Is anime in danger?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by manhquan, Oct 21, 2019.

1. manhquan

manhquan New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to be known as the dude making reactionary threads about an issue that may not exist but I am curious to hear from you guys if you think anime as a medium may be in danger. I know not every anime created can or needs to be some pseudo intellectuals wet dream or some brilliant work of masterpiece since I do not expect the same thing from Hollywood films and what not but when I see the barrage of isekai garbage(which is my favorite sub genre)and other shit mixed with in I worry for the anime medium. Ignoring the terrible working conditions people in the industry have been vocal about and focusing on the content, does anime run the risk of losing its appeal over time at least to foreign audiences or maybe even Japanese themselves? Would anime benefit from having a bit of foreign influence into it or does its current setting provide the best setting for it to flourish? My main concern with anime atm is that one day it may turn into a sellers market where anime studios can just put out any half made show but its fanboy/girls(probably mostly boys)will still eat it up and buy the merchandise like crazy as long as sexy waifus(and lolis)are there.I don't want to be known as the dude making reactionary threads about an issue that may not exist but I am curious to hear from you guys if you think anime as a medium may be in danger. I know not every anime created can or needs to be some pseudo intellectuals wet dream or some brilliant work of masterpiece since I do not expect the same thing from Hollywood films and what not but when I see the barrage of isekai garbage(which is my favorite sub genre)and other shit mixed with in I worry for the anime medium. Ignoring the terrible working conditions people in the industry have been vocal about and focusing on the content, does anime run the risk of losing its appeal over time at least to foreign audiences or maybe even Japanese themselves? Would anime benefit from having a bit of foreign influence into it or does its current setting provide the best setting for it to flourish? My main concern with anime atm is that one day it may turn into a sellers market where anime studios can just put out any half made show but its fanboy/girls(probably mostly boys)will still eat it up and buy the merchandise like crazy as long as sexy waifus(and lolis)are there.

2. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you summary what you want to write. To many word that make my eye hurt

3. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    I like how you double-pasted.

4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    tldr

from what I skimmed, I think there are still people that like anime for the plot rather than waifus.

Alva Quinn, naghi32, Reak and 4 others like this.
  5. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    If youre gonna rant then please punctuate or else logoff, you degenerate.

Love you

Edit: Also I think everyone should watch Xamd at least once.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  6. rukbat

rukbat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    barisaku-kun will save anime

hillo315 likes this.
  7. Einzwalker

Einzwalker Cook-Protagonist Hater

Reading List:
    Link
    No.

hillo315 and ali3rd like this.
  8. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Might as well have just put in random letters, it all looks the same. nTXnixm.jpg

Alva Quinn, Reak, Buffalo_QJ and 3 others like this.
  9. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    No to western influence.
    They already tried making "adaptations" which is mostly failures.
    Also have you seen western cartoons in the past few years? Its been childproofed too much. Kiddy Ben10, Teen Titans Go and even Pokemon.
    They even ended Phineas and Ferb while still keeping Oggy and the Cockroaches.

Also dont copy paste your own message. You just repeated what you said just to make it a wall of text.

Alva Quinn, Ophious, Reak and 7 others like this.
  10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    As weird as it seems, lots of junk is a sign of success. It means there is a market for it and they are willing to throw anything at the wall.

So while like all industries it has its issues, I don't see any problem as long as gems show up once a blue moon.

Ophious and macy2 like this.
  11. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. ThunderingSnow

ThunderingSnow Sipping up a cup of chaotic good...and boba

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, last season's Carole and Tuesday was great, so was the Fruits Basket reboot. Dr. Stone is still pretty cool, and it's not isekai, and Demon Slayer was also apparently really cool (though it's not personally my cup of shoujo/jousei/shounen tea).

Reak and TrueNineLives like this.
  13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd be surprised indeed if animation lost its place on TV. In any country, but Japan in particular.

14. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, some animes with good plot do appear from time to time so I don't think the situation is as serious as that but you are right that anime is focusing more and more on graphics rather than content lately :hmm:

macy2 and Innieminnie like this.
  15. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this the Emerald Tablet?!

16. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Fixed:

Fixed.png

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Alva Quinn, Mnotia, Ophious and 7 others like this.
  17. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    ...is this satire? :hmm: This is already happening. :blobpopcorn:

Ophious, orematcha, Reak and 3 others like this.
  18. heavenlytribulation

heavenlytribulation [One Feared by All]

Reading List:
    Link
    The anime medium will disappear from foreign viewers because they are all stereotypical with nothing new that sets them apart

19. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    Bruh, lot of anime selling half assed show with loli and waifu was already a thing from decades ago. Just because some of them did it, doesn't mean every studio will follow it.
    And western influence? Do you know what western influence did to western comic? They killed it.

Delirious, Reak, macy2 and 4 others like this.
  20. macy2

macy2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime is getting very mainstream, and when things become mainstream it simply turns into a capitalistic market of lookalikes for profit. I think I can make a fair assertion that there are strong signs of it already actually. Copycat animes of popular series, repeating themes, singular seasons, and the growing amount of half-assed adaptations.

When a media industry starts losing originality, that's a bad sign.

Graphics are improving due to natural progression in skill and technology, but content? Not so much. There are outright gems but in terms of ratio to total anime series churned out annually? It can be better.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019