Is this a policy abuse?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by NovelPolice, Jan 26, 2019.

1. NovelPolice

NovelPolice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    100% agree

Thats how mafia works

3. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't there a way around this like translating the first five chapters as well as the latest while then working simultaneously on the new and old with priority on the new/latest?

4. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    Does he unlock the chapters before they go on NU. Because I've seen translators have locked chapters but usually they only put the unlocked chapters on NU and let you know after the chapter that you can pay to read the next one now.

5. CaptainToast

CaptainToast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like abuse to me.

If it isn’t against the policy now, it definitely should be.

Jiggy likes this.
  6. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need to release 50 chapters to ''take over'' the translation. You just need to release from the 1st chapter. The rules are fine as they are, with the least amount of possible abuse on both sides.

And, according to your scenario, the translator is actually breaking policy, since you need to release atleast 2 chapters per 30 days to be considered active, which is also to prevent the abuse you're talking about.

Idk why you linked the policy when you clearly didnt read or understand it properly.

Arcturus, Wujigege, runsing and 5 others like this.
  7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Just make him an offer he can’t refuse.
    (。ì _ í。)

Sorry! I just couldn’t resist. Yeah, it doesn’t sound great.

8. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, for your releases to be posted on NU, there need to either not be an active translator, or you have to start completely from the beginning. The policy even says that you can't just translate chapter 1 and then jump to chapter 50.

9. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    The point of the rule is just to prevent people from making pick up request , if someone esle wants to translate they can pick up and NU will recognize that there are two translator in the same work.
    Now you have good old poaching war.
    The 30 days rule is but a matter of etiquette but fuck that and fuck all of you

Edit ps: but make sure the new translator is at the very least more devoted than the previous

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Deleted member 37987 likes this.
  10. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And as i also said in the post where you only quoted one part, even if he only releases the bare minimum to be considered ''active'', other people can still pick up the novel, as long as they translate from the start. Meaning, you can't sit on a novel (unless you own the rights).

The policy don't really needs to be made more strict, like, how would you even do it? Demanding more releases to be active doesnt work, since, as i said, a translator being active or not doesnt really influence if you can pick up the novel or not, only where you can start from, which shouldnt matter to anyone not wanting to make cash. Do you want to make it so other people can pick up a novel with an ''active'' translator without having to start from the beginning? Yeah, cuz that wouldnt be abused.

Edit: and i also noticed the fact that you just want it stricter towards businesses, but how exactly would you determine that? What is a business when translating a novel? Making money off it? So every translator with ads on their site are businesses, and should have stricter rules? And, how would the mods enforce rules that are like x for some and like y for others? That would be so messy.

Please give some actual ideas, instead of just throwing out ''the rules are bad, change'', especially when the rules are fine as they are.

11. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    What, as other people have said, you can get listed if you start translating from the beginning even when there're already active translators,

If a popular enough series is being blocked with that scheme of yours, then other translators confident in overtaking their pace can just take it and with enough quality even 'steal' the readers away

12. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    NU policy works in a way that no one can ask some other group to translate a novel with an active translator(by NUpolicy) with a simple reason that its either slow, poor quality or just hate.

It doesnt tell anything about cashing in about translations.

By the looks of it, those patreon releases are advance releases for those who can "donate" to read the next chapter.

The only one who can do something about it is the author of the novel.

13. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Again, couldya stop just quoting 1 part of my posts, especially when i've already said the only thing that really matters here. People can pick up a novel with an active translator, if they're not satisfied with how that translator does it. They just need to do it from. the. start.

You just want people to be able to pick up from where the previous translator is cuz you're salty you can't read your favourite novel without having to pay.

14. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm aware of that. I got Tony to add that last part:blob_grin:.

I'm saying that a new translator could start from the beginning then start simultaneously work on the already translated chapters and not translated latest. Example: A series already has ch1-30 translated. New translator starts translating from beginning and releases ch1-5 to start. Then has a schedule of a chapter per day till ch10, where then he/she releases ch11 alongside ch31. From then on releases, it's one of the old and one of the latest being released. So one day ch12 & ch32, next release 13 & 33, etc. Till a certain point where they'd just announce focusing on the latest nontranslated chapters with occasional old chapters release (or just no longer newly translating the old with existing translations).

By multiple chapters, do you mean bulk releases matching the patreon/true existing TLed chapters or do you mean just more than 1 chapter and the non-patreon are way way behind the chapters. So like they've released 40 chapters and monthly release 3 so next month is 41-43, but the patreon has 350 chapters and release 4 weekly?

15. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    How about try to discuss this with the mods to revise the rules again?...Cause really, NU policy have been abused so many times already....

16. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    you should really think before you respond. I think I know who novelpolice is talking about if so the person releases 2 chapters a month but has over 30 locked on Patreon. this is the kind of thing that breaks copyright law and will get all fan translations banned.
    And you sound like a shill or the alt account of one of the translators who does this.

CaptainToast and Inraviel like this.
  17. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do you guys say the Translator mentioned is an active translator? Check what an Active Translator is based on the policy again.

Blitz and AliceShiki like this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it's not policy abuse. No, there shouldn't be more strict requirements.

The policy exists to protect translators from poaching, if you really want to pick the series up, just go at it from the start or make 50 releases, you series will be listed regardless.

... Or, do the sensible thing and start a new series instead of poaching one with an active translator, there are plenty of novels out there that have no translation available after all.
    The 3 months rule is to stop people from posting pick up requests.

The 2 releases in the last month rule is to stop people from poaching the novel. (at least without working showing serious dedication by making 50 releases or starting from scratch)
    Feel free to try, 99% chance they won't be revised because readers want a "free market" when the rule is there to protect translators, not readers.
    All fantranslations break copyright law, nothing will ever happen to them though, it's not worth the effort to DMCA every single translation out there in the internet.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  19. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    I know who is, but the only novel I was reading there I've finished in MT. Really don't worth the money or time waiting.

Edit: Is not the same guy.

20. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always loved people with less that 500 posts calling someone with 1.3k posts a shill. It's amazing. Are you op's alt account then?

So saying that you can easily go around someone ''abusing the policy'' is being a shill? You're pretty shallow. Like, that has really been my main point in every single post i've made in this thread. Op's issue is a non issue, since, if anyone doesnt like what the translator does, they can pick the novel up FROM THE START.
    Just translating without permission breaks copyright law, you dunce, getting paid just makes bad worse. And no, you don't know who op is talking about, because LOADS of translators does that, to varying degrees.

Wujigege likes this.