Discussion Is Getting a Driving License Necessary?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scrya, Sep 4, 2018.

?

Should I get myself a driving license?

1. Totally Yes!

27 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. Yes, but only if you have the time and money

36 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. No.

11 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like driving but yes it is necessary

2. NIlsy

NIlsy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Suppose it comes down partly to how much it costs to get a licence.
    Good thing about a licence is that its for life so its a investment you just need to find a use for during the next 50+ years thats quite a big time frame to find a use for it.
    But it takes a long while likely before that money and time spent has broke even maybe 20 years or longer if you only use it during vacations and suchwise.

Scrya likes this.
  3. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    In indonesia it's best if you have your own vehicle

Disgusting likes this.
  4. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    I have driving licences, and it has lot of good use for me.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have a driving license and I don't use it because I'm terrible at driving and sometimes I panic a bit and freeze on the spot while handling the car.

At one point I was parking the car and just needed to push the brake slowly and make the car stop... Well, my feet refused to move and I just kinda tried to move the car away because my arms were still working somehow... So... Well, the car hit the car in front of mine... It was only a very small bruise because my car was super slow, but it was still annoying... I gave up on driving after that day.

And btw, public transport in my country is pretty terrible, so... To conclude... No, you don't need a driver's license, it's unnecessary, you can make do with buses even in countries with bad public transport~

Scrya likes this.
  6. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it depends on one's necessities and it's pretty subjective. Ofc passion can help too if there's.

Scrya likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have car driving license cuz I don't use car
    wait~ I mean it expired long time ago~
    there saying around various vehicle drivers who I personally know which is
    "On the road, when you are driving car, you hit something or something hit you~ so, it is good idea to have license despite it expired because it show at least you know how to drive legally"

Scrya likes this.
  8. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have license for both motorcycle and car, but it's mostly because it's impossible to go anywhere without personal vehicle. I wish we have more public transportation

Scrya likes this.
  9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't have. I bum rides to work, or I can walk if I really have to.

For me it's a question of necessity. I don't need a car to get anywhere I want to go (which is not particularly far). If you need one to ensure your autonomy, livelihood or ability to travel... well, why not? Just make sure you *need* it. Which means paying insurance, gas prices, car maintenance and repairs... It's a huge financial commitment.

But this is from the perspective of the U.S. and car ownership. I don't know anything about international licenses or rentals overseas.

Scrya likes this.
  10. Scrya

Scrya Lurking all day long~

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot to thank everyone for the replies. Hoho. Yeah, thanks everyone! For now, I don't think I will be getting one since it isn't necessary. Plus, it really seems to require a lot of time to get a driving license here in Singapore, time which I don't have right now. Orz. Thanks everyone again!

11. Ddragonesse

Ddragonesse 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I got my license because my family lived in the middle of nowhere. The only other option besindes diriving myself was begging my parents to take me somewhere or take a two hour walk to reach the bus. Since I didn't want to do that anymore I got a license. But I'm currently living in the city and since parking is a big problem I don't own a car. If I really need one I borrow it from my parents but that rarely ever happens. I don't think you NEED one. But If you can somehow fit the time and have the money: haceing a license is never wrong. Just in case you need it. Driving a car is a bit like driving a bike - once you know how to do it you won't forget how to even if you don't drive for some years

12. DSYS

DSYS Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well you have more time while u are still a student; by the time you are a young working adult, you might not have the time to get the driver license. IMO its best to bite the bullet and obtain your license early. and the cost of getting the license increases with time.

Anown likes this.
  13. gomeshelen

gomeshelen Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think yes, it's necessity. I'm 24 (turning 25 in 2 months), and I don't have a driver's license. I wasn't taught properly when I was a teenager, so I spent my college years taking the bus and always asking my friends for rides, which was pretty embarrassing for me. Now I want to get a driving license in the near future.

14. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Boil it down to necessity. Depends on Job, Locale, ease of getting around.

- If where you are traveling to requires a license {need a rental car to get around} then 'Yes'
    - If your legal job requires you to have one {delivery driver} then 'Yes'
    - If your situated in area which does not have public transportation and (walking is not a viable means of traveling) then 'Yes'

Besides other situations which driving license is a requirement, its more or less a luxurious privilege.

15. ChivalrousNEET

ChivalrousNEET -lurker- -sophist- -procrastinator-

Reading List:
    Link
  16. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, yeah it could also act as a ID and insurances purposes at the same time if by chance you get a car then you won't need to line up to a DMV or something to get your license. It could also help you when you're going to other countries and you want to rent a car or something.

17. Anown

Anown Test

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a bicycle or electric scooter.