Is Qidians app safe?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TheHoblit, Sep 28, 2018.

1. TheHoblit

TheHoblit Peak Dual-Cultivator

Reading List:
    Link
    a lot of my favorite novels from GT have been taken by Qidian and are going to be made Premium, which means they need spirit stones to read. it's pretty easy to get 20 of them for free a day, but using the app can get more.

is it a safe app? I don't trust Qidian too much so if i need a virtual machine or something to keep it quarantined it would be nice to know.

2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. I’ve not had many problems with it. Apart from a brief period when novels stopped updating~

3. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    That is the best app for reading novel atm. They bookmark novel even if you not add them to library. Not too many annoying ads. Can read both translation and original novel. Works good in offline mode if you download the novel.

4. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    There was the matter about them asking too many permissions including the permission to access one's gallery and microphone, that is if I am not remembering it wrong. But the permissions did sound ridiculous, and I wouldn't trust the app with the permissions, especially since it's Qidian, which has been faring rather well in the trust department lately.

I am sure if the situation has improved or worsened over time since I have boycotted Qidian, and am only aware about the things through word of mouth.

Generally, I would say, if you are concerned over your privacy, it may serve your better to keep your reading online, even that through a VPN and browser that at least blocks the cookies and the trackers. While if you are more laid back, I haven't heard about any major security issues in regards to the app, so you might as well bite the bullet and hope never to sink in a quagmire.

In short, although suspicious, there isn't conclusive evidence to suggest that your privacy or security is in danger of using this app.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    kenar likes this.
  5. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    "Let's say you don't pay with money..."
    Devil and Summer (Rick and Morty)

6. Jaikteis

Jaikteis 【Box-Lunch Connoisseur】

Reading List:
    Link
    I kind of feel like you can apply the same question to the internet and get the same answer. Is the internet safe? I feel like if I said yes, then I would be lying to you. It might be better to ask a different question. How much are you willing to risk? It is relative to what you eventually make available to the internet. All you can do is make your choices and mitigate risk to some degree.

[​IMG]
    (This image is illustrative satire and not intended for actual risk mitigation applications however it would make certain no internet virus infects your computer.)

kenar likes this.
  7. TheHoblit

TheHoblit Peak Dual-Cultivator

Reading List:
    Link
    do you know where i can buy a quality phone condom? I don't think the type in the picture will work

8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, how do you secure WI-FI?. You are installing it from the app store. If there are any issues then sue Google

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  9. Jaikteis

Jaikteis 【Box-Lunch Connoisseur】

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people like Okamoto brand. Best to wrap it before they hack it.
    [​IMG]

kenar and TheHoblit like this.
  10. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    In a world full of technology. You can have a "burner device" or "disposable mobile." A mobile smartphone or tablet you have false info with.

You can download questionable apps, without worry for your privacy being infringed.