waiting to have my name called.

applebeans and Cutter Masterson like this.
  10. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As i play online games,

ive seen people as they are because they think nobody knows who they are anyway. So ive seen the best and the worst in people.

thats why i like playing moba game. Its really interesting to see what makes people tick, to talk and communicate to people on how to get a common goal.
    Can i consider them as real friends¿ prob not. But im guessing they are not acting to me through the interaction. ( cursing, etc)

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  11. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    the dog doesn't know, it has amnesia.

12. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    mmmm mmmmm 50/50

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  13. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think online friendships are worth any less than IRL friendships. The only difference is that online, we don't see each other face to face. But I mean, we're all still definitely real people and our common interests exist and all our experiences and conversations together are definitely super ultra real and being online doesn't change that any! :cookie:

Baldingere and Cutter Masterson like this.
  14. Zom the Monk

Zom the Monk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering I don't really have any of either besides my family they are virtually the same.

KhayDesu likes this.
  15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Too bad the nice young man was a CN MC and they eat dogs.

KhayDesu likes this.
  16. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    I have close friend from a game,and then we play games together everyday.
    Chat through discord, doing events online, etc.

17. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are only TWO ways internet friendship can go down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. deadlyexistence23

deadlyexistence23 ❝ And maybe, for a while that was true ❞

Reading List:
    Link
    If being completely honest, I like both, but I usually prefer the internet one, because I can be myself and with just a search you can find a community that will welcome you with the same interest you have in mind, in real life, because of my issues that I'm still working with, I will usually be super friendly to everyone, maybe even overshare my life with just one day of meeting them then the next day completely lose my interest in them(maybe even run away from them), I have this weird attachment idk style, if I noticed that I'm becoming closer to you, I run away ;-; it's annoying, I'm vv impulsive sometimes and just do whatever interesting things that come up to my mind, if something catch my interest, i'll do it right away, but the problem is maintaining that interest. I have broken so many relationship because of this, be it friendship or romantic relationship~

With internet friend.... it's really not that different >.> I ghosted many just because, buttt! At least it's easier to find people with the same interest as you! And you can become closer to them much easier because of it~

I don't think internet friend is any lesser than irl friend, they have their own advantages and disadvantages, sometimes even internet friends are much better than irl friends yk? There's nothing wrong with it<3

applebeans and Cutter Masterson like this.
  19. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    It's an isekai dog, got hit by isekai truck and transferred at the sky of the lake, later the dog accidentally headbutt the dragon of the lake and it hit the weak point of the dragon and thus kill it, after that the dog found out there is lady of the lake that gives the dog isekai language comprehends or something like auto translating. From the story of Lady of The Lake, she is actually the sacrifice that was offered to the dragon. This isekai dog got title dragon slayer (and of course become OP) or something, and thus the story began.......

20. Deleted member 202210

Deleted member 202210 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, I have found some buddies that have the same interest as mine online. They are good companions when we talk about things we are interested in. It just depends on what kind of people are you interacting with, but you can definitely build a good atmosphere with them.

As for offline friends, I have a few too, though we don't have the same interests, but we accept each other for who we are. In fact, I can be real around them. They understand my reason for not doing or doing this and that, and I treat them the same way too.

Well I can say that my relationships in real life weighs more on the scale.