Is there a way to export cache, cookies, and etc.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Allchemic, May 22, 2019.

1. Allchemic

Allchemic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My computer needs to be repaired, and I just don't wanna lose those... I don't know if I am being stupid, but they make my life easier '-'. So, the title says all — is there a way, or not?

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Shouldn't exporting your bookmarks just do?

3. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    if you use chrome, you can try the synchronization option, though I don't know if it'll export almost anything.

4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on what browser you're using.

5. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    Sync won't involve cache and cookies, only configurations, extensions, favourites and history. If you could transfer cookies and cache, that would be a massive security threat.

12300 likes this.
  6. cosmosg

cosmosg Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most browsers allow for easy sync'ing across devices, and googling "export cookies <browser>" should get you the rest.

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    What browser? Most of them have a hidden folder which stores all of that and can be copied over.

It isn't really a security threat, they just aren't copied cause they can be rather large.

9. coyoteelabs

coyoteelabs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're using Firefox, you can backup your entire profile (that includes, cache, cookies, bookmarks, passwords, site history, extensions, etc) by going to "%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox" and creating a backup of the "Profiles" folder as well as the *.ini files located there.
    If you need to reinstall windows, just install firefox, go to the folder and replace the folder and ini files to restore your backup

10. EnerHighwave

EnerHighwave Holy Daugther of Kyuu 8❤️ Speedy's pet Lovely's ❤️

Reading List:
    Link
    The cache should be in some of the hidden folders of your user, I think it should be in temp from there you need to look for your browser's folder and make a backup of that. Though I'm not too sure if that will work as I have never tried
    Edit: Also what kind of reparations needs your computer. If is nothing too severe then maybe you don't need to reinstall your OS and you can keep all your data as it is

11. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    firefox : use MOZBACKUP (i've been using it for years to port around my browser). haven't failed me.

i don't use chrome much, but recently i did ported my tablet's chrome onto my pc successfully. here's how i did.
    1. copy the chrome folder in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google
    2. paste in new pc's similar location (after installing chrome, same version)
    i didn't even sync before i did this, and it works just fine. though you can do so (sync) for an added measure.
    or you can use a 3rd-party tool to backup chrome.

similar backup method can actually be used for firefox if you don't want to use a 3rd-party software. just backup the Mozilla folder you see in the Local folder. there's also a Mozilla folder in Roaming, not sure if it's needed, but i'd back it up anyway.

without clearing the cache first, the backup might be a bit big, but it isn't big enough to cause any concern if you're backing up to an external drive instead of cloud.

*AppData folder is hidden by default, but you can access it just fine by typing the folder name manually in the address bar