is it so hard to do some generally easy things?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Firious, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I never said it's unfair amateur translators get paid less..
    This is pointless, the person I was trying to talk to was Krriz and I have had the discussion.
    Parting words: don't overestimate your intelligence.

2. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't overestimate my intelligence.
    As someone that is the responsible IT person for the controlling & finance departments in regards to our database and the software related and tax-payer myself I just know the IRS regulations. Apparently you don't.
    Simply because there are specific minority cases where you really don't even have to file a report, you can't generalize it and say you don't have to report the income. That's just wrong.

But oh well... Since you are refusing to talk, fine with me...

3. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    In US, there is an exception to reporting your income. If you earn below a certain income, you don't have to report it. See link below from IRS. For the sake of minimizing paperwork, other countries probably have similar exceptions.

As for the people calling the amount they get for sponsored chapters donations, unless they're a 501(c) nonprofit, they'll be fined for underreporting and underpayment of taxes if they get audited. It doesn't matter what they want to call their income.

For the people who have a donation button, but don't offer any chapter in return, they could probably argue that these were personal gifts and therefore wouldn't be taxable.

https://www.irs.com/articles/who-has-file-federal-income-tax-return

Actually, by tax allowance, were you referring to that exception?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Wujigege likes this.
  4. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, there are a specific set of cases where you don't have to report it.
    That doesn't mean you can generalize and say you don't have to report income, simply because it's not much money.

I mean. One requirement already is a earning of $400 annually.
    That means (disregarding "donations", your job or ANY other form of income) you need $35 (including your losses, most likely) monthly from patreon only, to be required to file your report.

There are only such a specific and small amount of people that don't actually have to file their report that saying "you don't have to report patreon pledges if it's just a bit of money" is just wrong. You can't generalize like that.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  5. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I was curious why they had the limitation for $400 for SE when employer and employee social security and medicare tax would only be $1,591 ($10,400*15.3%), so I looked it up. Social security and medicare tax isn't decreased by deductions. Just in case anyone is curious why the limit is $400 for self-employed income and $10,000 for income that's not related to self-employment.

*Using $10,400 because that's the total of 2017 standard deduction and personal exemption.

Sheepo likes this.
  6. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Why did a thread about making a table of contents and such turn into income tax evasion?

:hmm: Anyway, people just don't like to do monotonous and boring work like cross-linking all their chapters to each other. *yawn* But yes, I do agree it makes navigation easier and should be fixed. I'm too lazy to do it everyday. :p

krrizis, Ars, Blitz and 2 others like this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The magic of derailing! :blobparty::blobparty::blobparty::blobparty::blobparty::blobparty::blobparty::blobparty:

8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine is automated. I use this
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/novel-navigation-links/
    You can also use shortcodes to list all chapters automatically on Novel index pages.
    I automate almost everything on my site.
    The only thing I do is post chapters well that's also scheduled so I technically automate everything.
    SUFFER YOU MONOTONS :blobhero:
    THE AUTOMATONS HAVE ARRIVED!! MUAHAHA :blobowoevil_horns:
    Well you made my point.
    I am old very old. I probably need to delete my NUF account, hopefully it can be done unlike WordPress haha.
    I despise ignorance. It's a disease.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  9. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Manual isn't that hard, just it's low priority for most translators.

Ahhh, there is one? Heh, I never knew that. Good to know, thanks!

I might use it when I do my site redesign which will be ... whenever, lol. :blobsalute:

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Shinsori

Shinsori Cliffmeister

Reading List:
    Link
    While I don't recall being public about this before, I pay taxes for the ad revenue and the money I receive from Patreon.
    I would suggest other translators to thoroughly check their country's tax laws before setting up Patreon/ads. Tax evasion is no joke.

AliceShiki and Fuyuneko like this.
  11. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you also get permission to translate and earn money from those series from the original authors?

Just curious, since we're talking about legality and things.

12. Shinsori

Shinsori Cliffmeister

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't ask for permission to translate at first (when I started, as a fan translator), but I do PM authors now before starting the translation and move on if they don't answer in a week.
    Authors usually ask me about making money of their work themselves. Most of those whom I spoke with don't mind ads, but I was also shut down for mentioning Patreon/donations before.

Edit: engrish grammer :<

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    krrizis, AliceShiki and noisypixy like this.
  13. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.