Request Is Nintendo switch worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Miku, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in a dilemma, between saving my money, buying switch, or buying an asus TUF gaming Ryzen 7 5800H. I'm not in need of a new computer right now. There are some games that I want to play on PC, but buying a new laptop for gaming feels like a waste of money. My current setup is still sufficient for my work load, so I want to shelve buying new laptop if I actually need it (well... workplace gives me laptop to use, and that's sufficient for now).

There are four games I want to play on switch in the near future: Rune factory 4, rune factory 5, valkyria chronicles 4, and Neo TWEWY. Because of the release of Neo TWEWY and RF5, I'm interested in purchasing a switch. Other than that, I've visited sites, looking for switch recommendation, but none of them interests me for now. I don't play games to be social, so no multiplayer as a reason (and this is why I'm considering switch lite instead of switch).

Is Nintendo switch worth buying?

cjlab9ihih likes this.
  2. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    get a gaming laptop, then use an emulator for games that don't have pc versions...

3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Only game console that has stated they will no longer censor any content, so games can have boobies. :blobowoevil:

Sabruness likes this.
  4. Fellowkyun

Fellowkyun Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't consider myself a pro at the subject but there has also been rumors of a Switch Pro ver. looming about. Though if you only care for those games I guess it shouldn't be something you care about.

As a Switch owner myself I do find that it could be a bit limiting if you have no plans for multiplayer with the Switch. As for me it functions as a system for both party games and playing Nintendo's games legally. You don't seem interested in those though.

Can't tell you for certain which is the right option though. The Switch is in it's 3rd or 4th year of lifespan but as to a degree mentioned before it seems to support 3rd party companies that release their games. Also it's rather nice to have a portable console in my opinion. (Don't have a PC at all though).

5. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what I did until now. My laptop is from 2014. Right now, a gaming laptop is not a purchase I can justify. With Macbook M1 chip, I may get better value for performance using that compared to laptop setup of similar price. The M1 RAM memory is the worst though for my budget. 8GB memory in this day and age...
    I do have budget for a gaming laptop if I so choose. But what do I use it for? gaming? I dabbled in machine learning right now. But that is just in the level of enthusiast. My work load is taken care of by the company's laptop. So I have no reasoning to buy another laptop, when I can do something like saving for new house or marriage fund.

I'm interested in buying the game legally. Why not? As for playing legally, well... a lot of times I hate grinding. So for PC gaming, writing my own exp multiplier using cheat engine, if there's none available, is something I usually do.

6. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to buy a switch, but there aren't many games I want to get for it. zelda, fire emblem, pokemon, (octopath <--already has a pc version), super smash bros, the mana games.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a very personal question that depends a lot on how much money you have available and have it easily available to spare...

Uhn... My personal opinion on it, is that 4 games aren't really enough for a console, unless you like... REALLY REALLY REALLY want to play one of them and it's only available for switch and will forever remain as switch-only. In this case it might be worth the purchase.

That's my personal opinion on the matter at least~

ANonMouse likes this.
  8. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Really, really, really... not really. Not to that degree. maybe yes. But I feel like, with just those 4 I'm not going to get value for my money. Like... I'll regret buying it after I bought it.

A switch is around 4/6 of my monthly income. my monthly expenditure is around 1/6 of the income, and I put half into my saving. So, I think a switch is affordable even if I'm dipping into my savings. That's the big purchase I'd be likely doing this year, I guess.

as for game play time, I'm a completionist. So that's why I don't view gaming in mobile phone is worthwhile. Gacha is just hell. but conversely, I often have long play time for a game. I stopped playing skyrim in... 2019? There are few games I revisited, like ff tactics just to enjoy the experience too.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  9. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can also play VC4 on pc or laptop, so that's one less reason to pick up the switch right now for you.
    Personally I think saving the money is a good choice. Prices atm are only going up thanks to the sudden glut of consumerism.
    Never know if you might need the liquid funds in the near future.

10. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    That requires sufficient pc specs. and if we're talking about pc specs, a sufficient pc specs would enable emulators like yuzu to emulate the switch. The cost of sufficient laptop specification though. That's easily in 4-6 times the price of switch.

I'm not a content creator. that kind of spec would serve better on either AAA game gamer or content creator. But I don't think I need those outside of gaming. So why buy something like that?

11. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what? It's been ported to pc, no emulator needed.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/790820/Valkyria_Chronicles_4_Complete_Edition/
    I see it on massive sales during steam sales too

12. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Not only that. I mean. If I bought a laptop for the sole purpose of playing VC4, that's just foolish of me. If I buy laptop for the purpose of gaming, I'd like to extend its usefulness as far as possible. And even then, make sure that I really need it for other things than gaming. Unlike PC, laptop is less upgradable for some of its components. But my use case, mobile, going wfh sometimes and wfo sometimes doesn't suit PC use.

My current laptop is inadequate to play it. A laptop will need to have non-soldered RAM capable of going to 32/64GB and support for USB4 or thunderbolt 4 for future proofing, in addition of games that I want to play right now. That kind of setup is just too expensive for me to afford right now.

13. UnzipArka

UnzipArka Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It honestly depends on what you want to play. I'll suggest you to watch the games that the switch has to offer. You said that you don't really have the urge of buying a new gaming laptop right? Then it only seem fair that you buy the switch at this point. The swithc has a lot of good games that are going to keep you busy for hours and hours, yeah on steam and other platforms there are infinite possibilities, but as i sai before it only comes down to your decision. The Switch it's a console that it's going hard and would keep going hard for a long time, don't expect nintendo to stop producing games for the switch in the near future. If i were you in that situation. I would pick up the switch no doubt about it

Sabruness likes this.
  14. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i picked up a switch earlier this year, partly for games that i just couldnt play anywhere else but also because my current situation precludes my usual habit of normal console gaming. As @UnzipArka mentioned, Nintendo consoles these days have a very long lifecycle comparatively compared to the Big Two. the 3DS was only just discontinued console production late last year (about 10 years old at that point and they are still reportedly set to make 3DS games for a little while longer). The switch is only 4 years old and it's likely to have a similar focus life (perhaps even longer) a switch is definitely a long term lasting purchase.

About the only downside ive found to the switch, so far, is that the second hand market for game is smaller and (at least where i live) finding good sales on switch games is harder than the other consoles.

15. UnzipArka

UnzipArka Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably it's because people are still playing the games or Collecting them. As you said the switch it's stilla young console and has a long life ahead, there are many projects that Nintendo keep announcing. Still the whole console never really cut down the prices, as far as i know, probably because it keeps selling and bla bla.

Another factor might be the fact that people are selling the games online, Amazon, Ebay and whatever people use. I don't trust them too, but if you scan them and keep an eye open for the, Checking on them regularly, you might find some good offer for some good games.

Maybe even the fact that there are digital versions of games.... so like... Probably it's the main factor of it.

Sabruness likes this.
  16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    That is one thing i have found is that for games that are both physical and EShop releases, most stores that stock switch games either match the EShop price or cut slightly under it on normal prices. proper physical sales, unfortunately, are few and far between. The EShop can have some wicked good sales sometimes.

Even taking into account ebay, amazon, gumtree, etc the secondhand market is quite much smaller than other consoles. then again, there arent a lot of games i want on switch (pretty much all are exclusives) because i'd rather play multi-console release games on my other consoles. the Switch game market definitely is a lot more static than the others which can be both good and bad.

17. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I only use my Switch to watch youtube ...
    It's only worth it if you're going to play games while commuting or travelling and you don't need/want to bring your laptop.

18. Sea song

Sea song Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just use mine to play Animal crossing. Impulse purchase during quarantine

19. mreberry

mreberry Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have it but my family bought it only for ring-fit. Never saw them do it again after a week or two

20. anokatax

anokatax Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's worth it if you consider how its still mostly in its prime with a lot more great games to come, like Zelda's sequel and Metroid and such, assuming they still come in the console's lifespan. Add to the fact that you already have 4 games you want (Rune factory 4, rune factory 5, valkyria chronicles 4, and Neo TWEWY) and the mobility, and I would recommend it as a good investment. You can also wait for a sale from Black Friday or something - I'd guess you might be able to snag a combo deal with a game or get it for 200-250 USD, depending on location and timing/luck.