Discussion Is reading only wuxia/xianxia something that would make you an otaku?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wakashii, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking about it because I'm really unsure.

I'm certain that I'm an otaku and I know that being an otaku is mostly being a fan of japonese culture by enjoying things like mangas/webtoons and novels.

Anyways, I was thinking if one day I stop reading mangas/webtoons and just keep reading novels about cultivation, would that still make me an otaku or is it a common genre in China just like magic is in ocident (like Harry Potter)?

I feel like if you enjoy anything of 'our world' (like manhuas, chinese/kr novels and manhwas) you actually turn to be an otaku, but at the same time, those genres (xuanhuan, xianxia and wuxia) from China are kinda old and It's probably wrong to be linked to otakus.

I made a lot of remarks, just say whatever you want...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    otaku31 likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are obsessed with them (almost) to the point of neglecting everything else, then yes. It's now used as an umbrella term for people with all-consuming hobbies, though the general association with Japanese culture, manga, anime and so on still remains.

asriu, Lissi and Airlol like this.
  3. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it's an otaku. I don't doubt it in my heart. Obsessed with something from entertainment..

On different topic, in my mind image Japan otaku is Lolicon and Otaku Chinese is Milf lover. I don't know which one is more bad... So how about you guy? What image Japan and Chinese otaku for you guy?

4. LinXueLian

LinXueLian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. You're one only if you're obsessed to the point of not showering, being a shut-in or something I think? I mean I'm big on anime and cultivation, but most people don't consider me an otaku because I can keep a job down, study and function outside of those things.

We're just normal people who enjoy reading novels more than watching anime, maybe?

To answer your question, yeah, it's a pretty common genre for Chinese people. Back in the day we watched Legend of the Condor Heroes or Journey to the West on repeat. The Storm Riders were also very big - my cousins never shut up about it. Also, my mom and dad have marathoned a lot of Xianxia shows. More than 10 eps a day, they watch till 2-3AM in the morning... :blobfearful:

northerner likes this.
  5. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Well kind of, xianxia is defintely something normies don't like or even know of. On the other hand xianxia is much more limited in fandom, fanfics are pointless if they exist, there are no sequels usually, in other words there is not much to discuss about a xianxia novel other than in comments. While in many Japanese fandoms they live for decades, in discussions, fanart, fanfics, games...