Question Is Library of Heavens Path a "Typical" Chinese Culti Novel formula? or does it do things Diff?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Osamaru, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    I get that he is a teacher, so that a lot of the more typical things aren't there. But does it follow the same old Event chain,"Gets underestimated. slap Rich Young Master, fight stronger enemy, Train/Search for treasure, beat the enemy, go to 'new world' with stronger people, rinse and repeat".

Or does it do anything to mix this formula up?
    Like does even built some Tech, or Train people in other "Systems" beside Cultivation? Maybe go into space or something?

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. It's just the same thing in an ever increasing scale from what I remember

Osamaru likes this.
  3. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Booo.

TheFluffyOne likes this.
  4. UniquelySelfless

UniquelySelfless Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is closer to I'm Really A Superstar (Gets underestimated -> slaps rich young master -> gets underestimated -> slaps rich young master.... -> new world where nobody knows him -> get's underestimated...)

Osamaru likes this.
  5. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually worse since he always speaks in ambiguous and vaguely insulting ways. Do a lot of the face slapping is honestly unjustified.

Nanashy likes this.
  6. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's random and unnecessary face slapping and the MC is very untactful. Like other MCs would at least let the villains do their worst, but the MC in the library novel just kind of beats things up and then think about the consequences later.

7. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you that desperate for nuffies you created 2 threads instead of just 1?

8. Osamaru

Reading List:
    Link
    Shuuuuu You'll ruin it.

9. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just the typical repetitive xianxia type cliche

Osamaru likes this.
  10. yun yun yun

yun yun yun (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 3 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lemme farm nuffies~

11. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    It is refreshing at least, no overbearing trait in his personality and it is fun to read ~

12. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, from what I read in the initial 100 chapters or so, it was just plain face slapping one after another.
    Then again, this novel is just about that.

13. PercherTM

PercherTM Go go power ranger!

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to think of it as different then it can indeed be thought as different, if you think of it as generic it is also generic.
    a.k.a power up, slap bitches, new land, power up, slap bitches.
    but the power up happens in the same way as 'ultimate scheming system'
    a.k.a he is powered up as he goes along until he is more powerful than the land. its like he is always one or two steps ahead
    its unique in the way that its not a 'i your father' or 'you are courting death' (normally) type, it has legitimate villains who act like they can think. (not always tho)
    so ig its a slight deviant? from the usual formula

14. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The interesting part about this novel is MC has many direct student, and all his student become important people later on and support his teacher.

His students also have face slapping moments, i'm never bored with these moment

yeah, other than those, MC always face slapping his enemies, and i'm really like the moment when he use his impartation skill to masses, and a lot of people breakthrough their cultivation

shittt, those moments are really priceless for me

thanks god i read this novel

one of the best out there

don't listen to these negative opinion, read it and feel it yourself

you won't disappointed

Jojofann likes this.
  15. L1Wei

L1Wei Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not trash tier, but it's definitely gets repetitive pretty fast

16. Short_Biscuit

Short_Biscuit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really is generic in a lot of ways. Everything keeps scaling up gradually, the MC keeps getting stronger, the enemies he faces are almost always at around the same level of strength as him, young masters and sect elders keep getting angry at him and he keeps faceslapping them. It basically follows the same formula as a lot of other cultivation novels. But that's not why it's so loved.

The main good points of the story probably go like this:
    • Even though there are always problems the MC solves while faceslapping his enemies, the real genius of the story is in the variety and specifics of each problem. The author takes a lot of trouble to ensure that every single problem that comes up is completely new and interesting. And while a lot of these problems have solutions that appear predictable to the reader, every single solution is an interesting variation of the skillsets the readers already know about, or else is a completely novel approach. No two problems or solutions are ever exactly the same.
    • Since the story is focused more on humour than on building any kind of tension, most of the solutions are actually quite hilarious. We're already used to seeing unconventional solutions in other novels, and you may always think you know the solution to any problem the MC faces, but more often than not, the actual solution the MC uses will completely surprise you.
    • Unlike a lot of other novels, the MC here is very focused on keeping a low profile, although he is hilariously unable to do so. It really is a breath of fresh air to find a novel where the MC does not automatically try to become the most glaringly overbearing and stuck up asshole in every room.
    • There's no gross misrepresentation or over-sexualization of women and neither are there any rapes or harems. I can't believe I have to list this as a good point instead of something that should be taken for granted, but that's just what the xuanhuan genre has led me to expect. There is a small romantic subplot that starts much later in the story, but it's handled much more naturally and interestingly than most other stories here. Although, fair warning, there is a general sense of romantic rivalry because of a love triangle that has left the readerbase very divided on who they favour as the final romantic winner.
    • Probably the best aspect of the story is the translation quality. The translator and editor are among the best I've ever seen in the webnovel translation community, and their usage of language and command over English are a true delight to indulge in.
    I'd also like to point out that this story is a comedy. It's a slight parody of other cultivation novels, but is a great source of slapstick and ironic humor. That being the case, it's not really a problem if it feels fairly generic. Because that's what the best comedies do. They find humour in the middle of existing tropes.

However, because of that, the main thing it does differently is the teacher idea and dealing with some of the social aspects of being a teacher. It doesn't do anything sci-fi like dealing with technology or space. There's no exploration of alternative cultivation ideas or power systems either. Neither is there anything related to the MC bringing in elements of the modern world into this cultivation world. The world already embodies a lot of the cultural aspects of modern Chinese Confucian thought, and the themes of the story revolve around these concepts and plays with this culture.

If you want a comedic story, by all means come read Library. I guarantee you won't be disappointed, no matter how many tropes you find it's overusing.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Jojofann and starvecleric like this.