Discussion Is Martial World good?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Pandamonic, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. promicent

promicent Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    review from @TheDarkness

"A lot of these reviews seem to think that MW and TMW are the same. Very similar MC’s, similar plot, and it is by the same author so naturally it has the same writing style too. And they are right, at the surface level they are the same. However they are important difference that one might not notice at a first glance.

Let’s start with MC’s, btw this will contain minor spoilers for the 2 chpaters of TMW ( True Martial World) so if you haven’t read TMW I don’t know why you would read this review, but you have been warned. Yi Yun, the MC ends up stuck in a cave and finds this purple crystal card and it transmigrates his soul into the body of a boy in another world thus beginning the story of true martial world. Now this is important, because it is why Yi Yun and Lin Ming are fundamentally different characters. Yi Yun being thrown into this new world with no memories ( a twist to the new world trope) is forced to figure things out as he goes along and ultimately develops the mentality of a wanderer, and you can see that completely in the way he acts in the current arc of TMW. Where as Lin Ming is born and raised in his world, and thus shaped by it. This creates a rather unique contrast between the two. While Lin Ming is not the same as the cookie cutter young masters be offends or fights, he still allows himself to be pulled into their pace and play their games. Although he beats them at their game, he is still drawn in. Yi Yun is quite different, he is trickster. He never plays a full hand, he is a true wolf in sheep’s clothing. It is quite fun to watch, he purposely baits people into ridiculous circumstances only for him to come out on top with only gains. He is cunning and manipulative. Lin Ming is much more straight forward and to the point. Not to say that he is less intelligent, it is just not his nature. Another difference is how they approach and view martial arts, the martial way, wudao, etc.

Lin Ming only sees the martial way, while he seeks strength, strength comes with his progress and thus it is just a secondary to him. Yi Yun pursues strength, he wants to see the pinnacle of strength and thus goes about this using martial arts. Now keep in mind there is no right answer in how you go about this, but they are not the same. What Yi Yun is doing is comparable to mountian climbing, while what Lin Ming is doing is akin to hiking. While a mountain climber enjoys the whole climb, they ultimately have the end goal of reaching the summit. And that is the most important part. While hiking is different. While the route has a end, the goal is not to reach the end but rather to enjoy the hike along the way. That is the difference here, and it manifests itself in these characters. And don’t get me wrong, I am not saying Lin Ming doesn’t want to be strong, nor am I saying Yi Yun doesn’t value martial arts. But just take a look at how these two characters deal with their adversaries. And you will see the difference. Now I could go on and on, but I have stated my opinion. Whether you want to take at face value or not is your choice."

2. Pandamonic

Pandamonic [The Great Swimming Panda]

Reading List:
    Link
    Poof thats a really good review

3. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously there will be. This is xuanhuan/xanxia.

4. The Darkness

The Darkness 『False God』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah shucks. I didn't think my review would be noticed by you guys @_@

Shio likes this.
  5. lama

lama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thats true, the main plots way different. But there are some things that are similar, that just made me thought of sovereign since im reading them at the same time.

Secret master. People think they have secret powerful masters that trained them hard

Inscription and alchemy. they both befriend one of the top people in the field that buy their stuff.

political. Both top royals befriend the main characters and the main bad guys trying to steal the throne.

6. Lucinia

Lucinia Baby turtles are the Overlords of cuteness *_*

Reading List:
    Link
    WTF first nearly every Mc make other believe he have a secret master, second same with alchemy and stuff like that (MC piss the most time people of so they need to do the shit themselves / they use it most time for ridiculous power ups) third since when does the politicians don't fight over the one in a millions genius

I don't mention the difference from the mcs

7. lama

lama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Relax....your right.

Another note though. The MC's best friends are fat weaker guys that always make fun of people stronger than them who gets beat up.. Plus there like real brothers to the MC.

8. Lucinia

Lucinia Baby turtles are the Overlords of cuteness *_*

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah the Mc need's some weak guys to look good and the lady's notice him even more

lama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.