Spoiler Iris - The Lady and her Smartphone

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by mikeyla, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Fed up xx

Fed up xx New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I gonna give my two cent on this. This is a f**king self insert Mary Sue. If not. Then What are Iris's character flaws?
    Not counting being overly too kind and clumsy, those are overly used characters traits for Mary Sues.

First off She too much of central Focus as even when she's not in the room both villains and Mods alike Talk about how amazing, kind, and a prodigy she is, or for the Villains wondering what she's up to, how to get rid of her, and how to take her for themself like a damn McGuffin. Too many Things seems to be falling into place for her in the second timeline Thanks to the creations and ideas she ripped off from her smartphone everyone seems to be impressed and fall in love with her like she's the damn chosen one, OH wait, she's an unleasher so in their eyes, she is a chosen one, that's why every royalty and nobles from around the world are asking for her hand in marriage. That's another Mary sue trait.
    How lucky that she knows the proper bow to impress the prominent household in another country because it is similar to the Korean Bow. Not the mention the Asian Princess from country of GO which she never heard of in the first timeline and still managed to impress her due to her knowledge of Asian Culture because she was Korean in her previous life.. HOW very fortunate that she was a ASIAN princess and not some Middle Eastern or African princess. How very lucky is that?
    And without rhyme or reason Empress Iyia or whatever her name is has fallen in love with Iris as well and wants desperately have her as a daughter in-law, to the point of developing an unhealthy obsession, practically securing Iris as the next empress of the country, How lucky is that?

The Villains are so F**king stupid and soo one dimensional, no character depth or growth, no signs of intelligence enough to know when to back off or lay low or get on her good side, as the heroine keeps growing in power and connections. . Its painfully obvious they are only evil and stupid just for the convenience of the plot. At this point Iris is like a professional chess player playing against kids and using the smartphone to cheat and get a head.
    I personally to find this to be too One sided, the characters to be too one dimensional and poorly written. The Author should have better editors to fix this.

2. Furiae19

Furiae19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors want to make drama so badly, that they create these fodder characters that are only there to be evil and show how the MC is soooo much better. The best exemple for me is Carmandy, at first, when she was introduced, she seemed like a dignified noble girl and didn't speak much even when her friends were talking crap. But then, for some reason, she went full retard :blobunsure:. She became extremely childish and stupid all of a sudden, even though she wasn't like that at first :blobawkward:

Ophelia_Hecate, Ark182 and DOHere like this.
  3. KaguyaDreyar

KaguyaDreyar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can't help to think of wanting to drop this sometimes cuz of the painfully obvious plotholes, but we're almost there, just have a bit more patience. Author-nim really f*cked up big time lol.

4. _EyeCandy_

_EyeCandy_ Secretly Into Sadists ヽ(*>∇<)ノ

Reading List:
    Link
    The author is really something...
    There are a lot of problems and secrets adding up so far (in the manhwa) currently at Ch 99

Honestly... I really hoped that the author would focus on one problem at a time :cry: Problems just keep popping up :confused::confused:

1. First of all - the problem about why Iris doesn't remember her childhood with the Duke ( IAN). Why did the previous Emperor want Ian to Marry Iris??
    2. Second - The stuff about the Duke's past life when he wished for Iris to go back to the past, and also, that mentally ill little girl was actually a GOD?? WHAT?
    3. Third - regarding the real Identity of Iris that her father is the Grand Duke, why did her mother hide it? Why did her brother hide it as well? And also, about the current situation that the red haired thot is now an adoptive daughter of the Grand Duke..
    4. Fourth - The maid... What the heck will happen to her and why is she now suddenly a Noble?? I wish things would be resolved :cry:
    5. Fifth - I heard from spoilers that she's gonna get kidnapped for 3 YEARS?!? :cry::cry::confused:
    6. Sixth - They're still struggling to make Ian the next Emperor
    7. Seventh - The safe that they were finding in the basement of the main Palace, where there was a maze why didn't they look at that yet?!? I don't understand
    8. Eighth - Everyone must be FREAKIN STUPID for not noticing that the Redhead Thot suddenly changed her eye color... (There are some exceptions but..).... Why would they just accept her adoption like that ?!
    9. Ninth - Why does the grand duchess (wife of red eyed grand duke) suddenly act like that? Like, she was a cool person at first who didn't even care about the Redhead Thot, she would have obviously seen her green eyes before when Redhead Thot pretended to fall down and break her heels in front of her...... And now she's like " Why are you hurting my child! She is part of the Grand Duke's Family!!"... :eek::confused:
    10. Tenth - ( This is my own personal problem, I couldn't let this go because it blew my mind away). OKAY FIRST OF ALL. Just because she found information about iris implant surgery doesn't mean that she can magically do thaat. DID THEY HAVE SKILLED DOCTORS AT THAT TIME??!? People don't even know how lighters work yet... How the heck did she change her eyes like it was like changing clothes?? And then she suddenly got surgery ??WITHOUT EVEN HEALING HER EYES.. LIKE IF YOU GET PLASTIC SURGERY, YOU DO NOT GET OUT OF THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE AFTER THE SURGERY LOOKING LIKE BARBIE... YOU WOULD LOok LIKE A MUMMIFIED CORPSE AFTER SURGERY BRUH BECAUSE OF ALL THE BANDAGES . She would have needed some time to heal her eyes or something.... UGHHHH OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING? ARE THOSE JUST CONTACT LENSES???
    She currently has a lot of Enemies
    - The Red Empress
    - The blonde chick
    - The Redhead Thot
    - The Redhead Thot's boyfriend
    - Every thot who's obsessed with Ian
    - And (possibly the grand duchess in the future??)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Ophelia_Hecate and Calypso Noir like this.
  5. Rakshanu

Rakshanu Immortal Ero

Reading List:
    Link
    Iris doesn't have a childhood with grand duke, she is result of a fling to say, her mother was pregnant unmarried and then escaped to marry the marquis, who accepted her still. Her brother can be said true child of marquis instead of being bastard he is portrayed, iris is the one who is bastard not having any blood of her family in her.

Mother hid it because it is shameful, an unmarried woman having affairs and getting pregnant then marrying someone else to pretend the child is theirs. Iris would be literally beaten to death in society along with her mother because she committed adultery and then they defrauded everyone in nobles to make her real daughter, brother for same reason.

Maid was beaten with intention to make her loae her memories, which she did. So the couple is juat pretending to be her parents in order to hide the crime and her realising past and tell iris.

Safe was left because too risky to act now nd empress would be much more threatened with carmandy as solia and her family getting smell of it than weak iris family.

Mentally ill girl being God is what it is, like every other dumb thing in this story.

_EyeCandy_ likes this.
  6. rock.doll

rock.doll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to clarify....

1. Iris is NOT a bastard. Iris mom was the only heir to the Foreste marquisate so she is de facto the rightful blood of the Foreste. Her mother was childhood sweetheart of the grand duke, they loved each other. BUT there was another woman who loved(?) the grand duke and so she planned to kill Iris mom, threatened her, erc. Iris mom found she was pregnant, saw that not much help can she get from the grand duke, that another woman is a psycho threatening her life ...so Iris mom decided to marry her friend who was a count and was widowed with a son already. Yeah, that count is Nera's uncle. Anakin dad who was a poor count married Iris mom who was the marquise Foreste. The marriage was kinda like a contract so Iris mom can claim that the count is the father of her child that she was pregnant already. Anakin is not the heir to the marquite Foreste title, Iris is and will alway be. This is why Nera family got Anakin out of the house and manipulated Iris as their guardians as she was the rightful blood and the only remaining of the Foreste marquesate. Basically, Anakin is Iris stepbrother from her mother marriage with no blood relations to her at all, so he has no right to the marquise title, he can be Iris guardian legally as long as Iris is minor but he cannot inherit the title ...well, only if Iris died and left a legal will that stated Anakin as the next marquise Foreste lol. This scheme Nera and her family and the scumbag Howard used in the 1st timeline actually.

2. Iris mother hide it because of a lot of reasons. Not sure about society BUT she was afraid of that another woman who wanted the grand duke. So her 1st priority was to safeguard her life and her unborn child. Seeing that the grand duke was too ...naive, she decided to do everything by herself. She married the count because 1. he was a friend, 2. he knew everything and 3. he even saved Iris mom once she was attacked (yean, that another woman scheme), so they agreed to marry, it was a win-win situation for both of them at that time. As the only heir to Foreste marquesate even she gave birth without being married I don't think it would have been such a huge shock to the society and Iris would have beaten being born from her mother adultery. I mean ...look at the 1st timeline, Iris was married to Howard BUT Nera was de facto the mistress of Howard and running the Foreste marquesate AND having a child ...everything was done in plain daylight so everyone knew. Was there a backlash? Nope. Because there was empress Liza behind them who had all the influence at that time. Power and money is everything. Foreste was a powerful, influential and rich house so if Iris mom wanted she could give birth to Iris without being married. The problem was that the grand duke would then know this, same with that crazy psycho woman. So Iris mom choose the safest option for both her and Iris, and there already was her friend the count so basically it was a win-win case for both with no loose ends.

3. Mentally ill girl is NOT a god lol. I mean, it was a dream. Ian dreamed everything where nominally THE God choose the image of that ill girl to present himself/herself(?) to Ian in his dream to show a glimpse of what happened in 1st timeline, and that he, Ian, was the one who wished for time back. In reality the mentally ill girls is not a God, it was in Ian dream and that's it. Like, what would use the author for the visual representation of a God? This was the easiest option, using a person's face from your entourage.

Overall, yeah, I agree, the author did a big mess out of this novel. Is not that bad but it's also not good at all. Lots of plot-holes here and there, even tho it's a fantasy novel still some situations are really messed that you cannot find any logical sense.

7. Rakshanu

Rakshanu Immortal Ero

Reading List:
    Link
    But Iris is bastard child as far as social definitions go, mother being true heir doesn't mean anything.
    Bastard is a child born out of adultery by two unmarried people, that is what Iris is.
    The Grand duke and Iris mother were not married when she was conceived,The one mother marries is not her father, the one father marries is not her mother.

So from count eyes - bastard child whose father is not him
    Grand duke - bastard child whose mother is not his wife
    Grand duchess - bastard child whose mother is not her
    Iris mother - bastard child whose father is not her husband

In the end she is bastard child when it comes to marquise house, just instead of usually male being reason of it, it is female this time around.

Thus she would be literally chewed out in society since her whole family structure is fucked up with adultery.
    Them being childhood lovers forever, pregnant before marriage with count and sad parting is just way to make readers feel better about her being a bastard child/mother doing it.

Also that backstory is dumbest thing ever... A grand duke only below imperial family and the marchioness of extremely wealthy household could not protect their relationship? Rofl, Last i checked current grand duchess was meek bish afraid of GD and ur saying, that gd was so afraid and helpless against her that he couldn't protect his pregnant beloved ... yikes this novel truly gets dumber every time I read spoiler of it.

Also they executed the whole bloodline part dumbly aswell
    The woman who gets married off loses her rights to estate , to her father/blood related male if alive ( well he wouldn't have any if they were alive anyway) otherwise her husband nd after marriage her husband will have right to her property, this is especially true considering what period this novel is set in and everything else is depicted that way,bar this thing where to make iris strong and independent it just ruins whole social structure.
    The count at the moment of marriage was no longer count, He was a marquiss due to fact that wife estate had no one alive to inherit it, otherwise the mother would simply become countess.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    spchntrt likes this.
  8. Geedi

Geedi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I already gave up on story wise for this novel all i want is too see how her redhead get her retribution. She shouldnt have gotten away with so many things but she did

spchntrt and cherrybubbles18 like this.
  9. ZiggyMacxX

ZiggyMacxX Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait did the grand duke or watchumacallit is iris grandfather or father?? And did the grand duke will know that iris is his blood related and nera is a fake??? Sorry just asking cause from where I read chapter 100 is the end but it doesn't feel like its the ending.

10. maamhua

maamhua Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone:
    same, I'm also wondering if the Manhwa really ended or maybe just a season finale?

11. The_fairy_tactician

The_fairy_tactician Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I got a basic question. How the hell Iris uses chatroom app, search engine stuff without internet????? She got smartphone but honey you need internet to do all this stuff???

12. DOHere

DOHere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Magic

spchntrt and Veille like this.
  13. Veille

Veille Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So did Nera's mother appear again?

I mean. Where is she? She should leech out on her daughter because she's effin rich now. :blobwoah:?

In most cases, that will happen. :blobpopcorn_cool:

14. HappyGnome

HappyGnome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow, I just finished reading the Manwha. All I can say is, what the hell is this.. The plot worsens (boring and unoriginal) the further the chapters. I'm speechless. A lot of character roles were useless.. I think the author made too many characters and she/he didn't know what to do with them anymore.. Not worth buying the ridibook for this after I read the manwha. I've read so many disappointing manwhas now like Daughter of the Emperor, thankful I invested in Under the Oak tree instead. I'm just stuck to watch how Nera's fall is gonna be.

Ophelia_Hecate and Ark182 like this.
  15. Ark182

Ark182 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally, someone who understands how cliche and stupid this is,
    The Characters either love her like an idol or hate her due to jealousy and greed. There are no layers in any of them, just black and white, good or evil with no middle ground and they have little to no character development save for the FL and ML.

Oh boy, the Author really don't want anyone to sympathize with the Villains. She made the villains too one dimensional, over the top evil for no rhyme or reason other than to perpetuate the story, they also seem to get conveniently stupid and mean just when the plot needs them to be, and they behave so precisely that everything seems to fall into place for Iris and it ends up in her favor.

16. DOHere

DOHere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A random complaint. It just occurred to me that the title Iris, the lady with the smarthphone is not the best fitting for this manhwa. The smarthphone plays a very minor role and it's only been used a few times. I feel like the fact that she remembers her past life where she was betrayed was way more helpful and the smarthphone wasn't needed

17. papapa

papapa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

DOHere likes this.
  18. veneficium

veneficium Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    anyone know where i can read the novel??

19. bigredqueen

bigredqueen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s on evul Kakao :blobpensive::blob_teary: cmiiw

veneficium likes this.
  20. Celebrianna

Celebrianna ❤️‍Solo Leveling❣️

Reading List:
    Link
    This series is like a Korean makjang drama show right down to it’s birth secret, amnesia, kidnapping, impersonation, etc.. LOL Anyway, is this series on hiatus? I don’t see any new chapters after chapter 100?

Oh, and about Ian giving Liza the choice between her life and her son, this is a regular occurrence in both Korean and Chinese historical drama shows. Since they’re using the title Emperor instead of King, I assume the rules of politics follow Asian historical style politics. Liza “and” her family would all be killed in a true historical drama or her family would be turned into slaves. It’s one of the reasons why I especially don’t like to watch Korean historical drama because the politics involved a lot of bloodshed. Yes, even the good guys did that stuff because the bad guys were that bad.

I also find it crazy how this lady was masquerading her son as the emperor’s son. That in itself would result in the death penalty. That’s why no man was usually allowed in the emperor’s harem except eunuchs who were castrated anyway. It’s so shameless that she tried to pull this kind of thing off. She’d be put to death in a true Asian historical drama.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021