Question Is it just me or is there an influx of yaoi novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by PercherTM, Jul 22, 2019.

?

Has there been more yaoi and self insert romance novels about meeting some rich CEO or Mr./MsPerfect

1. yes

2. no

3. yes to yaoi no to the second

4. no to yaoi yes to the second

5. idk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Because we BL translators translate more than your normal translators.
    Because our amount is larger than non-BL people.
    Solved your question?

No? Then too bad *shrugged*

Illisaide, Lascie, rere_86 and 5 others like this.
  2. Dovey

Dovey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not just you, the fujoshis are taking over.... and I love it

Illisaide, rere_86, Wujigege and 5 others like this.
  3. Zryuu

Zryuu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get where you're coming from, and I'm assuming you're talking about an influx of 'trashy' yaoi novels? I do have two questions though:

1. Why do you think this may pose a problem?
    2. I'm assuming you haven't read the new novels that have been popping up, so how do you gauge how trash the novels are?

These are genuinely questions I'm wondering out of curiosity. I appreciate your approach in crafting your concern, so much better than the generic 'oh mY g0d yaoi!!! I h4te yaoi!!! Yaoi bad oh noooooo!!!!'

In response to your query though, just as how there are good/trashy het, it's the same for yaoi. If you're concerned about quality, I'd say avoid the 'trashy' ones and read the good ones, there are plenty of both types.

Edit:
    Lol nvm, this is a generic 'oh mY g0d yaoi!!! I h4te yaoi!!! Yaoi bad oh noooooo!!!!' post after all. Actually expected to maybe for once engage in a civil discussion regarding the topic but I guess that's too high a hurdle for NUF

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Illisaide, Lascie, rere_86 and 5 others like this.
  4. PercherTM

PercherTM Go go power ranger!

Reading List:
    Link
    a) i mean the influx of yaoi novels in general. especially the trashy ones not only the trashy ones
    b) *i asked the question, how do you answer a question with another question?* but ye i think itll be a problem for me cause i dont read em? and the lack of good non yaoi ones lately is a problem yes
    c) have you read their synopsis? its meant to tell you whether the novel will be trash or not. and with how gibberish the synopsis are the writing likely isnt different
    and i dont like yaoi? *so i dont read yaoi* am just asking if its just me or is there a lot of those novels
    the trashy part was the second type of novels a.k.a Ms normal is suddenly stalked by mister perfect for no reason or vice versa.
    i like romance and action but when its just "THE MOST AMAZING MAN FELL IN LOVE WITH A CHARACTER THAT TOTALLY ISNT BASED ON IMAGE OF MYSELF" or "I BECAME THE MOST BADASS HUMAN FROM BEING A NOBODY JUST RANDOMLY TOTES NOT A SELF INSERT WITH SHITTY WRITING QUALITY"
    yeah thats a problem "Read the good ones" isnt solving., cause duh you godda check em out a bit to figure em out if its good or not and if i run into more bad than good then i wasted time and effort for something not worth it. You dont just get a revelation bout which novel you would like

5. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the recent success of The Grandmaster of Demonic cultivation anime/webcomic probably dragged a lot of people into the novel/danmei world. MZDZ got incredibly popular in the past... year? Two years? So it’s not surprising people are clamoring to read the author’s other novels or ones like it. After that, it’s just a snowball effect since it drags in more readers, more encouragement and probably more people who can speak Chinese and thus wanna give it go.

EDIT: as for good or bad... :blobneutral: no clue? I mean if you’re a BL reader, it’s great. If you’re not, it’s a solid eh/don’t care at best or a mild annoyance cuz you gotta hit backspace at worst. It’s not like any old Joe Schmoe can slap up their novel here, it has to actually catch the eye of a translator and enthrall em enough to actually even get them translated first, so it’s already kinda culled if you think about it. :hmm:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Illisaide, Lonelycity and rere_86 like this.
  6. Dovey

Dovey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grandmaster for sure, FOD brought alot of people into the danmei-dome aswell.

7. kotoni

kotoni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also a very fundamental difference in length between bg and bl novels. While many bg "masterpieces" last for hundreds and thousands of chapters, most bl novels average about a hundred chapters or less -- which means that they're completed much more quickly when taken on by fast translators, and it's less daunting for beginning translators as well. So it's hardly surprising that more and more new bl titles are being added every day.

Illisaide, rere_86 and Moonpearl like this.
  8. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there's an influx of BL novels, but I do think BL is experiencing a sudden influx of low-quality CEO/parenting/mpreg novels. Even as a BL fan, I'm not celebrating.

But the low-quality female protagonist novels annoy me much more. My hopes are raised so much more before being smashed to pieces when I click on it. The ones I've been bombarded with were all from TapRead, so maybe filtering out their releases will keep the problem under control?

Overall, I'm only worried about the low-quality BL rise, since it affects what's available to read in recent BL. Even if the number of BL translators were increasing, it doesn't make a difference to you. Most of those translators only come to translate BL; if they weren't doing that, they wouldn't be translating at all - so it's not like you're losing anything from their efforts.
    The crappy romance novels are the work of one or two big offenders, so it doesn't represent any particular community trend that would worry me.

9. JazraelHarken

JazraelHarken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a trend. Like how harem overpowered xianxia or vr/game rebirths or female protags with ridiculously long titles dominated your updates/rankings before.

People translate them because people like them or translator know people will click on them.

Personally, I like my bl novels so I'm thankful there's a sudden influx of quality translators for them.

Illisaide and rere_86 like this.
  10. PercherTM

Reading List:
    Link
    well i just find it demotivating to only find bl or poor quality female protag novels. i even stopped looking at the new novels and just went to royalroad for my dosage

PaladinWolf and Wujigege like this.
  11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I have novels that are neither
    https://www.novelupdates.com/group/asian-hobbyist/

12. PercherTM

Reading List:
    Link
    So does the updates. i just find it too annoying to bother finding them amongst so many of them. i like max level newbie tho it was a good one

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, my novels update just fine.
    You should try One Man Army

14. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm this is the main reason for that
    [​IMG]

Lonelycity likes this.
  15. PercherTM

Reading List:
    Link
    the first part was meant for the novel updates update. i kind of meant that you translate a few of these types too no offense. so same principle that its too much work to shift through them to find ones without that kind. well the weird synopsis always help for the romance ones. i do follow a few of your novels but i feel like they are either pretty good or pretty meh. no offense again

16. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobcat_hyper::blobhyperthink: a sudden influx will only downgrade the quality of BL novels.

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Its fine. Popular novels are not necessarily good novels. I need such novels to pay the bills.

My Castle My Castellan is the only novel I am translating for personal consumption.
    I wanted a novel similar to this

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/19290/rise-of-the-lord

I will never read on RoyalRoad again,
    Due to all the novels I like going into hiatus

18. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's an influx of yaoi in NU's sister site SH, too. A few of them looks promising.

19. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes there is an influx of yaoi novels. Congrats you’re the lucky 100th person to notice. And you know what that means, you win a prize. Yay~

And your prize is....*drum roll* you get to spend a day with @Professor Charles Francis Xavier. Have a wonderful day~

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  20. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone else notice how alot of the names of those novels have "wife" in them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.