Recommendations Is the monogatari series any good?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by brianf, Nov 7, 2015.

1. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been binge-watching the monogatari anime, and I've wanted to try reading the novel.I've heard, cause of the nature of the novel, that it's best if you knew Japanese and read the Japanese version of it. So I'm wondering if the English translations are any good?

2. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    the Monogatari Series is good in my opinion due to the fact that it always keeps you thinking. also love the way that they took many perspectives during certain days and how minor incidents could of had a huge effect on the plot and aftermath of all the characters.
    (sorry was commenting on the anime)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. kukelekuuk00

kukelekuuk00 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've only watched the anime, but it was pretty good. Except nisemonogatari.. the contents of that one wasn't bad in general, but there was just waaay too much fanservice. (toothbrush scene being the worst one. Seriously, google it.)

4. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel definitely has more details. The translation is good, but is most part still haven't translated yet. You'll understand when you see the baka-tsuki page. So far arc that has been completed are hitagi crab, mayoi snail, nise & neko monogatari, and kizumonogatari. Kizu is no longer available since it will be published in english. There are certainly details that are lost (the series has a lot of word play) but the translation is still enjoyable.

5. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll have to check it out then haha, or hopefully one day learn Japanese!