Discussion Is it always this way?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Professor Baka De DeluPerv, May 28, 2022.

1. Professor Baka De DeluPerv

Professor Baka De DeluPerv Consumer of Plastic Toys

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently I've felt like that novels with a "damages good" heroine are always written far better than your typical innocent(naive) JK heroine. Is this true for everyone else? Or am I just getting un/lucky with my choice in novels?

Mnotia and Lemonlyn like this.
  2. Lemonlyn

Lemonlyn ♥[ Incubus ] Onee-san Seducer♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Well damaged goods heroines usually have this worldy knowledge and is less... dumb. they have common sense and maybe that's why it's more enjoyable to read?

3. Zom the Monk

Zom the Monk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More relatable/sympathetic towards as we are all broken in some ways?

4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    they seem wiser and make better decisions that an average jk. you might be growing older so you prefer the former

5. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    White cat is a "Mary Sue pretending to be a damaged goods heroine." Way too convenient to be an interesting story. It’s hit or miss, but you can kinda tell in the description which ones actually take the flaw into account and which one has a drama queen mc.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  6. Goblinslate

Goblinslate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more like they have more experience, and know how to choose good from bad.

Sabruness likes this.
  7. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    no, you're not unlucky or wrong. They are honestly better because they feel more realistic, relatable and sympathetic.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We have more expectation for damage good, whether they'll turn better or worse or just stop.
    It's difficult to like superman/clark kent when you have batman/bruce wayne.

9. bertvz

bertvz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i feel like this is true in some ways. people are imperfect, but since characters in stories are a figment of imagination, it's okay for a character to be perfect, but that is rarely ever interesting. i think having a character who is broken or imperfect to some extent gives them room to grow, which makes for a more exciting story and character development.

10. WordEater

WordEater Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like innocent protagonists and I'm all for it when they heal the hearts of everyone around them as well as when they're doted in return but that's it. When it comes to damaged characters, they make my emotions come alive-both protagonists and antagonists.

11. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I just think this is an extension of the "deeply flawed protagonist" attraction.

If you think about it, every protagonist is exactly the same in terms of personality, reaction, desires, dreams...etc. They are printed from the exact same mold. Overtime it gets boring really quick and the only thing that can make a difference is a very very good villain which is hard to make without turning him into canon fodder.

So you have to cripple the protagonist somehow. Weaken or even out right cut off a piece of him to make him imperfect. Like superman with kryptonite. Then the moment they overcome their shortcomings is when they "growth" and you have a story.

asriu likes this.
  12. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm finding that to be true too.

I hate the female mc's that just let shit happen to them but for some reason I'm starting to enjoy female mc's that just go "Fuck you I'm leaving and I'm taking the safe, you fuckin dickhead".

Maybe its because I feel like theyre more attractive?

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    well define damage good tho~
    you mean widow? physical defect? typical "our engagement is annulled!"? victim of rape or abuse?

on general for mature content on side of drama problem be it innocence or experience the character generally more well written~
    so imo it more about the target of audience hmm like shoujo and josei stuff so genre perhaps~