Discussion Is Getting a Driving License Necessary?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scrya, Sep 4, 2018.

?

Should I get myself a driving license?

1. Totally Yes!

27 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. Yes, but only if you have the time and money

36 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. No.

11 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Scrya

Scrya Lurking all day long~

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have been reading up about driving and driving licenses recently due to my assignment. In the beginning, when I first reached the legal age to get a license, I didn't really think it was necessary. After all, Singapore is small, and the public transportation system here is generally efficient and gets me almost everywhere around the country. Not to mention the cost of owning a car here is tremendous, it's basically one of the signs of wealth over here. So unless I have spare 100,000 dollars to throw, there isn't really a need for a car, so I don't need a license either, right?

However, I realized that if I were to head on overseas, renting a car to get around would be good. And when I found out how easy it is to get an international driving license and renew it, it would definitely make things more convenient in the long run.

But school is eating a lot of my time, so I doubt I can have a consistent driving lesson schedule. Not to mention I'm an absolute klutz with terrible hand-eye coordination, so I will definitely take a longer time to learn. And like I said above, I can get to almost everywhere in my country quickly just by public transportation.

What about you guys though? Do you all have a driving license and a car of your own? Why did you get one? And should I get one then?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  2. 12300

12300 [How many sheep can Snorlax count?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I get to everywhere with public transportation. You don't need the driver's license. Unless you want to go to places faster. If you don't mind the time spent in the bus or train, its okay.

3. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Get one, you don't know when you will have an emergency
    Although you said that the public transportation is already good in your country, I still think that getting one is not a burden

Rumby, Wyntile, ChickenBakuba and 3 others like this.
  4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wait for the zombie apocalypse and then you won't need any drivers licence! ezpz

DSYS, Bad Storm, Kokuyasou and 4 others like this.
  5. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could get a driving license right now, but personally i don't want to, because i honestly feel like it's too much responsibility, yknow, driving around in a 2-3 ton heavy metal machine. I'd be so scared all the time while driving, fearing suddenly having a twitch or something and then just driving into someone else. So, if imma ever get something, it's going to be something small like a scooter or motorcycle.

But, i believe if you have the money for it, you should totally get one. It is pretty handy to have one, even if you don't need one currently, and even if you don't own a car, you can always rent or borrow if you really need it. Or if you went out with friends or something, it would also be pretty nice having a backup driver. So yeah, get one if you can.

Edit: and, having it as backup is also great. Imagine you some day really had to get somewhere within a certain time, but public transport was really slow.

Scrya and Black Parcher like this.
  6. Privatejoker

Privatejoker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would think that choice would depend on how much time you would expect to spend overseas actually using a car and driving yourself if that is your primary motivation. Public transit or ride-sharing would most likely facilitate most of your needs on shorter trips. However if you expect to spend long periods of time, i.e. months in other countries in which driving yourself around would be convenient then I think getting a licence would be as time and finances allow.

Scrya and Black Parcher like this.
  7. Black Parcher

Black Parcher The Eternal World Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I can't speak for your country but if you ever planning to travel then it's best to have one just in case something happens. Other countries tend to ask for two forms of id

8. Faetro

Faetro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's good to learn how, even if you don't need it or use it much.

As for the license, you don't need it, just don't get caught without it. Maybe that will make you a better driver, too, haha.

IRandomGuy and Black Parcher like this.
  9. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    My country is corrupt AF and in my city the system regarding driving license is beyond salvation. I know how to drive very well but since I didnt pay lesson in their own academies then they failed me again and again. So if there isn't problems like this then get one just for formalities at least.

10. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I learned to drive after freezing my behind off at a bus station when I started working. If you live in a city with good public transport you don’t NEED a car, but say you go abroad for a vacation? Or say your friend/s wants to drink and let you drive his/her car for them? Or what if there is an emergency and you need to drive your parent/ simbling to a hospital or whatever?

However please note that even if you pass the theory test and the practical test, unless you get to drive regularly in the first few years after getting a license you are most likely to forget a lot of things.

So besides the cost of car, petrol, parking and INSURANCE (hwll my insurance costs more than my car) also think about the actual skills that require some practice especially for beginners. Otherwise it’s money wasted when learning with the instructor.

Technically people who live in cities do not need to drive. So probably wait a few years before getting a license.

11. Scrya

Scrya Lurking all day long~

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how renting cars work over here, but wouldn't it take a long time to pick up the car after applying for the rent usually? I wouldn't consider that as an option if I'm in a hurry then? Cabs would suffice!

Not having a license sounds dangerous. lol.

12. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    No.. .
    But if cops ask for license and you don't get it, don't get mad for getting fined

13. Black Parcher

Black Parcher The Eternal World Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have both car and license but are use more in america s a form of proving who you are. You can't get seen in hospital if you don't have id or a job without one as proof f who you are.

14. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll get one when someone mentioned that I need it in my life as a whole like if I get a job that demand that I need it. either way if you want to go around with car get a friend that have license to go with you and make her/him drive you anywhere.

15. MidnightHaze45

MidnightHaze45 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I drive a motorbike without a license so....

16. apricotsoda

apricotsoda Shy Shy Shy

Reading List:
    Link
    For me yes, it is a Valid I.D even if I dont have a car and can become handy if one of my friend is drunk I can drive him home.

Bad Storm likes this.
  17. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it really depends on situation actually. If you're using public trans multiple times before arriving to your workplace or school, better off buying a car, for the long run. It saves time and money.

Yes, I do have a car, I used to go to work before because public transport has static routes and daily taxi fee is expensive either.

18. Legacy611

Legacy611 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on where you live, I'm in Michigan and there is basically no alternative to driving. I know some places have subways and such but not here.

19. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are planning to ever go to the United States of America, then I would recommend it. As @Legacy611 mentioned, in some places there is not much alternative to driving. Especially if you are in a more rural part of the States. Or just a city with shitty public transportation.

20. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    For insurance purposes it's good to get it sooner than later