Is it just me or does anyone else struggle with interest between WN/LN and novels

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sutad Aatma, Mar 2, 2021.

?

Is it just me with this kind of dilemma

1. Yep.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Nah, me too

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Who cares lol

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like seriously, for three months straight I have been jumping from novel to novel from NovelUpdates and then I start reading mainstream English books and suddenly I loose interest in WN/LN. And then two months later I am suddenly again hooked on stories here. like wtf
    Same with genres. For a long stretch of time, I will only be reading BL. Then I will crave some proper action novels and then hop onto hetero romance or GL. And then in the end I will get so bored and tired of reading the same content, I can't even gather the will to read normal books which I would typically devour within an hour
    Can I have like a balance... why am I like this, obsessing over only one type of novel or genre XD

UnGrave and Little moon like this.
  2. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    You are just too focused or moody I guess. I haven't had entirely the same type of experience, but I had phases where I used to only read korean novels or Chinese novels. If you read the same kind of novels, you will eventually saturate, and then crave for something else.

jersanxx1, sekach and Green Apple like this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But here's the bigger question: does it even matter? Either way, you remain a slave to novels and to your desires...

like the rest of us! :blobhighfive:

4. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like your focus got ruined by fast food entertainment.

5. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I have that in my music tastes so I get you! I'll only be listening to one artist/music genre/musical/type of playlist/... for a while then I change. Sometimes I listen to old songs at random and it goes from rock to indie to classical music and even the languages switch lol.
    But with books, I read what I find interesting, so I can switch from a korean dungeon manhua to a chinese BL rebirth novel.
    As long as you enjoy yourself, isn't it fine?

Little moon likes this.
  6. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    because i read too many novels, but they are always incomplete(you know translations take times) i always jump from a novels to another but i never cosidered it as change of interest but more a matter of what i can read with my limited free time....i usualy have opened more than 30 tabs with novels i dropped because i'm waiting for new chapter or to change my reading pace because it's too long or other reason. and return to them when i'm bored just too look at my blackhistory of embarassing novels i read before closing them....

IceLight303 likes this.
  7. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I have the same problem, After reading mainstream novels, I feel like I am reading braindead novels when I switch back to WN.
    Character development is far better in novels than WN. The actions of characters in the novel are also more realistic.

Sutad Aatma and akumetsu_F1 like this.
  8. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a lot. I read professional books, mostly BL for novels and manga. For anime I prefer shounen. I've never really noticed if I jump around. If it doesn't interest me then I pick something else.

9. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get tired of tropes or pacing very quickly, the amount of stories I've dropped either due to tired cliches, 3-5 chapters of characters sharing their feelings, or perspective changes for the same event, or having to wait 1 week+ for a chapter is high.

Greater thunder likes this.
  10. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    mmhmmm but when it comes to cliche scenes, the dramatic and emotional scenes and awesome face-slapping scenes... ay this addiction doesn't subside
    Also, not gonna lie, a lot of translators in our community have magic in their fingers. They way they manage to translate the diction of the novel, I find that better than mainstream novels. So when I go to mainstream novels, I miss the elegance in the words that is carried by WN/LN

I see a devil whispering in my ears and dragging me further into this rabbit hole XD

Darkcrow. and otaku31 like this.
  11. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isnt this normal?
    I'm like that too.
    When I'm bored with one genre, then I just find other genre to read. From wn BG romance to BL, or I'd also pick one of my otp fanfic to read. Or I'd go to read manga, manhwa. Plenty of choices.
    I'll enjoy whichever to rid of the boredom, and after a while it'll be a circle lol.

Sutad Aatma likes this.
  12. vannn

vannn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Translation takes time and isn't reliable.
    2. Most of these WN/LN are written by people who ONLY read other wn/ln and/or have shallow life experience
    3. Most work is mediocre, universally. (Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it)
    All which make it understandable why you would dip in and out of them frequently. What might be a good change of pace is try to read something that intimidates you, you may find the challenge stimulating and be exposed to different kinds of stories.

13. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    oh my, i am not complaining about how I can't move away
    I am complaining about how I go from trash to quality and come back to trash XD
    Also, not all translation are reliable and they take time but some translations make me want to go and steal the translator's skills haha
    Definitely agree with how you can enjoy mediocre works (looks at barely MTL'ed novels I binge read with cliched plots which i hate but can't get rid of)

It's more of.... hmmm.... how do i say... i wish i would stick more with quality. variety is not an issue tbh. quality is lol