Discussion Is modern time superior?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Dizaster, May 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to disagree with the core of this statement. taking advantage of superior knowledge in certain fields doesn't mean everything is better because it's modern, it just means that particular knowledge is better because it had thousands of years to develop. If any feelings of superiority exist they are well deserved and i will explain why.

lets use wine for example. alcohol has existed for thousands of years and in 8,000 BC wine was thought to be created by people burying grape juice in the ground during winter. you can't compare that wine to the wine we drink now because the wine now has had 10,000 years of alcoholic geniuses work on making it better. this doesn't mean modern times is better or everyone lives better lives in modern times, it just means the wine is better. the fact is many things have advanced purely because new knowledge is learned and discovered and taught to future generations. this doesn't mean the people who discovered wine were stupid, in fact they were geniuses because they were the first ones to discover and create a method to produce this new substance. in fact they might have been bigger geniuses because they did it from nothing with zero clues. future wine makers are simply building on their experiences but because of that modern wine is infinitely better.

Again this doesn't mean everything from that time period is trash compared to modern times, but some things are purely because of merit and quality.

aintg likes this.
  2. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can manage to remember the names of these novels you're referring to I'd greatly appreciate it.

kkgoh likes this.
  3. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Release that Witch", where MC hired a master alchemist (chemist) since MC's expertise was in mechanical/civil engineering I think.
    "Dungeon Defense", where MC scoffed at the experiment of some country forcefully attempting a pure democracy in an era of feudalism. That said, MC also wasn't very mentally stable, so I'm not sure if he actually had a sense of modern superiority or not.
    "Zhui Xu", where MC takes a laid back (but still vigilant) approach to his transmigration, respecting elders and wise men while allowing his own ideas to slowly permeate through his social circles.
    "48 Hours a Day", technically dimensional travel, where MC takes the time to respectfully learn from experts in every new scenario.

There were a few more, but I'm blanking out on whether I read a translation or CN raws.

brigs11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.