Is Qidian dead? and if it is why do they still have to be a dick about it.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by anon1guy, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatchy

Hatchy 【Shem's Big Bro】【Aiiee's Clone】

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that we know that NU can be shut down anytime, it might be a good idea for people to keep track of the novels they are currently reading and how to get to them.

Just in case ;)

2. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is lawyer crap, not rocket science. They know.
    Frankly, just as some people saw the writing on the wall way back when RWX first got the QI shaft and GoodGuyPerson turned out to be anything but, I fully expect that QI will tolerate NU up until their own search and listing portal is fully established (which it pretty much is) THEN nuke it. Then we all cry, and switch our donations from our favorite translators to Tony's legal defense fund. : (

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  3. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. QI has to have cause, only if a work belongs to QI can it complain. QI cannot complain about any infringement of something that doesn't belong to them.
    2. Actually all the major sites do infact license things legally.
    3. QI has already gone after and DMCAed anyone infringing their properties in particular.

In conclusion. QI can't do jack shit. A hypothetical korean or japanese rights holder might complain... but it is very iffy because they do not have a USA presence.

Finally
    This is a USA law. NU is not a USA organization.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Princess Renesmee and Hatchy like this.
  4. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Many of the links to CN translations on the most recent few pages alone have sources that belong to Qidian, to say nothing of older works. Fail.
    2) Irrelevant. Can NU determine which do not? Fail.
    3) Irrelevant. Fail.
    4) I traced NU and NUF hosting several months ago - both were in the US at that time, thus subject to US law. Fail.

Neither of us are lawyers, but this argument completely lacks even basic understanding of the sort of legal sh!tstorm that can hit when a deep-pocketed corporation with an extensive history of malice and legal bullying decides that you are inconvenient. QI DOES NOT NEED TO PROVE ANYTHING - SIMPLY THE ALLEGATION OF IMPROPRIETY IS SUFFICIENT TO START A CIVIL CASE, AND THAT ALONE COSTS THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO DEFEND. If QI wants to drain NU, that cost can trivially escalate to tens of thousands. In Man vs Corp, Man always loses.

Seriously, the mods need to talk to RWX and get his opinion on how likely this is - HE's the one that has personal experience with how slimy QI can be.

5. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. citation needed. name some works. Also be aware that QI has licensed some of their works out before starting to move into the english market, which they regretted later on but that doesn't change that fact.

2. yes, they can. But they don't particularly need to, DMCA actually provides some smidgeon of protection from lawsuits so long as they remove violating links when recieving complaints. They would need to prove that the service only exists for piracy and nothing else. (this is why torrent programs are legal, because it couldn't be proven it only has piracy uses)

3. It is relevant because QI has destroyed its own "stake" and ability to file lawsuits by taking down independent websites who translate without license. Since QI used DMCA to shut down anyone who actually translates their stuff without a license, the remaining translators are all licensed and QI has no stake for action against NU.

4.I traced NU yesterday, it was registered in south america. Not sure where the servers themselves are located, but that is large irrelevant since servers can be relocated.
    Don't assume, lawyers do in fact use this site.
    Coincidentally though I am not a lawyer. It is very clear you are not a lawyer, you are just screaming in alarm with zero knowledge of what you are talking about.
    Ah, so you were talking about civil lawsuit when you said destroy them... see when you said "shut down the site" it sounded like you were talking about DMCA shutdown request instead.

Civil lawsuits are not that easy, and corporations do not actually have infinite money despite what some people will scream and yell. Also, NU is not a man, it is an organization with a budget. And last I heard QI was getting its shit kicked in in their legal battle with wuxiaworld. I am guessing when you were talking about "most updates from QI content" you were referring to wuxiaworld? your assumption they are pirating is wrong. They legally licensed it from QI, that is the one I was referring to earlier when I said QI is full of regrets.
    Also, there are special laws that severely limit the ability of a corporation to sue individuals. For example
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  6. Imortal ZoD

Imortal ZoD Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would you yourself be that kind soul to a lost sheeple?

7. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link

Forum post has self destructed
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  8. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has the discord server that provided epubs died aswell? Was a member until today, not sure if i was removed or if the server shut down.

9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to quote an old post, but I missed this thread the first time around. Anti-SLAPP laws are meant to prevent legal entities with more money than sense from chilling free speech by suing to scrub true, but unflattering, information from publication. The idea is if you have a lot of money and want to remove a news story about yourself, you can send a cease and desist, pre-litigation letter, or actually file suit against the publisher of the news story. If the publisher can't afford to mount a legal defense, they'll have to remove the story.

Anti-SLAPP is also enforced differently around the world. In the US, for instance, there is no federal Anti-SLAPP law. Some states enforce Anti-SLAPP laws, but most don't.

If you want to see a great example of a SLAPP case, check out Marshall County Coal Co. v John Oliver (Yes, that John Oliver). There's a great Amicus brief from the ACLU which spells out how the case is frivolous and was only filed to chill free speech. https://acluwv.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-08-01-Proposed-Amicus.pdf

SLAPP is about using the legal system to chill free speech. SLAPP does not apply to copyright infringement.

EDIT:
    Anti-SLAPP laws also have nothing to do with preventing corporations from suing individuals.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  10. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian thread again?

Shield Loyalist and mrttao like this.
  11. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Post is a few weeks old, it was just revived again so more people can beat the dead horse.

mrttao likes this.
  12. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point it's more minced rotten flesh than a dead horse. Way too many beatings.

Deleted member 125960 and mrttao like this.
  13. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    First time I see you outside mafia.

Just to make it clear, it's not the group itself but some random crapholes who never understood that QU don't cater to original content.

I don't read original content due to the not-so-good history I had with RRL and if I ever do I'd simply find one that is absolutely free from the source. Other than Webnovel.com, of course.

14. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    Need 100 posts.

15. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    y r so many lawyers talking about the law?

and how did this thread turned into what-if legal battles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.