Is it just me? & My rant

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Keon, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Keon

Keon Legend of Xingfeng TL

Reading List:
    Link
    I am feeling so down with so much negativity now. I understand the readers wanting the translated story to be more of a better grammar thing and I am okay with it. So I have recruited editors. Time and time proves to show me that it is either I suck or the novel sucks. They just keep disappearing after some touch onto the chapter. By far, the longest run the editor was like 3 chapters. The worst is that someone just jumps from my ship onto someone's else and mine was ignored. So, should I just drop this novel that I am translating?

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    What's your novel?

3. Keon

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of Xingfeng.

4. ReaderBot

ReaderBot Android R-18 Series Winter Edition

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember what makes you translate it.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh.. Sorry I didn't read that novel. But cheer up.

6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What about using open to edit method? You could post your un-edited text to google drive/ other text based site that allow other to edit/proof read your translation. Pretty much like baka-tsuki

Potato likes this.
  7. Keon

Reading List:
    Link
    Erm. That will be that I have nothing else to do. Tired of waiting for the novel releases and my homework so I pick up something to do which will occupy my time by a huge margin.

8. Keon

Reading List:
    Link
    :( I wish I could but I have low IT skills and am afraid that I have dragged in trolls into the folder which will make things very messy.

9. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than forcing to do something that makes you depressed, letting it go is also an option, maybe it just meens you have more to learn before you continue. If the novel isnt working for you.. just drop it and find another one that do..

10. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Join project with another group?

If you are feeling down, it's fine to take one or two weeks of breaks. After the breaks, see if you started to miss translating or if you feel glad that it's over. You should know what to do then. Translating is never a responsibility that you need to shoulder alone. It's sad when a project stopped being translated, but a person is more important than translation.

Poor_Hero and Suijin like this.
  11. Larkan

Larkan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That novel is from IET well i am not a fan of his works , but yep editors that disappear after a few chapters are common,
    My english isn't that great so i can't help u there sorry

12. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    You're offering a service, and if you don't want to offer the service anymore, it's within your right to stop doing so. If you're not enjoying it, why would you do it? Different people get different things out of translating. Maybe they enjoy the translation process itself, maybe they enjoy talking with readers about the chapters, maybe they get a sense of satisfaction by being able to translate a raw that they enjoyed so others can enjoy it too. Maybe they enjoy donations. You have to work out what exactly you get out of translating.

Ultimately, if you're just looking for a timesink, there's probably other things you can do that you would enjoy more, considering what you've said. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. However, if you do enjoy it, work out what exactly you enjoy about it. From there you can try and pick yourself back up. As @Shio said, take a break. If you're happier on break, and dread going back to translating, you know what to do.

Poor_Hero, Daily and Shio like this.
  13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you're looking for a timesink. Then I would reccomend Solitaire or Minesweeper.

14. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna say it's the novel's fault but that can't really be... I mean, just look at CCM and @TaffyGirl13... Even though most people openly hates the novel and tell her to drop it, she's still going with it. Some people even started to read it again just for the cringe.

If you really can't work on it by yourself as much as you want to, maybe it's time to let it go, have others pick it up if they want to, and work on something else that people can support you with.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  15. NinetH

NinetH Demon Yuri lord....lazy guy

Reading List:
    Link
    whenever i feel bad (in body or in mind), i don't translate at all. translating in that state just makes the translation same as your condition. and readers and you too don't want bad translation, so rest up and make your condition best and produce your best translation.

and Editors are like mercenaries they take up your request but they're not bound to you. if you want them to stick up to you make them your vassals(friends), so talk to them and have fun working together.

Poor_Hero and Daily like this.
  16. JEI

JEI The black riding hood, Little white

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't have anyone you can interact with(other translators, editors, readers) anymore when translating and /or you aren't having FUN anymore, then STOP. I mean, it's fun when you have someone you can talk with as the novel develops but "no man is an island", it sux when you're already talking with nobody. Take a break for as long as you want, or you can find other novels as well, try to find a novel that you can have connections to your readers or somebody as much as possible, I think that's pretty much the purpose of any novels out there whatever genre or language, to CONNECT.

or maybe I'm just talking garbage here, please don't mind me. :D

Poor_Hero likes this.
  17. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Let it go~
    Let it go~
    Lalala~ lala~ la la~