Discussion Is God and Devil world?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Kamal, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Kamal

Kamal uhmmm... hmmm... are you serious?

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the God and Devil World any good to catch up on? I stopped reading around when he gets to a convience store and tells them to stay there. Read it a while back, thought it was interesting and different however I stopped reading it to build on the chapters. Just checked it out today and it comes under martial arts?

1. Is there really cultivation in this?
    2. Does it get more interesting than him using a skeleton to fight for him?
    3. Has the story plot thicken or even been explained yet? Or is his goal to just get stronger?

Sorry for wasting your time :) but I don't really want to read something that hasn't really gotten to the point. Ze Tian Ji was a killer for me and the starting of ATG was horrendously slow imo.

2. godofmochi

godofmochi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I've heard that the translator is really cool and handsome~
    Btw, here is my opinion on it:
    Chapters: 210+
    Quality: first 60 need lots of editing, after that, most chapters have good grammar
    Plot: interesting, maybe a little repetitive. Mc has a whole armory of plot armor, but he gets quite strong in a short period of time, although he's not shuras wrath level OP.
    Morals: Nope. Although it's set in an apocalypse world, it does go a bit over the top sometimes. When explaining the MC's rash judgements though and trying to prove that they are correct, it's not quite pmg level.
    Overall, it's worth checking out. MC is quite OP and although there isn't a lot of character development, the plot is interesting to say the least.

LordCorwin and Kamal like this.
  3. Aure94100

Aure94100 French Cultivator from the No-Time Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    No cultivation ... it's a game system.
    Yes, it's very interesting as far as I know. It's a really savage world who reveal to us how human's morality can regress when humans aren't under law. It shows human's monstuosity. It can even be shocking sometimes.

There's indeed a xanxia goal to become stronger but there's also a big plot about how humanity survived, established itself in this new world and how our MC's personnality will adapt and fit in.

It's quite realistic ... even in this supernatural post-apocalyptic world. That's why it's really worth it.

Kamal and godofmochi like this.
  4. Big Boy

Big Boy Weeabo Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a clusterfuck. The story is flat, and there's not a lot of suspense. It's sort of interesting around the beginning of the 2nd arc, but it just goes downhill from there. The current arc is just trash. No real "cultivation" per se. The MC just grows stronger and stronger until levels don't even matter anymore. His "skeleton" isn't really that relevant later on, but he finds a different use for him. The characters and themes are extremely well done, but the plot itself just becomes a desperate attention-grab in later chapters (raws).

Risus and Kamal like this.
  5. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped reading it when the old translator stopped translating it due to the anti japanese racism. Also looking back at it the story itself how ever justified is just not an enjoyable read with the attitudes of the people in the world. The concept is awesome and I was enjoying it but the negatives outweighed the positives for me in the end.

Asf, Slimikyi and Kamal like this.
  6. NexusFlamehart

NexusFlamehart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You stopped somewhere in the first 20 chapters I believe, so with over 200 chapters you've built up sufficiently. There is no cultivation but it has a largely unexplained EXP system, just kill monsters and you level up thats about all there is to it. The fights do get better and eventually strategy comes into play if only a small amount of it. The overall plot is beginning to shift from pure survival from what I can tell but overall its effectively just "Get Stronger to not die."

Kamal likes this.
  7. Aure94100

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the author is racist. I think he set up this racism state of mind on purpose because he is making a simulation of his own country in a post-apocalyptic situation. And he know what his country think of Japan.

Risus likes this.
  8. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    You can justify what ever you want, it just stopped being enjoyable to me at that point for me. XD

9. godofmochi

godofmochi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Let's just all be friends and sing kumbaya together~

Kamal likes this.
  10. Skool

Skool Sword Immortal Heavenbreaker

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't know why no one like God and Devil world, but i like it!!!!!
    Mc is a Warlord in a Modern day apocalypse
    10/10
    ../.. your opinion people!!!

Kamal likes this.
  11. Kamal

Kamal uhmmm... hmmm... are you serious?

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol looks like I'm just going to the current ones and wait till it gets more chapters and make a new thread.
    Thanks for the answers :)

12. Aure94100

Reading List:
    Link
    Because people don't like when a story is a little too realistic and dark about humanity's behaviour.

13. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    While improving his strength, the MC removes the old corrupt society, and instead implements a mostly pragmatic, postapocalyptic adapted system which generally works.
    Originially, he just wanted to get his people to safety , build up strength then go find his family, but he kept running into the corrupt system's work at hand, and various oppurtunities tochange, so he kept at it.

Winged Basilisk likes this.
  14. Winged Basilisk

Winged Basilisk [Lord of Lurkers]

Reading List:
    Link
    The story is simple in that it's just get stronger, survive, and get girls pretty much. A lot of cruelty and greed is in it but the descriptions aren't really long. Racism is there but it's not a big part of the story plus this isn't America where everyone's pc and that type of racial superiority is in Japan as well as China in real life.

The fights are good and the characters at least to me aren't 2 dimensional that's including side characters. Although he gets stronger it's hard to find other as strong as him in the story. The skeleton right is more of support than the main fighter. I wouldn't say this has great plot as it's mostly about serving and meeting new people so goals aren't that visible.

godofmochi likes this.
  15. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Well um... I read it and I think its ok, but the story itself isn't all that great. The only reason I actually like it is cause of the theme of modern fantasy (my favorite genre second to high fantasy!) Other than that the story isn't actually all that great in my opinion. The MC is sorta becomes an asshole, as he went from strict guy trying to help people to "you f*** with me and ill r*** your a**!" I guess hes still trying to help people, but somehow it went from I save people cuz its my morals(the mc honestly didn't have many to begin with) to I save people because they can help me later. Also, the other characters sorta become obsolete after a period of time, except the pretty girls. I mean, when was the last time he actually had a talk with his best friend?!? Like a fifty chapters ago? Another thing is, its a rpg world, yet I aint gotta clue what the mcs stats are. Honestly I think that the author just doesnt really give much more than a thought that a game world is like you know, a game. Only time you remember its a game world is when the mc levels up.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  16. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The... Idea of God & Devil World tends to be the thing that makes it interesting, rather then its execution, unfortunately. It's a really cool concept, but the writer really just wanted to write an apocalyptic super-power novel and used the game-analogy to get out of explaining cultivation. He doesn't really embrace the game system aspects, and they're rarely even mentioned and never explained at this point. For me, at this point, it's something I read occasionally because I'm invested in it, but if I could stop myself from ever starting, I would.

godofmochi and TaoistImmortal like this.
  17. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah, no...if this story really went into the characters mindsets and developed it properly no matter how dark it was I would have enjoyed this story. Besides the absence of any character development that I would find acceptable, there is the vague EXP/game system that just gets forgotten, I don't even know what the MCs stats look like, which bothers me, he just says put one here and two there then moves on.

I don't understand why there is no one on the MCs level are you telling me that he is like the luckiest man in China or something? No one got something better or just as great as White Bones in the beginning?
    What the MC did that makes him such a natural leader/fighter before the world changed is unclear. It would be great if the author described and developed him in a way that will make the struggles of becoming a good leader more apparent...wait is the MC even a leader? He just kills stuff, gets supplies, and delegates things that aren't directly related to combat to others...I don't dislike this.

Why don't people try to backstab the MC more in a try for power? That would be more realistic in such a apocalyptic world.
    Of course I realize his power is a great deterence from betrayal, but there should be people willing to take a risk.

Now, I must admit that I'm behind on this story, at the part where the MC is scouting out the massive Zombie/Monster army horde thingy so I may have missed important explanations that become visible with the furthering of the story.

18. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    The gaming system is what made sparks my interest in this perticular novel.. but along the way, it just dies down/ dissapear completely.. along with my interest in it.

19. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    There's not really any need to constantly mention all his stats, except when he maybe gains in one or more of them. For the exp? As his level, it would take tens of thousands of zombies to level, so he generally just levels up when facing tougher beings.

I've read ahead in the raws a bit, but there generally aren't that many people at his exact level, due to one or several reasons.

a) He's always at the frontlines, he's never one to command from the rear (yet).
    b) He got lucky with white bones and several other drops
    c) Other people aren't aware of the beads & nuclei inside the mutant beasts
    d) Other people don't take as many risks, instead have their subordinates fight and then just take the loot
    e) They like to rely on modern arms more than the system arms

As for leadership ?

a) What he's taken over so far, he has generally been the strongest individual in that group, or otherwise possessed the most military forces in the group
    b) He abolished the corrupt bureaucracy, implementing a system where rewards come from labor, instead of connections
    c) He knows he's not a perfect leader, but he delegates stuff to those who know how to handle it, and then primarily serve as the icon / monarch / ruler / general
    d) When he took control, most people who would vehemently oppose it were already dead or weakened, leading to a smooth takeover
    e) He's not really given anyone in position afterwards a reason to rebel, because they're in position due to him. Anyone who isn't, hasn't proved their worth, and therefore might not necessarily have any forces to rebel with, especially against his elites.