Is it just me or novel update is not dependable anymore?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by KnackHD, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnackHD

KnackHD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm starting reading novel online since 2008 and as years go by, manga update starting to show updated novels at their website. And then Novel update show up and I moved to novel update, I see it grow up, I see their golden age and now I think it's starting to fall.

Before Mangaupdates and Novelupdates, I usually use bookmark and speed dial to save my progress. After they show up I'm starting to stop and relied on their feature. But now since 2018-2019, I'm starting to use bookmarks and speed dials again. Because many of my favorite novels not being updated on novel update. Novel like Tales of herding Gods and Once Upon A Time, There Was A Spirit Sword Mountain . I know tales of herding gods are behind a paywall, but Novelupdates at first update it but with locked Icon. Now they don't update it at all.

What's your opinion about it?

Muspon and WhyDidIDoThis like this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more interested in the fact we get this kind of threads a lot today.

What are you, a bunch of drama mongering people?

I'm tryna sleep here and all the Latest Threads about how NU bad, NU sucks.

3. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    The moderators aren't in charge of updating. And if the person who updated for the novel before didn't want to anymore, it's no use. NU isn't declining, it's just that the novels you follow don't have people who want to put it up on NU or are too lazy to do it. It's not anybody's fault. If you don't like NU anymore, don't say anything about it, you're just a reader, NU has provided so many novels and nobody's getting paid. Just deal with it the way you want, but don't say bad things.

4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you only really follow paywall novels then, i suppose, to your perspective NU's not as good anymore. However, to the vast majority NU's probably better without paywall novel chapter updates clogging up the listings and main page lists.

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I rely solely on NU to keep track of the few novels I read and to check out new novels. Maybe I don't hv any problems cuz I don't read any QI novel. But NU is a lifesaver for the all those small TL websites and groups wanting to reach out to readers, and a boon for the readers who can't be bothered to bookmark every single website they read novels from.

6. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...NU for the most part is automated. we use bots and rss feeds. The OP is complaining about not being able to see updates for paywalled chapters which violate our terms of service.

tkwhite08, Rickymex, Rumby and 14 others like this.
  7. KnackHD

Reading List:
    Link
    If there's a lot of threads like what I made, that's prove my point. It's starting to fall and I will just moved to another website.

This website called Novelupdates for a reason, if they depend on the user to update and do nothing to update novels that don't get updated even though it have new chapters, that's a bad management.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
    Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  8. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    :( paywall chapters sucks man

9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup except for the small annoying part where cn mass releases just cloud out any of those small TL websites - and that is after manually blocking the big sites and genres like bl.

Then again I like NU, as it has a great community and mods behind it and is pretty great for keeping track of novels and releases.

I mostly as I use it as a site that logs all releases: the history of translation if you will; mostly as I prefer to read completed works or discover some hidden gems.

I will argue that the exclusion of paywalled releases is a good thing, albeit it might be worth tracking them without them showing up on the front page. Also I would say that the lack of better filtering and grouping of releases on main page leaves much to be desired.

Read this.

tedy2004 and otaku31 like this.
  10. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can confirm this, but I get the feeling that some sights don't update on nu or wait a bit before updating here because aggressor sights don’t find them as fast. We all know this is a problem that isn’t easy to deal with. Nu can’t stop them from using the updates to grab translations. All most of us can do is read from the original translation sight. Power to the authors and translators!

11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to buy chapters, keep track of your reading process through the vendor. I'm not complaining that NU isn't letting my manage bookmarks for all the light novels I have on my bookshelf behind me. That would be a big dumb dumb move.

12. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just go to webnovel. It's not that hard. NU ain't an aggregator site to design their bots to read through locked chapters.

tedy2004, felidormit, Shem and 5 others like this.
  13. KnackHD

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh well, if even the moderators doesn't want to try to do something about it which is the reason I make this thread. I will just enjoy my old friends bookmarks and speed dials.

14. sancloud

sancloud Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just make a WN account. It keeps track of your progress for those novels of yours not being updated on NU.

Well, for me, NU's mostly a place to keep track of the WN from small TL sites and such, find hidden gems, whatnot. And I think most people have NU for that purpose.

15. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Few sites do have rss, you might want to look into it.
    I understand why you would want to make this thread as nu doesnt fulfil your use case but it is what it is. This was NU's policy from start and the point is they are supposed to be impartial (matters due to qi vs wxw and many smaller fights between tls) and follow the policy.

Shio, imK and Sabruness like this.
  16. Midnight2630

Midnight2630 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, The few webnovel novels i'm reading are the only ones who dont show here, so i dont really know...:hmm:

17. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's been that way from the start of the paywall at QI and NU announced it more than once when the decision was made to only list the free chapters. they even explained why, if you want to go back and look at the announcement board. I'm surprised you don't remember all the commotion.
    all the novels you listed were for QI and they have their own library, bookmark, reading list, and social hub and they don't need NU to help readers keep track.
    since I tend to avoid QI, (i can't afford it), NU is a great resource for finding independent translations or keeping track of small translation sites that haven't gone paywall.

Snowbun, imK and Sabruness like this.
  18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    sigh~
    do you ever read NU policy about paywall chapter?

yup seem so~
    for paywall novel it more practical to become member on original site then create the list~ this cat not member of any of paywall novel so idk how each site manage their member reading list~

if you bookmark each novel for progresss.....
    really? you need find other way~
    and yes we on same generation for online manga reader if not older so idk why you still use that way~

save title on notepad, google the rest~ if you read from illegal source simply bookmark that pirate site~
    sigh~

imK likes this.
  19. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been years now, with time everything is forgotten.

20. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I have your stuff?

Snowbun, Miserys_End and imK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.