Is it wrong of me to avoid Yaoi novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ArtOfDivine, May 23, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you think they just have a neat bromance (wilful ignorance maybe?) and then get hit with surprise back-door banditry...

I think I've hit a point where I can predict if it's a jousting novel 3/4 times purely by them name alone. I don't know how or why, but there seems to be a pattern in the names. Or maybe I should read the tags better? Nah, ain't nobody got time to read no damn tags. It gets a bit sad because you are like "aww, I was enjoying this novel before someone started to plunder the flower bush but... shit... it is a good novel... maybe I could keep reading..."

A lot of them appear to be written for a specific audience though, so you can easily tell what is going on, but there are a few that actually have a plot beyond mindless peach harvesting. Not that I'd ever read any BL *cough* no ma'am. But hey, it's totally ok to not want to read any genre, and having read some of that trash I can't blame people.

I mean I've mostly stopped with VR novels and kinda hate them, should I feel guilty? Nah.

2. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    while you might miss a good story or two, if your not interested in anything having to do with guy on guy, then no. i myself have missed out on a story or two, but my mind thanks me every time i do. lol

Ziavory likes this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, now go get pegged as a punishment.

firefox1234 and LowerTierDragon like this.
  4. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yaoi doesn't have yaoi... I think you are mixing up shounen ai not having yaoi.

5. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao no, i avoid religious books, qidian webnovels, female smut novels, and the list could go on and on... im sure there is a epic story somewhere in the piles of catagories that i don't touch, but that doesnt really matter to me. I can't read everything, i can't stop time to do everything. So you gotta decide what you want to invest your time to.

6. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I mean for real, some yaoi don't have yaoi. It's really vague instead and only had one sentence of mentioning they did it.

7. Xinneth

Xinneth Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I sometimes avoid it and sometimes don't. I mainly read yaoi and less yuri manga when I will read same sex love stories. But I don't often go to those genres, only when I am bored. And yes there are great stories and themes like the omega-verse --- one of my favorite types of stories, but I don't read much of it. I maily like B x G romance but I read everything. Harem isn't my cup of tea, although I have read stories of it. I will never hate a certain genre unless I have first tried it. I don't have a genre I hate just some I have not gone too deep into. But I have read many mangas of both Yaoi and yuri. Not my main cup of tea, but it is one that is when I am bored. I do have my latest releases genres for Bl, yaoi yuri etc of that kind hidden since I am not interested in reading novels of that kind, since i have read manga.

8. IronValkyrie10126

IronValkyrie10126 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No they’re right. A lot of yaoi now a days is just fade to black. Especially if it’s from China. They’re heavily sensored, but still considered yaoi because it had a sex scene at all.

Shem likes this.
  9. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh... Strange things do happen in all genres it seems.
    I remember when occasionaly the straight ones (at least the Japanese ones) would have "birds chirping" (a.k.a. Asa/Morning chun; chun being a sfx used for birds chirping or for light kisses) to signify the morning and then it was up to the reader to decide which one of the two happened (nothing or something) and even then sometimes the MC would say which one of the two it is in their thoughts about the night before.

If you have some as OP said Epic stories with good bromance (without yaoi/fade to black or other innuendos), I would love some recommendations

thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  10. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not. To each its own, we all have different preferences :blobfistbumpL::blobfistbumpR: so its okay to avoid it, its like me avoiding harem novels, there's nothing wrong about it.

ebonykun and Ha-Ha like this.
  11. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Ey, then dm me! Tell me which genres and tags you like and I'll whip up a list for ya!

12. cotton mortal

cotton mortal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's okay to avoid certain subjects, genres, things, foods, whatever! You do what you like, it's okay! Yes, you are missing some gems out there, but it's okay! You know what I mean - you do you, I do I!

13. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone has a different taste! There's no need to feel bad about not particularly enjoying a specific genre.

14. Loislalion

Loislalion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even hetero novels have toxic relationships, but the yaoi genre a bit more, since it usually starts out with the uke protesting that he's straight until he gets wooed or more likely forced into a sexual relation with his seme. What can you expect though? Its smut.
    BL is usually better, but not always.

15. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is alright, each person has different taste after all.
    If you anti yaoi regardless it has good story or no, yes you should skip it, if you maybe reconsidering like "if the story is great and no nsfw I'm fine with yaoi" then better filter the title.

I have tips if you dislike yaoi but okay if it has good plot.

Be sure what kind of boundary you want so you wont miss good one.
    1. Read the tag along with it.
    2. Read the title and synopsis. << usually self explainatory.

For me... I dislike harem I want to skip it..
    But since there's imperial harem with interesting story, I just skip the one screaming fans service harem...

16. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I need it, usually the hidden one has good story!!!

Buffalo_QJ likes this.
  17. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it's not. I used to avoid yaoi like a plague. It's a personal choice afterall :D

18. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    shounen ai is the most i can afford, i keep avoiding blatant straight yaoi even if the story is good
    some says those two are the same(lol)
    so lets just say that i'm fine with yaoi that dont have any kissing, petting and anything that cross that line
    to put it simply, i'm fine with one that keeps their relationship pure and dont go further than holding hands :D

19. FalseNutrition

FalseNutrition Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the opposite for me. I cant force myself reading Yuri/GL novels. It might be because I'm a female and more curious about men. :confused::confused:

20. Hollowed

Hollowed Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't bother, if you don't like it then don't force yourself.

Imagine a world where scat is a very popular tag, you might miss some good novels but you just don't want to read them... right ?

Yaoi and BL are a no for me as well. One day i may feel different about it but that day is not today.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.