Is anime in danger?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by firefox1234, Jul 14, 2019.

?

Is anime in danger of losing its quality and appeal?

1. Yes, there is no quality control and things can spiral out of hand

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. No, your overreacting anime has always been this way and doesn't need foreign influences

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Maybe, but its probably just a phase(mostly by the isekai fad)that will eventually evolve on its own

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to be known as the dude making reactionary threads about an issue that may not exist but I am curious to hear from you guys if you think anime as a medium may be in danger. I know not every anime created can or needs to be some pseudo intellectuals wet dream or some brilliant work of masterpiece since I do not expect the same thing from Hollywood films and what not but when I see the barrage of isekai garbage(which is my favorite sub genre)and other shit mixed with in I worry for the anime medium. Ignoring the terrible working conditions people in the industry have been vocal about and focusing on the content, does anime run the risk of losing its appeal over time at least to foreign audiences or maybe even Japanese themselves? Would anime benefit from having a bit of foreign influence into it or does its current setting provide the best setting for it to flourish? My main concern with anime atm is that one day it may turn into a sellers market where anime studios can just put out any half made show but its fanboy/girls(probably mostly boys)will still eat it up and buy the merchandise like crazy as long as sexy waifus(and lolis)are there.

2. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    The anime industry has definately changed over the years.
    As an example, think of... whatever anime that has within the last 5-10 years actually started during that time and broadcasted more than 100 episodes.
    Any?

3. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime is trash.. and so am I.

firefox1234 and userunfriendly like this.
  4. Master

Master [Old Pervert] [Grandmaster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Same plots, same demon king, same wimpy mc, same crap truck, same random anime, same wack supporting characters.

Only type of people who enjoy these animes nowadays are same the people who still like ATG.

otaku31 and firefox1234 like this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, graphics got better (mostly except for some, like dragonball super and One punch man 2), plot is deteriorating, to not say falllen.
    Lots of new anime aren't as enjoyable, especially if you compare them to great old works, like 'rurouni kenshin'...
    It started few years back, but it feels like anime is leaving the concept of good story and is focusing more on better pictures and fan service, but then again that's only my opinion

otaku31 and firefox1234 like this.
  6. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime has been slowly losing its originality since the days of Code Geass and Full Metal Alchemist. Sure, we have some decent ones every now and then but they're all eerily similar to many other settings and plots. Let alone all the cliches and troupes.

Manga is actually, in my opinion, the first one to be hit with this and it's only gonna get worse. Pretty much all the stuff released nowadays is a rehash and a cash-grab. Doesn't automatically make them bad, just the industry is now focusing on money and quantity rather than quality like it was 15-20 years ago, where they genuinely had the passion and you NEEDED quality to get people to buy your product.

If you look at the sheer amount of BL, GL, gender bender, transgender and isekai esc type stuff coming out now compared to just a few years ago, it's staggering. This isn't a problem with the content itself, but the way companies and fans look at it. Fans could care less if it's the exact same thing they read the day before, with just different characters because it does what they want it to and they eat it up at a vast quantity. Fujoshis are the new creeper otaku's that supported the industries back in the late '80s, through the '90s and the industry reflects that. The new artists, writers and publishers KNOW they can get away with making a shoddy product because people will buy it. And this leads to a downward spiral in the quality of products and their originality.

So, all that plus the fact the world, in general, is just becoming this sesspool of globalism where politics dictate everything you do, ya, anime as a whole could lose all it's appeal and quality. But is it in danger? No. As I said, fans could care less as long as it does what they want it to. And that means it's easily exploitable making it worse for people that aren't interested in the genres the industry focuses on.

firefox1234 likes this.
  7. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    You’re not trash...you’re still recyclable.:ROFLMAO:

But yeah...a lot of stuff is trash...but like the movie industry, indie films and creative directors still produce amazing things. :p

8. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your right in saying its probably not in danger but my biggest concern is that the market for anime will start getting smaller and smaller even for Japanese standards. No more will we see anime used as a medium to push creativity to the limits but as a tool to exploit a small niche market who will defend(particularly with their wallets)there anime to the death no matter the quality, essentially becoming a sellers market.
    I won't hate on series like ATG or ToDG too much since they do serve a decent purpose in opening up first time readers to the medium, same way certain genetic isekai do. Not everyone is ready to jump straight into the heavy stuff but I do worry that anime has pushed it too far by pushing too many of these series. Even I enjoy light hearted/mindless anime like I do Micheal Bay movies but it feels like they are slowly, solely and permanently adopting a cost minimization model which has greatly hurt the overall quality. Why take risks on making a creative, out of the box anime when you can just use a full proof blueprint that can generate you profits. The fact that a fav manga of mine like Vinland Saga got animated keeps me hopeful but sadly that star gets dimmed by the rest of the dross that is getting an adaption when its clear it was most likely written by a 12 year old.