Discussion Is ATG Considered a Trash Novel?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by HappyHavak, Jan 22, 2019.

1. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Everybody knows that martial arts novels have a few diffrent tiers of quality. Now, while people may disagree on what tier certain novels belong, everybody seems able to agree on which novels fall into the trash-tier. Novels like PMG and MGA are good examples of this. What I'm curious about is if ATG falls into the trash tier. I know that it is plauged with much of the same issues as other trash novels, but it seems to be overall more well liked. Is it just because the characters are more interesting? Or some other similar reason? So back to the question, do you all consider ATG to be a Trash novel? Or do you think it ranks higher?

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Phillip898

Phillip898 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No i dont think so

4. dsauce

dsauce Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it.

5. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just because something is trash doesn't mean it isn't liked, often they are more liked. And that doesn't count that true snobs hate everything popular.

drewjn, Astaroth and pocketbear like this.
  6. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ATG is, objectively, trash. There is a lot of bad shit in it and zero reddeming factors involved. Some people might like it, sure, but these poor souls are lost.

7. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ATG is better than most of the novels on QI. So if you think that it is trash tier then most Cultivation novels are trash tier.

People only bash it because they compare it to DE or ISSTH on wuxiaworld.

Ruyue likes this.
  8. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you like the novel? Then it's not trash. There's nothing that's universally bad, and i hate it when someone just labels something ''trash'' with no rhyme or reason. Someone might like it, there's no reason to call it trash cuz you don't.

9. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think it depends at what point you started reading and how developed our community was and how many such novels similar to atg we had that makes it what it is

10. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most cultivation novels are trash tier.

11. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a bit biased since blue Phoenix and ATG were my first martial arts novels.

Lanfiar likes this.
  12. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well again, being biased doenst matter. Others can't tell you what you're supposed to like or not, taste is subjective, so if you liked the novel, it's not trash.

Like, who even decides if a novel is trash or not? It's not like there's some ''trash council'' that convene and vote for what novels are trash or not every week, the community is more often than not the people who put a ''trash'' label on a novel, and again, why does their opinion matter? Cuz they're a lot of people saying it? Well, i'm sure ATG, having as much chapters as it does, is popular in China, and i'm pretty sure the chinese novel community is bigger than the translated one, so do they decide what is good or not?

13. Jadiii

Jadiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A good novel is entertaining, as that is it's core purpose. If it accomplishes it's purpose, then I can't consider it a "trash" novel. Even the other novels you mentioned entertain many. While I've long since dropped it myself, it's sat on the top of NU's most read list for a long time historically. Heck, even MGA is in the top 20's and was higher previously. Does that mean every novel below that is even trashier, or other people's opinions are "trash"?

Basically, your opinion is subjective, most best-selling and popular authors don't follow whatever "fine literature" rules people whine about. In fact, the people putting forth said opinions generally don't tend to have best sellers. Go figure.

Ruyue and Arcelia like this.
  14. Kydrik

Kydrik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not bad at the start, just like tate no yuusha, and i say it's really interesting. BUT. Author make trash from it closer to 1000 chapter, it's becoming just SOOO BORING and predictable, like no other novels i readen. Really, it's a first time for me. I feel like author try to smash several events together, and that's what makes it bad. And yes, he just pick up girls right and left, some demon princess? suk min kuck. pure maiden? go wait in line, and take ur kid too. it's kinda hateable. All in all, it's disappoint me just like tate no yuusha. Just like arifureta, there are too happen things, and u think like wtf happening? But it's interesting to read, what and how author presents in ATG is mixup in a bad mixture. After events in demon realm, it's looks so bad, i wanna puke. I readen first time, but cuz' progress was bad, i dropped it. I readen it second time, and dropped it again, because it became unbearable for me to read. I can say that u may read it once, it doesn't hurt, but do you want to read to the end? I'd rated it 8/10 at the beginning, and say that there are reincarnated doctor who becoming overpowered quickly, and that' where novel drops to 1/10

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Zone Q11 and Kanna Kamui like this.
  15. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm biased coz ATG, TDG and DE were my first novels that I personally read from NU. I don't consider ATG as trash as I didn't have the feeling of quitting when I was reading it back then. The only one I finished was DE on machine trans. ATG i got till 680+ on machine trans before quitting because I got addicted to dota ceasing my reading of CN novels for a year. I still read KR and JP though because the release rate was smaller. Back to the question, lol. ATG is a great novel for me as the author put time to develop each and every one of Yun Che's bitches.

Scylox likes this.
  16. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    It was good at the beginning...
    But then everything changed when fire attack...
    Nah.. In my case, it was tournament, exgratted power level, when will he meet his child?, goddamned please stop making local wife, not really creative battle scenes

The latter part of the story end up as your everyday xianxia/wuxia novel

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Ruyue and drewjn like this.
  17. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    The trash council are a secret council that meet fortnightly. They do exist, they are just hidden deep in the shadows. They pass their edicts onto their shadow minions, who decide which is trash, and which is not and hence post the reviews on the council's behalf

Anyway ATG is a standard cultivation novel.
    So is basically considered to be meh. I wouldn't rate it as trash, but its not good.

18. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I just like the face slapping. I stop reading after he become the strongest in his world.

Ruyue, Zone Q11, colonel and 2 others like this.
  19. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t think it would rank as trash. It would be ranked along the lines of “the lowest of lows humanity could ever reach in writing”, trash is too good a word to describe ATG

Kydrik likes this.
  20. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely not unquestionable trash like MGA and PMG, for all the shit it gets it's not that bad honestly. That said, if you're looking for a novel with a focus on cultivation like ISSTH then it's not the best pick. And some of the logic used will melt your brain if you don't turn it off first.

djsosonut likes this.