Is Qidian dead? and if it is why do they still have to be a dick about it.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by anon1guy, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    According to your logic because some people kill, steal, defecate in public places it justifies us to do the same. Great place you want to live in.

Helaine, Nino Sasou, mrttao and 2 others like this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian has no power over NU nor any legal basis to take it down, this is a pointless worry.
    Then 10-20% of your payment supports the translators, make sure to keep supporting them as that's how they get their paycheck~

3. domonkazu

domonkazu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless stuff from China, apple has its value, prestige.

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry, stuff from China has a lot of value too, there is a reason Tencent is such a humongous company after all~

5. domonkazu

domonkazu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are big for sure, but their quality is rather disappointing.

6. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    That explains why Epic Games does not allow player reviews.

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  7. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At the begining of 2019 qidian implemented a new policy. From now on they will not work with individual translators, only with translator teams that will subcontract as a group. Each team is assigned to several novels and if one of them flakes out the others can pick up the slack.

Individual translators were told that qidian can help them find a team. If they are not willing to they are fired.
    Plundering the heavens translator did not want to be made into a team translating multiple novels and having other people translate chapters from their novel... so they took the "get fired" option

8. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually that is not true, the anti QI pirating group repeatedly deleted those posts and made clear announcements that posting original novels is not acceptable.
    Reddit's justification for deleting the subreddit was "we got 79 DMCA requests", nothing about the specific source of those DMCA being original novels

Shield Loyalist and Cygsiulle like this.
  9. viscaria

viscaria New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What?

Hopefully. After all, this is the same company who went against what they have signed.

Quite specific number you have there, how'd you know? Pretty sure none of us here know nothing about the payment in QI, aside from CK who, supposedly, makes a lot. That being said, if its true, I pity the translators; out of $25 they only got $3 monthly at most. Even less than what I earn hourly.

Support Qidian means you support translator ~

Not trying to be a racist here, the two stuff that I bolded are nothing new for a certain country tourists. Send tourists to another country with cheap accommodation and then buy stuff from other using an application to avoid tax because the money goes straight back to their country. Basically, giving nothing of value to the locals. When the government banned them, they scream injustice through agencies. Strange world we are living in

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Stealing and Illegally hosting Qidian's novels, happy?
    I just used the same numbers the person I quoted provided, so... You should ask them? I have no idea where they took those from.

11. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't use QU much, but I am pretty sure they never hosted any novels on their sub and they also never stole anything. Reader who had unlocked some texts copied them into pastebin sites and QU merely linked to them in an organized manner, a bit like NU links towards chapters.

It's a big difference.

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So... You're telling me there is a big difference between stealing a paid chapter and hosting it in your site when compared to stealing a paid chapter, hosting it in pastebin and then linking it in your site?

AFAIK, the only difference is that it's easier to avoid legal troubles with the latter format~

13. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    So you actually are aware that there is a legal difference.~ That's pretty much the only important thing here, since the concept of property, copyright, etc.~ are also legal concepts, which don't exist "naturally" in the wild nature. ~

Also~: QU wasn't a site.~ It was merely a created sub-reddit of a private person without any financial interest.~ And the creator and the unsalaried staff (mods) didn't even copy the text themself (all the time).~ Most of the content was copied and linked by random users.~

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Great, so you know that the subreddit was basically pirating content in a way that was a bit harder to be cracked down upon, glad to know we're in the same page~

lonelytree likes this.
  15. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    We aren't on the same page, since your book is pretty much closed.~

mrttao likes this.
  16. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which is an excellent zero-thought-involved answer that completely avoids both the facts AND ethics involved. Management by Supply and Demand only works in in an unrestricted capitalist environment; whereas this situation is a legally enforced monopoly by a company that committed multiple criminal acts to gain it's monopoly, and has made it clear it will act in unethical ways going forward. Just a biiiit of difference. : )

17. Hatchy

Hatchy 【Shem's Big Bro】【Aiiee's Clone】

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread is a perfect example of how logic flies out the window when people don't want to be wrong. Forget politics. We have Qidian debates.

18. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh - ignorance is NO excuse. You've been around far too long to NOT know this.

Contributory Copyright Infringement
    For those of you who refuse to read:
    Requirements
    The requirements for fulfilling the threshold of contributory infringement and imposing liability for copyright infringement on a party are[2]-
    1. The defendant having knowledge of a direct infringement; and
    2. The defendant materially contributing to that infringement.
    Contributory infringement leads to imposition of liability in two situations. First situation is when the defendant, through his conduct, assists in the infringement, and the second situation is when the means for facilitating the infringement such as machinery is provided by the defendant.[3]

Knowledge
    The knowledge requirement for contributory infringement is an objective assessment and stands fulfilled if the defendant has actual or constructive knowledge of an infringement, i.e., if he or she has reason to believe that an infringement is taking place.[4] But, constructive knowledge need not be imputed to the defendant if the product was capable of significant noninfringing uses.[5]

Material contribution
    Material contribution is the second limb of contributory infringement. For instance, merely providing facilities or the site for an infringement might amount to material contribution.[6] But, some courts put emphasis on the contribution to be 'substantial' and therefore, would hold that providing equipment and facilities for infringement is not in itself determinative of material contribution.[7]

SO.
    1) Everyone here knows that those wonderful links on the front page go directly to the translations of what is most probably copyrighted content
    2) NU Staff are the ones paying the bills of server, software, and bandwidth.

Pretty much the only argument that could even be made is that 'not all translated works are infringing copyrights - publicly posted webnovels may not be infringing'. That applies to a vanishingly small fraction, and would have to be argued in court, at which point Tony and Co would have already had to spend thousands - if not tens of thousands - in court costs, and face a very uncertain future.

So YES. QI can shut down NU and probably destroy Tony's life at their whim. I DO NOT want to see that happen.

19. Hatchy

Hatchy 【Shem's Big Bro】【Aiiee's Clone】

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll go ask the QI guys to confirm this. Maybe I'll get a pat in the back.

20. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhero: Time to shut down NU before you get caught, @Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.