Is upgrading laptop's ram worth it?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by kenar, May 18, 2019.

1. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    that's just your opinion. My other laptop is acer too and it's almost ten years old.

2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    It might be something about comodo then. From my googling, super high ram usage by antivirus with Win10 is not a rare thing depending on your AV and your computer specs. I'd suggest trying different antivirus until you find one that doesnt use much resources. Was Comodo using the RAM when idle or only when scanning?. Apart from that it's a mystery to me. If you can get the ram increased affordably then go for 8GB.

I have an old Acer which was previously my main laptop until i upgraded. It was 7 years old and still did well for videos, web browsing (though chrome stressed it a little) and apps like Adobe Reader. It freaked out and overheated whenever i tried to play a game though. Acers are decent when you dont do much but they're not great when you do resource intensive stuff.

01 likes this.
  3. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    it seems
    it was 100% disk all the time when I installed comodo.
    I can agree with this one.

And this is the situation right now:
    upload_2019-5-18_21-37-12.png

4. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's 100% frequently, it's not because the disk is slow but because the computer keeps running out of RAM and needs to access the HDD's swap file for more working space

Getting a faster HDD will help but it won't solve the original problem.

Ideally, you need both but most wallets with discretionary spending are unable to take the sizeable hit.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    AMissingLinguist and 01 like this.
  5. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    To the first one: That is unusual according to my knowledge but ive never used or had the need to use comodo so *shrugs*

As to the high ram usage of chrome, perhaps give these two links a try. Chrome tends to be a bit bloaty on Win10 due to how it's built but the links in the previous sentence should help you be able to manage the RAM use. If they dont work, an ram upgrade may be an option as well.

AMissingLinguist, kenar and 01 like this.
  6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I mentioned the possibility of it being due to swap already. But let us be realistic here, while more RAM might help, I still think they will eventually run low on ram. I know this from experience because I had 4gb, 6gb, 8gb, 16gb and always kept being low on ram. So you are going to be accessing swap anyways. The benefit of having a faster swap would have the highest return.

Obliviously both is best.

This is solidified even more when they mentioned removing comodo and defrag helped for now. Which tells me the root of their slowness is hard drive speed. Faster SSD will solve their issue even if they go into swap. Especially so if they go with NVMe/M.2 which is 5X faster than even SSD.

Even if that was the case, 8gb is nothing to a 1tb hard drive. Storage wouldn't be the issue.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  7. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    wait, nvme/m.2 and ssd is not the same?

8. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    It is the same, kind of? The difference is instead of using the SATA interface, it uses a PCIe interface (like your GPU) for faster read/write times. (they look like ram chips instead of 2.5 inch you normally see)

[​IMG]

AMissingLinguist and kenar like this.
  9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    m.2 is a form factor. NVMe is a data transfer standard. SSD refers to the physical medium used to store the data.

So, m.2 describes it as a rectangular wafer of silicon. NVMe means it has a higher transfer speed than SATA. SSD means it doesn't use spinning platters to store your data.

10. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for the explanation! I've been staring at the form factor since it says m.2 and it's matched with an empty slot in my laptop.
    some articles say that 8gb of ram is needed to be able to run win 10 smoothly. But adding ssd seems enticing since an article said that hdd is limiting my laptop's performance. :blobdizzy:

Nom de Plume likes this.
  11. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep in mind they come in different sizes so if you go that route, be sure you get the proper size.

[​IMG]

Ideally, getting both would be best would depend on if you will go over 8gb or not.

kenar likes this.
  12. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have an extra SODIMM slot in your laptop, I'd start with an extra stick of RAM. A single 4GB SODIMM of DDR4 2400 is like $20. A cheap m.2 NVMe SSD is going to cost you $60 or so, depending on how much storage you need.

EDIT:
    Those are US prices.

kenar likes this.
  13. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    These days that's pretty true. A lot of higher end pre-built laptops come with SSD which has the OS for performance and then HDD for storage and programs. Even most basic level laptops i've seen have an SSD instead of a HDD.

Nom de Plume and kenar like this.
  14. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    u came here asking for our opinions.....dong like it then u shud have stayed away......i think whatever it is u r doing wont do u any good even if u increase ur ram......

15. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe, just maybe you can give a real advice. Fyi, my sister's laptop have the same problem even though she only use it for doing assignments and browsing. And I'm sorry if I'm rude.

AMissingLinguist and otaku31 like this.
  16. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You aren't being rude. tahzib just has no clue what he's talking about. Your laptop isn't showing signs of being faulty, despite tahzib's claims to the contrary. At the pricepoint of your laptop, there's not much difference between laptop manufacturers. They all use the same basic parts. The only real difference is the exterior.

Nom de Plume and otaku31 like this.
  17. Adastria Lillith

Adastria Lillith [Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus]

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely not. Personally, for me, laptop is just to work with office or the like. So, if i iave to upgrade it, I'd rather buy entirely new laptop with higher specs so it can run required application.

18. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just checked the product page for your laptop. You only have 1 SODIMM. To upgrade to 8 GB of memory, you'll have to replace your current 4 GB stick. A single 8 GB stick is about $35 in the US.

EDIT:
    Looks like the m.2 interface on your laptop might only support SATA. Check into that before you upgrade your storage. If the m.2 slot in your laptop doesn't support NVMe, then an m.2 NVMe SSD won't function in your laptop.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  19. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. kryner

kryner BYSTANDER BY NATURE

Reading List:
    Link
    i see. the question is WHY did you picked up such a shitty laptop? Does it at least have a graphics card? is it ddr4? what core etc...