Resolved Is WPS Office exactly the same as Libre Office?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Eishun, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I need some advice about IT stuff. For my work, I exported a file from my company's website.

When I received the file, it was a Word file. But when I opened it, all the words were weird symbols. So I emailed my manager and he suggested I use WPS Office instead of Libre.

However, I have been using LibreOffice for years already and I was told it's the same deal as the WPS Office. My manager's answer was that I probably can't open my files in docx format as MS doesn't support docx files. So I guess I have to get WPS and open my files in WPS format?

But I don't want to download a new software and risk having my PC crash. It is very old and tends to hang/freeze/crash when downloading software.

Any advice?

Should I go download WPS Office after all? And what kind of file opens only in WPS format but not docx? So far, all my other docx files are working fine.

And would my PC crash if I have both WPS and Libre at the same time?

Lastly, is there a way to convert my docx file to wps format without downloading WPS Office?

Sadim likes this.
  2. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it more like a font problem? That your libre office doesn't have the right font?
    And i don't think there's such a thing as wps format

evanesco99211 likes this.
  3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    err..what? weren't you using Libre? :hmm:
    in any case, Libre Office should open a docx just fine, from what i remember. could it be the file is corrupted somehow?

also, right click on the file, choose properties, and see if its blocked by windows. Microsoft excel/word 2016 on my Windows 8.1 tablet will refuse/failed to open a downloaded documents, unless i unblock the files first (see spoiler)
    blocked1.jpg
    the error MS Excel will give me if i tried to open the file without unblocking it first
    blocked2.jpg

yeah, i know. it says nothing about a blocked file, but that's windows for you.

yes. there's a lot of online file converter sites that offers back-and-forth coversion of commonly used file types. just google the format you want, for example "docx to wps" or vice versa
    some examples :
    https://www.zamzar.com/convert/wps-to-doc/
    https://www.freefileconvert.com/docx-wps

evanesco99211 and Sadim like this.
  4. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Likely just need to change the font encoding. In any case Libre Office will open Word files just fine. However, the online verion of Word is free so you can just open it there.

evanesco99211 likes this.
  5. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    I used LibreOffice's Calc for a while and I sometimes accidentally set the character to something else instead of what's supposed to be used, UTF-8, and there's always a prompt for me to set it. (tho I'm not sure if it's the same case for Libre Writer.)

evanesco99211 and Sadim like this.
  6. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps he didn't say format? But he said the docx file can only be opened with WPS, not Libre.

7. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    doc was the usual word data format from ms word
    i think it was about word 2000 they turned it into docx

fact: docx was first used by ms office and it was more a problem to open it with non ms products like open office (the libre office of that time)
    hard to believe ms dont support docx ...
    general : fix or geta new PC not being able to update or install new programms isnt a desired state
    never heard of wps before but if i remember it right you had star office, turn to open office, turn to libre office and some firms licenced differnt stages and made their own version what i would guess is the origin of wps too
    in general having 2 or 3 office version install in paralell shouldnt be a problem while i studied i used word and open office atthe same time ...
    wps and libre i see no reason why they shouldnt work together
    but the symbols sounds more like a missing fond or prehaps an encrypted/password protected file ...

changing the format to wps without using wps would help you in what aspect ? first you were told wps should work with the docx and i doubt libre would open it when you change it to wps format

dont offer your company a pdf version of the file ?

8. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    docx format is the default format of microsoft office created documents. It's worldwide enough that many office type program (like open office, MS office, wps office and libre office) should be able to open.
    I think the problem is your LibreOffice doesn't have some font type that being used in the documents and send out garbled text instead. Try updating your libreOffice or at least find a way to find out what font being used (by opening it on microsoft office in your friend pc or using office program on your phone, wps available in android fyi) and manually install those in your LibreOffice one way or another.

Is the text fully weird symbols or only some part of it?

9. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    docx is the current (2007+) MS Office Word's file format. Libre can open it without a problem, but the layout might sometimes be a bit mismatched.

I've never used WPS and don't plan to. If you need a secondary "editor" to try opening the file, you might just as well try Google Docs.

10. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Solved the problem. In the end, I had to download WPS and open the file with WPS Writer.

But after that, I saved the file as a docx file and now I am working on it using Libre Office.