Is there any more annoying than a nitpicking reader?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by ATrueStory, Jul 19, 2019.

1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm seriously getting annoyed over a goddamn nitpicking reader,

I am apologizing for the rant in advance.

I don't usually get it to me coz I have to have a thick skin. Thick skin is a given. I have to fend off feedback - criticism, and nonsense combined - from a ton of people. However, this reader just makes me tick. Even accused me of being passive-aggressive, gaslighting and whatever pops in the mind - all in the name of speaking his/her mind.

I have a mind to reply and say "@$%&^$"

But I won't. (Coz someone will be mad and I will be forced to apologize. like hell. I will).

So, I hate nitpicking readers. What type of reader irks you the most?

Capsize, kenar, Drake98 and 3 others like this.
  2. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, something about this reader must really tick you off. When I show my work to other people, I just give it away fully like it's not mine cause if not I run the risk of taking their comments personally. I'm not very thick skinned at all, I actually don't suffer fools either. ^.^

Personally, I like to go..fu fu is that right? And sometimes I'll get into the theories others come up with, even if my story goes in an entirely different route. I mean, it's publicity for your works right? Even bad publicity is good. ^.^

Another thing you can do is pit factions against each other. That way they bounce their thoughts off each other and not you....leaving you to enjoy the scene from the sidelines, which is invigorating for an author, and might further inspire you.

ATrueStory and Traveling Chef like this.
  3. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The sky is the limit man...

In one year time I'm sure you're going to find worse reader than this one...
    I saw a stupid reader once reading just a view chapter and bombed the review directly... Not to mention he kept on adding tags to the novel in here...

Granted it wasn't a novel I read but it pissed some people off that the thread went active in the forum

Traveling Chef likes this.
  4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind nitpicking readers as long as they are willing to communicate. What annoys most is a reader who leaves a negative comment but doesn't respond back or provide any details. You may not always see eye to eye with a reader, but if you listen to them, you can at least grasp where they are coming from (even again if you don't agree). But a reader who isn't willing to talk with you, but still expects you to magically read their mind and fix things which you don't even know where or what... that can be annoying.

5. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    those which irks me most
    are people who downvote/low rate some great(if not best) novels
    just because Main Character is unlikable

despite the plot being great
    the settings is good
    the delivery of story is perfect
    they hate it because mc is "airhead, easy going, weak, strong, ugly, pussy, beta, etc..."

i've come to agree, some people just read novels to objectify themselves as the main character of the novel they read
    (you read as if you're the character in the novel)
    rather than just reading it as to enjoy the story, learn from it, and appreciate its value.

sure, its not our business how one read a novel, we have our own way of escapism.

but they still have to give it a rating so low and awful reviews comment that fend off other potential reader, just because MC is not the same as what he thinks?
    nani the fuc

ATrueStory and Tianshen like this.
  6. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    hey its your works, you have absolute control if it. dont let any nitpicking readers annoys you. as long as they cant give you a solution for their criticism, just ignore it

7. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    all you can do is let them spew out their hate diarrhea and let it slide off you like water on a ducks back. try not to let people get under your skin about something that isn't thiers. while you write the story you can't write peoples opinions about it no matter how dumb or wrong they may be.
    to play a little devil's advocate; technically ratings and downvote/upvote or opinions, if it's your opinion that something is great, upvote it. if it's thier opinion that something is bad, downvote it. you like it for the story, they hate it for the MC. it's all different sides of the same coin. you vote high, they vote low and it'll average out.

Tanhalevi and ATrueStory like this.
  8. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t mind picky readers or people that nitpick problems so long as they’re respectful. I hate rude readers, in fact I hate rude people in general

Naruin likes this.
  9. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    readers that irks me the most? those who say rude things without even reading a chapter or two of the story..

10. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    literally: no, human doesn't born with thick skin.
    figuratively: yes, we are.

Anyhow, if it was me, even if the reader post the rudest comments I ever stumbled, I will still grateful to him.

why?

simple, because he commented.

What I don't like is people who just become silent reader. Because we learn nothing from them.

ATrueStory likes this.
  11. Naruin

Reading List:
    Link
    im sorry! *guilty guilty*:notlikeblob::sushi_peak::sushi_hide:

12. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol somehow your irritation amuses me. Pretty sure thats why ur nitpicker bothers you. Be yourself, express yourself, write how you want the story to go. Do not worry about it to much. BUT

There is a difference between nitpicking and unwanted constructive criticism. Just saying...

13. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    *slap u*

14. Naruin

Reading List:
    Link
    *gets slapped* ouch.. my handsome face has been bruised.. now we're quits.. T^T

15. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing really is the accusation. Anytime we are online, we are anonymous but does a difference of opinion warrants such accusation?

I have to agree on the publicity site even though my friend who works PR says it's stressful :)

Oh my god, you just gave a good idea to have good popcorn moments. I can't thank you enough...

Femme Fatale likes this.
  16. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you're right. The sky is the limit. My poor patience though is not as tall as the sky.
    I seriously want to tag him as a troll but my stupid adult brain wants me to restrain my decreasing patience.

Femme Fatale and justmehere like this.
  17. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that is annoying too. You really don't know whether you should entertain the comment or not while not looking like you're not engaging.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  18. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, they make it hard to ignore like personally accusing someone of something they created in their head.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  19. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Some readers don't know that a character develops and plot also develops. Like it has arcs even.

Femme Fatale, dhRPGamer and Naruin like this.
  20. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to share a story that helped me when I was kind of in your situation,

There was a businessman walking with his friend to the office. Upfront his office there was a news stand where he bought newspaper regularly. The seller was being rude and kept telling him to hurry up with the money and get out.
    His friend told him why he kept buying newspaper there. The businessman said that place is the most convinient place for him to buy papers, why would he let the seller dictates whether he can buy paper or not.

So along the way I learned the only way you can be successful in life (to be the top 20%) is to be able to control your feelings when interacting with other people so you could in turn control other people around you.

Just my 2 cents.

Femme Fatale, dhRPGamer and Naruin like this.