Is it worth to write two novels at the same time?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Deleted member 128349, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Deleted member 128349

Deleted member 128349 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I was interested how a third party would assess the situation:

I'm currently writing a story in my native language (german), which is progressing slowly but at a somewhat constant pace and I'm pretty satisfied with the plot. But I'm writing it mostly for myself and only few people took a look at it, so I thought that writing another story that might have more exposure (for example on ScribbleHub) and a as result more feedback, might be a decent idea.
    My main points of concern are that:
    1. Writing in english would result in an inferior product compared to when I write in my native language, and while I think that my dialogues are better in english, that doesn't seem to warrant the overall downgrade.
    2. While I don't want to come off like an elitist, my impression of ScribbleHub is that exactly the same type of stories that I already don't read here are written there. I took a look at some of the top-ranking novels and it seems like isekai and self-insert-wishfulfillment are the most common stories (which I think are almost always pretty awful and about as unoriginal as you can be).
    3. Writing two stories at the same time takes a serious bit of discipline and I can pretty easily imagine losing interest in the second story, especially if the return will be too small.
    4. While I want to write that second story mostly for the reason of further improving my writing, I still have quality standards that lead towards stopping a lot of my stories after a 5-10 pages, due to being unsatisfied.

So I would like to know whether it seems even worth starting that second novel and potentially losing a few dozen of hours, considering the overall situation.

Bad Storm likes this.
  2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no proper management
    so I have a lot of stories I'm writing at the same time
    on wattpad no scribblehub tho

either way, I would still write even if some parts are compromised to fulfil my self-satisfaction and imagination(delusions)

damn, self-inserts and harems are the worst.

UnknownSaint171 likes this.
  3. in_awe

in_awe [Daisy's Pet][Tilgar's Master][Evil Chaotic Fluff]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently doing two novels at once, and I found myself developing one more than the other. If the stories aren't different in terms of characters, plot, and style, you as the author will get bored. Good luck~

However, I do want to mention I enjoy writing both since one novel is based on schemes and one is based on emotions

OnceandFutureLurker likes this.
  4. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish I could write novels.

joey183 likes this.
  5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2. If you honestly think there's a shortage of variety in the types of novels being written on ScribbleHub, I'd say that's plenty of reason to want to introduce that variety to the platform, instead of a reason to avoid doing so.

6. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    imagine 3P. . . .
    as you do the other one the free one will do stuff. . .
    downside is one is pleased while the other longing. . .

well it won't be the case if your a master of the art. . .

but welp after you do the 1st one. . .
    somehow you will comepare it with the other one. . .
    that is where your wits will come in,

2 types of person just like readers, one on each story,
    you also need to do change of pace and all. . .

oh yeah as stated above ypu should enjoy both, and do some plannings,
    also you need you yourself to set the mood, just because something climaxed on the other one, doesn't mean that the things ypu did on the 1st one will do wonders on the other one,

7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as one relaxes you, it is fine.
    If both are stressful then you are digging a hole for yourself.
    Depression will be likely.

[​IMG]

strayCat0 likes this.
  8. trigger91

trigger91 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    comes down to what type of writer you are i'd think. if you feel that a break from a story would help you out to take your mind off things then writing two might be for you. if you feel that you'd have a better time focus on things one at a time then don't. only you can say how your write and what you'd enjoy and what kind of writer you view is comfortable. besides personally i think that time and pace is relative so long as its natural. that's just my thoughts

strayCat0 likes this.
  9. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't even read this post, unless you are superhuman there is absolutely nothing short of threat of assassination that should make you write 2 stories at once. Unless you are half assing it remembering the individual characters, setting, and past events of even ONE story should be near maxing out your mind.

If you don't constantly think of the series you're writing, and think from the viewpoints of the characters. the story will be generic trash. most humans can't just filter out one set of 10-50 characters in one setting ,and not be influenced by the thoughts of 2 hours ago when they were thinking about another set in another setting.

This kinda multitasking is exactly why so many Wattpad and even real novels nowadays have such flat characters. Because the author is only writing them based on a small generalized "personality". They don't flesh them out because it would be overwhelming to have to remember all those details each time you started on the other story(ies). Having well developed characters is needed in any genre of fiction, don't skimp on it or overwhelm yourself is my honest opinion.

Take Tolkien i.e. i would bet you that man could have told you each characters birthday, shoe size, favorite food, color, scent, and w.e. else when he was writing his stories, and that's why his chars are relatable/loved/hated. At no point did he have to say "well it doesn't matter its just a character" when he was thinking of how they would react. Motivations, personality, wants... If you don't live and breath the story and have those fleshed out then your plot developments will feel forced because you had soulless puppets moving based on where you needed them to be. Not the workings of a "mind/soul" you understood completely how they would move based on the situation and had THAT guide your story.

Don't get me wrong, I like generic trash as much as the next guy, the isekais in my read list can tell you that much, but I'm never going to encourage people putting lackluster effort into their stories. I liked the isekais.... But they could have been so... So much more. if only they had put in the focus the chars/setting deserved.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Saorihirai and awake1122 like this.
  10. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    If only you focused on one story while the other is like a break in between the intense writing. Focusing on two stories that did not set on the same setting? Good luck man.

11. awake1122

awake1122 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My creativity comes and goes so I tend to try and write all the tidbits I come up with. This is for events, characters, interactions for the characters, who to make a scene one way, how to write it another way. I do this since I noticed that if I think up a scene in my head, the longer I take to write it, the more it deteriorates. I have a story I plan to rewrite called the foxy dungeon. I had a character head into town and planned for them to have various interactions with characters all over. in my head it happened nicely as the character wandered in the small town learning about the place as she went. it ended up just being the first character, a throwaway side character, and the last character I intended her to meet being who she encountered. This wasn't due to me not finding a place to fit those parts of my story, but due to me not remembering how the flow brought her to my other characters beforehand. If you have a second story you want to write, I'd suggest you just write the bits that come to you in a folder and let it all be notes you can use later, while focusing your time on one story now. While it may feel like a jumbled mess by the time you get to start that new story, all those pieces will help refine the story and add to its greatness. It's important to remember that those tidbits don't need to be the guidelines either, but a concept that you thought of for a character or plot and didn't find a place for might just fit in later on.

12. Fullmetallj4cket

Fullmetallj4cket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a good idea,
    Just think about a writing blockage.
    If you cant write one novel maybe you can
    Write at your other novel.

13. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm writing two at the same time. I would prefer one since its easier for me to control the flow and plot. Normally I post on my website and on RRL. I did try Wattpad and Scribble but I find my genre does well on RRL.:)

14. INUHim-SAMA

INUHim-SAMA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Other's have probably already said this but I think it's how much you can manage. For example, I am writing two stories at the same time right now, a modern and historical one. But for each, I have separate files with their character sheets, plots, and details so I don't mix match the two. I also update them on separate websites to prevent confusion. I spend about a half month writing one chapter for one story because I'm a perfectionist so I often read and read over and over again until I'm satisfied with the word choice so it's a slow kill for me. It gets boring too.

If you feel like you won't be satisfied, I don't suggest you start a new story while writing the other unless you can manage both. Everyone is different though, so maybe you can do a trial run and see :)

15. ebonykun

ebonykun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    to be honest, when i see an author/creator makes two things at once, it's a red flag.
    few people can multi-task successfully. one's bound to be ignored by the other. in the worst case, both stories/creations might get abandoned. unless they're very short, sweet pieces -- but someone who's doing two things at the same time is bound to be ambitious and partake in not-so short pieces.

16. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    It will be nice if you can focus on writing just a single story.
    But if you are on rut or just want to have a change of pace, you can write another story just to refresh your mind.

Of course, then you can be me, who thought up new stories every time I commuting between work and home. Recently I was thinking about a story based on my dream last night of a sentient building which is actually hive-mind alien insects with army battle and stuff (in the end the alien lost and entrusted the next queen to me to protect her from army scientist, which take form as a little girl due to how my subconscious work)

17. Downtain

Downtain Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly it would say it depends on you. If you have an idea for a story that is different from the one you are working on I say go for it, especially if you have the time to do so. From reading your post, your English is much better than some of the other ones I have read, so the quality shouldn't be a problem. honestly, if you're having issues with it then make an authors note somewhere at the beginning of the story requesting for any feed back so that you can make corrections to any issues with grammar if needed (if you're okay with honest feedback from people that is). I'm currently working on my first story and I have gone back and read what I have wrote each day and make slight changes as I notice that something doesn't sound quite right or I think of something else to add to it.

In short, if you're up for the challenge of writing more than 1 story at a time then go for it.

18. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, given what you've written here, I'd recommend translating your current work into English and posting that alongside (though probably further behind) your current work, rather than starting a new work. Why? Because it doesn't sound like you're overly interested in writing this new, second, work. The only reason you gave in this post for the new work would be to, potentially, gain appeal to a wider audience, there's nothing in this that suggests you have another story you actively want to tell, not even a setting that you want to play with. Instead, you're worrying about how this would impact your free time, current story and your enthusiasm for writing the new story, long term.

Basically, I don't see any real reason stated in your post for why you would want to try starting up a brand new novel, and plenty of reasons why you are reluctant to do so. The people who should write more than one story at a time can be those with good self-management skills, but they could also be those who just have so many ideas they want to play with that they have to "release" the ones that they feel will be the most fun into written form, even if only into 10 pages or teasers that they will never go anywhere with.

Translating your own work would not only allow you to attempt to spread the audience for a story you already like, but can also be a good reminder for things like minor plot threads you have left dangling, get new perspectives on the story arcs you have passed and ideas on how to continue the story into the future. Of course, the risk is that of all artists looking back upon their own works and, rather than seeing how much they've improved and being happy with the obvious improvement, cringing at how "bad" everything is compared to what they can now do and wanting to burn it all down in horror. Opinion on how artists look at their own works based on comments webcomic makers produce about themselves and post in their webcomics.

19. samsarawithwords

samsarawithwords Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I write two and it's quite difficult. I was writing 3 at one point and had to drop 1 because it was insane. Writing 1 is much better for idea generation, at least for me. With 2 novels, your head is flip flopping between different universes.