Discussion Is dense MC really that bad?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rizase, Oct 28, 2017.

?

What do you think about dense or intentionally oblivious MC?

1. Love them

2. Hate them

3. No opinions

4. Other....

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rizase

Rizase Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just bored so don't mind this too much.

So I'm pretty sure that most people will agree that they dislike denser than black hole main character who will ignore any and all affections toward them, making no progress in romance and frustrated readers to no end. I was one too but recently not so much anymore.

Now that I think about it, in most stories any love interest with affections toward the MC will be very obvious to us readers, first of all because the narrations tell us so, and secondly because we can read and observer the inner thoughts/actions of the characters. If we take those things away and look from the perspective of the MC and MC alone, it suddenly become much less obvious than you'd expected.

One thing that exist in common between all MC and their love interests is that their relationships are very important to the story, be it for plot progression or maintaining balances. If not handled right then that could very well fall apart, ruining everything they built up over time.

So the question again is is it really so bad for an MC to be dense? Or kinda aware of things but trying to maintain the status quo? You could say they are a coward for not doing anything but could they really take risk with such a vital pillar? Put yourself in their shoes, would you take that risk when you don't know for sure?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Edit: Hmm, posting the spoiler out of nowhere seem to give a lot of people the wrong impression about the girl 0_0. Guys she's normally a very indifferent person, what she's doing now is very out of her character.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  2. ChivalrousNEET

ChivalrousNEET -lurker- -sophist- -procrastinator-

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel cheated by your blank spoiler.

3. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    if you ask me what they are? they're annoying existence for me.
    if you ask me if i hate them or not ofc i hate them, because when i read novel i imagine myself as MC but i'm not that dense so its annoying for me to imagine myself as them~

LoliSlave likes this.
  4. Rizase

Rizase Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't you see the images inside?

Arkantos likes this.
  5. Rizase

Rizase Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then what would you do if you are the MC?

6. Baddiez

Baddiez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Instant drop for me and I avoid any novels with the tag. You can only be so dense. Most novels I read have unrealistically dense MCs. Similar to forced romance that a lot of people hate or harems it's basically forced breaks on the romance. Special fuck you to novels with "reincarnated MC's" that are in their 30s + that still can't understand when a girl clearly projects their feelings towards them.

kingreal92 and Arkantos like this.
  7. yotae

yotae Drunkard Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    A dense Mc is not good or bad, the fault is the writer's writing style, he can make a dense MC likable like asta in "black clover" or an irritable mc.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    those kind of MC are clearly my source of entertainment~
    for comedy sake~
    19668.png

9. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Intentionally oblivious MC and dense MC are completely different aren't they? The former acts dumb to avoid stuff, while the latter...is dumb.

I have no problems with the former. The latter...it depends. I can understand if the MC can't understand subtle hints, but MC's who can't understand that the girl/s like him even though they do everything short of pushing him down and f***ing him to show their love, then there's something wrong with him head.

Risus, LyraTepes, MangoGuy and 4 others like this.
  10. ChivalrousNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate them cause in some novels, there are girls that are prectically throwing themselves at the mc giving huge, and I mean HUGE hints that he or she likes the mc, and some even straight up saying they like the mc bur the mc passes it off as a joke. If you dont call that dense then you might as well say that osmium is as dense as aerogel.

11. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    when a female lead confess to the mc or she is obvious about it but he is still dense...that sucks and rage inducing

12. GembelELITE

GembelELITE low-profile member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow that girl is badass
    [​IMG]
    Kick his ass, a guy like him deserve a kick.. :sushi_singing::blobdead::blobfistbumpR:

13. Rhypnic

Rhypnic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just following the crowd...sometimes when i read bad novels or mangas, in the comment it always have *dense protagonist* word so yup i hate them.....of course after reading the novel i also didn't like the protagonist

14. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What manga is that now I've read it I wanna read more damn it

Arkantos and Dravileo like this.
  15. ChivalrousNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    His *fixed*

16. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is hoozuki-san chi no aneki + imoto

17. ChivalrousNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope

18. OriginalChaser

OriginalChaser Dying as a Human

Reading List:
    Link
    If the MC is dense for a prolonged period of time then yeah, I really start to dislike them, granted it also depends on the situation. If the MC keeps trying to live a normal life and is oblivious to say a sword fight right around the corner cause they are wearing headphones (Amazon ad about a pair of headphones that worked so well that the guy did not hear the murder upstairs) then it's a little funny, but to be constantly unaware when someone makes advances towards, like seriously blatant and obvious advances, unless the MC is faking it cause they do not want to be involved, the the character can just drop dead with a series cancellation.

(granted I myself have been oblivious to peoples advances, and only realized years later after said person gave up and married someone else...)

19. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    So a girl with a bag full of books, school items, etc, beating the shit out of a defenseless guy is badass? Ya know, where I'm from, she'd be called a cunt.

20. Rivenn

Rivenn 【I eat fruit】【commonhouseman】【RV_n/Rivelle】

Reading List:
    Link
    depends.
    well being dense is a minus but that doesn't make me hate them. It adds to the comedy so why not~
    although Ichika is a prime example of how dense levels exceeding blackholes is possible