is it just me or are novels literally all the exact same these days

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Meloonseed, Jan 1, 2022.

1. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    it sounds cool.

2. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I also felt that some novel just use the exact same tropes and premise of other popular novel.
    More so for the cultivation, VRMMO, dungeon hunting, isekai cheating, isekai slice of life, revenge drama queen or modern face slapping genre..
    But some thats unique do exist.
    But theres nothing wrong to like them if you enjoy those generic novels and tropes..

3. Diagon Alleycat

Diagon Alleycat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to agree with you that almost all stories are the same because in most novels, the MC breathes air, money exists and can be spent, and if people are killed, they are dead. That is 3 out of 3 major similarities and more can be found. So that makes all the stories similar to each other.
    OR
    The paradox of looking for similarities in different stories means you will find them. Almost every MC breathes air.... So, why not just enjoy the stories for their writing differences because if you try to not enjoy a story by looking for similarities to others, then you are being self-defeating. You can look at stories from different genres that are on DIFFERENT websites. You will discover a better variety of stories that way due to staff members having different viewpoints as to what they add or choose to not add. This is because one website may have volunteers that are currently listing stories they find, and they are probably looking at pools of the same story genre. Therefore, if you came back to the same aggregator website a month later, you'd see a different flavor being added.

If you want recommendations, click on my reading list link. We have some reading list overlap, so you may like the others in my reading list.

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you only read the same genre, the same theme, then yes they all are the same these days. Because trends set is the key to popularity.

5. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    UHHHHHHHHHHH youre not supposed to look at my reading list
    gotta go clean it out heHE

Diagon Alleycat likes this.
  6. Diagon Alleycat

Diagon Alleycat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do take a look at the story of Mediterranean Hegemon of Ancient Greece and be sure to look at each chapter's comments. The readers have put in maps since the author didn't provide any. They're handy to let you keep track where the action is happening since there are so many characters.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  7. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    As you read more webnovels it become harder and harder to get satisfied, a webnovel that have same theme and story like old novel you had read will no longer have same appeal to you nowdays. But sometime I find a gem among haystack, that's I always read 5-10 chapters before decide if the it's worth to be read.

Up-chan likes this.
  8. Up-chan

Up-chan ★Anti-Bullying Brigade★

Reading List:
    Link
    My life is literally trudging through garbage to find the gem orz...

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  9. NyanTL

NyanTL Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    chinese transmigration do get repetitive. try some modern day highschool drama novel for a change.

10. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    See I don't understand this thread. Sure there are a lot of novels out there that share similar plots and storylines, but nobody is forcing you to read them, so where's the problem? It's like someone feeling tired of watching soccer matches so he switches from watching Premier League to Serie A and then complaining that the matches still samey! In this case, wouldn't it make more sense to watch something other than soccer?

In any case, I don't think that repetitive storylines is the problem at all. I think that the issue is that people are reading books that aren't particularly well written. Now, when you first start reading a particular kind of story it can be hard to identify what kind of problems it has, but when you've seen the same kind of problem for the tenth time, the flaws become a lot more apparent. If you were to put the same story into the hands of a good writer, those same flaws won't show up any more and the reading experience will be much better. So in other words, just read better books!

I've read a ton of novels and I don't find this to be true at all. Sure I like reading bad books, but I like reading good ones as well, and I don't have any difficulty finding the latter. Now everyone is going to have different opinions on what's good but I doubt I'm particularly more forgiving than most readers, so if I can find books like this, then everyone theoretically can as well.

AliceShiki likes this.