Discussion Is imagination more important than knowledge?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CDLevit, Aug 9, 2016.

?

Is imagination more important that knowledge?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Sometimes/depends

4. Don't know

5. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gehoji

Gehoji Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Serious time. Imagination leads to dreams. Dreams lead to ideas. Ideas lead to knowledge.

Why can we fly through the sky? Someone had a dream.
    Why do we have the internet? Someone had a dream.
    Why can we go into space? Someone had a dream.

You tell me if imagination is more important than knowledge.

CDLevit likes this.
  2. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    Knowledge without imagination would have left us in the stone age...we would have nothing we currently have. We would look for caves, but not build houses because although rocks protect us, we have no way of 'imagining' building a cave. We could only find, never create. Creation starts from imagination. However imagination requires knowledge to complete creation. I also did say, 'in the hands of idiots' obviously implying it was a bad idea.

3. MaidChan

MaidChan 『Battlemaid』 『TRAP』 『Homeless Maid』

Reading List:
    Link
    Goats are the pinnacle of both knowledge and imagination, you should go and ask them.

4. pandicorn

pandicorn ® Ruler of Gay Pandas ®

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't you learned anything from xianxia. Its yin yang. Both are co-dependent on each other. Nobody can create magnificient art without the knowledge to paint whilst nobody can code ingenious programs without the creativity to shape it. To decide whether one is more important than the other is to ask whether lungs or oxygen is more important. Without lungs, u can swim in oxygen but still die. Without oxygen, you can have lungs the size of mount tai and still die (with an ugly disproportionate body) of course excluding KI. All in all. To succeed. Mesh up ur creativity and knowledge to create whatever it is in that heas of yours

Shio and nguuuquaaa like this.
  5. NovelsJapan

NovelsJapan |||Master of T-shirts|||「死にたい」「助けて」

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagination comes from knowledge, without knowledge one can't imagine anything..so the first priority would be knowledge no matter what situation one is in

6. moevora

moevora [Ero Peach]

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagination are illusion..
    Knowledge are self-delusion..
    The fusion grants perfection..
    lol :ROFLMAO:

7. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    We can create computer programs that can beat chess masters, the thing is those programs are unimaginative.

8. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you dumb like rock you imagine the things in front of you floating that's as far as imagination without knowledge will give you.... kinda like teaching a monkey to master bait vs teaching a monkey to smoke both will only keep doing that 1 thing not knowing if there's anything more

9. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    i clearly said that knowledge with imagination is a lot better though.
    I'm not saying that a world filled with people with only knowledge is good. I'm saying that in this world of ours filled with people with both imagination and knowledge (in varying degrees of both) a person with only knowledge could contribute more than a person with only imagination

Greedyspree likes this.
  10. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the time...if we are lacking either aspect, we could never get to where we are today, either means would trap us in the stone ages, or extinction for that matter. Neither alone from the start can contribute anything. Though if we were to lose one now, you are certainly correct.

11. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagination without knowledge is just a baseless idea
    but Knowledge without Imagination is dull and stagnant
    p/s if there is no imagination, there will be no oldman jump out from bathtub naked shouting "Eureka"

12. Bacon

Bacon [Moon Dweller][Cosmic Anomaly][Your Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    They both complement each other very well. But I feel deciding which is more important depends on the situation. If you can only imagine what food is you will die of starvation. Though if you have knowledge of what food is you will survive a little longer and be less likely to die hungry.

On the other hand if you have knowledge of how a bird flies it does nothing for you. Though if you can Imagine ways to make yourself be able to fly you can experiment with it and turn it all into more knowledge later on. This will also cause helping someone stuck dangling off the sheer side of a cliff become much easier. It's like making a cake from scratch. Sure all the ingredients may be edible but there only become the god of perfection incarnate when everything is put together in a way that they all complement each other.

So don't mess with cakes.

13. nguuuquaaa

nguuuquaaa 『Grade SSS Hentai Genius Supervert』

Reading List:
    Link
    This feels like 'egg or chicken first' all over.
    Knowledge leads to imagination, imagination leads to new knowledge.

14. novalance

novalance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Weird... I know Einstein had quite a bit of quotes... This one though that I am surprised he would say something like that.

As others have said they are co-dependent of each other and expand each other. Although, I would argue curiosity is technically more important... You can have an imagination, but its based on the knowledge you currently have... Imagination is not necessarily about expanding knowledge but I would define it as being able to visualize things, which isn't necessarily pertaining to factual knowledge either... Curiosity, though is not being afraid of exploring something that isn't known, which is principally what expands knowledge which enhances imagination, specific or non-specific..