Is WuXia dying?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by xiazixin, Aug 4, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With the recent 笑傲江湖 2018 been 2.5/10, The 倚天屠龙 2019 been 5.8/10.
    when xiaoaojianghu and swordsman are the most popular ones.
    xiaoaojianghu 2013 have a score of 5.5/10, pretty expected, due to the shits. but so far i have yet seen any wuxia that is actually good.

This few days as some one who read most of jingyong novel other than the bixuejian lianchengjue yuenujian.
    I watch those with some expectations of the plot and the writings maybe I just set the expectations too high?
    if jingyong watched the xiaoaojianghu 2018, he would probably jump from the graves.

out of the 13 different swordsman film the 2019 is the worst.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont 100% understand what you are talking about with those chinese-english language

ceric_sulfate, Muspon and haruhi91 like this.
  3. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    so from what I understand is recently the Wuxia genre has been getting poor ratings and lower viewership in china. they are wondering if this is the end for this genre and what would replace it?

Deleted member 89812 likes this.
  4. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Are movies going to hell?
    Probably, yes.

5. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    people hate remakes. It just ruine everything.
    Go make something new. I am sure the rating will be high.

xiazixin likes this.
  6. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    Make something new? Lmao you are basically asking the impossible from the chinese

7. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the best wuxia films were made in Hong Kong between the 60s and 90s, but the industry is in decline now, and its a bit uncertain if anyone else is going to pick up the mantle. That said, very few places in film history have such a high density of great films, so we're really spoiled to have it available, and who knows how long one should expect such things to last.

Fortunately there's so many good old ones, it takes a while to exhaust them all, so we don't have to bemoan the current state too much until we've gone through all the classics. That said novels are much longer and have different specialties than films, so I dunno how much we should look to them for the same qualities, the novels already do what they've done well. Maybe television can handle certain aspects better, though I still haven't gone through the classic television series yet to see how they match up.

8. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    that's just not true. Taking Chinese Donghua for example, there are quite a few great Donghua this year.
    I despise Chinese anime/Donghua in the past, but I can see that they are trying to improve.

9. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a result of communist bandits buying japanese corporation's stakes. Soft power strategy by buying entertainment fields corporation like manga, anime, novels, and games to control foreign countries. Fuck tencent, fuck ccp

10. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know, I thought most of those films have more than 10 remakes. Some are not that bad. But some are really bad. Like the xiaoaojianghu 2018.
    I thought xiaoaojianghu 2013 was bad. Now I think 2013 wasn't that bad.
    The 2019 version of swordsman is also bad.
    Honesty swordsman have the best plot among all of jingyongs novel. It's even better than shediaoyongxiong and shendiaoxialu.

11. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    fuck whoever you want, but respect the animators who are trying their best to achieve their dreams. Give them credit as well. Don't just drag everything to politics. It can only shows how much propaganda you have been watching.

Xaos likes this.
  12. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Why fuck communist bandits when They are doing capitalism justice and good.

13. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    Respect? I can also say the same for you. Imagine you were a japanese animator that keeps working hard to contribute to japan when suddenly some chinese government owned corporation(tencent) bought some of your corporation stock because chinese is a bunch of greedy mfs that want to dominate entertainment field. Is this the respect you are talking about?

14. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    However sadly with the novels that I had translated and read though my free times and some of the novels that rest of translators been translating, I don't think there will be another wuxia like jingyong and water margin.
    Though I'm rather picky on what I read. As some one who couldn't even stand what gulong is writing.

15. ImperialNero

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha i see you are a case of successful brainwashed chinese by those ccp mfs.
    Doing capitalism justice and good?
    Hello 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre
    Hello Falun Gong
    Hello The Great Leap Forward
    Hello Winnie The Poo
    And other numerous shits
    Haha im probably in chinese list of blacklist already but no biggie since i absolutely refuse going to china

16. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, didn't the companies them self have to market their stock first? And isn't it public owned companies where anyone can buy the stocks? Isn't that capitalism?
    Personally I bought some stocks but I lost almost all in the pandemic.

There are haters everywhere, I have been hating canonical like all other Linux users. As they always made the niche method of doing stuffs. There are tons of oracle haters for them abandon open source.

Market is open to everyone, hack USA own half of Samsung and china owns 25% of it. Dose that make America bad?

17. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    don't be so pessimistic. There are many people in China. You never know what will happen in future.

18. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *sigh*
    thread gets so easily derailed instead of appreciating classic HK wuxia films. Just making a decent film is a lot of work, why expect filmmakers to make great films if people can't be bothered to watch them in a few decades? How can you expect modern filmmakers to put out good things if people are so quick to forget what was already achieved and let standards of quality fall?

19. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I prefer the 90s and the 2000s where there are joined firms making from the Taiwan/hongkong, china and Singapore. Those are the good ones.
    I did watch some of the hongkong older firms, but those are too old, and there are too many skipped parts and too much edits to original stories.

How I wish there would still be combined firms like how the Chinese and Japanese anime industry is doing.
    Though I think it's mostly the political issues...

20. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe we are just getting too old for this shit.
    most wuxia drama nowadays look like idol drama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.