isekai FanFiction writing advice

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Phaeous, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Phaeous

Phaeous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When a person transmigrates in a place that matches a story,

they must get there in a way that makes sense, that doesn't defy the logic the setting in canon has, that accepts they are not some inherent plot-armor creature but has such an interesting spark & horizon nonetheless

you should understand that 'fate' be each person's belonging and regards their own way

while free will forbids any event beyond the absolute teleport-beginning from necessarily being the same as canon

what you love about your chosen setting are only its virtues, so do not consider anything else while writing

lastly, do not sacrifice the fun the canon character may create so you can achieve short-term benefit; you can't be happy unless you respect and take responsibility before the karma which illuminates your potential joy in that new world

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  2. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? I thought by the title this would be someone looking for writing tips.

Then I read the actual post.

I agree with none of it.

Ersted034 likes this.
  3. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with @Greater thunder and if you can’t get a title correct. I’d be more worried about other things rather than canon. Just saying…

4. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't even understand what the OP is trying to say. Is my reading comprehension just bad?

Jojo775 and Cutter Masterson like this.
  5. anonymous M.K. 42

anonymous M.K. 42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -Maintain things at a very equilibrated level. And i mean with equilibrated by no adding other stuff from other works like Naruto's sharingan, Makoto's asora, having the body of a character from Highschool DxD. etc. There are limits to everything.
    Well if it's a character from another work transmigating to other work, that's a different matter.

I have read two fancfictions of a MC transmigating to their respectives works and.........it....became awful........in no time.......*UGH*...j-just remembering make me.........*UUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH*..............
    The idea was decent but.....why the hell did the authors believed it was a good idea to give powers, system, etc. from other works to someone who is going to a different work??? It may sounds good on ears but it heavily depends on the writers skills, let me tell you: i regret having read those two fanfics......

6. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Your not the only one. Lol

Jojo775 likes this.
  7. Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it doesn't matter if it's an isekai or the original world. It all depends on the skill of the author. If an author can write well, then he will write both isekai and non-isekai well. It doesn't matter to me whether the protagonist is trying to believably pretend to be an inhabitant of an alien world, or whether he is trying to turn the alien world into a copy of his home world. The story must include a protagonist, an antagonist, a conflict between the protagonist and the antagonist, adventures, rewards (such as the protagonist's marriage to a local princess) or punishments (such as the execution of the protagonist for his fight against the current king). The plot should look like a musical melody with ups and downs, and not like a boring and monotonous melody that occurs when a musician presses only one key of the piano.

Fluffums and Cutter Masterson like this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Well said

Nancy Drew likes this.
  9. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    Slaps with cod.

10. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I think OP is unsatsfied with how SI's end up stealing the thunder, thus making canon characters purposless and NPC-ish.
    Also they don't like non explained or coz I said so transmigrations, with the character being a Gary/Mary Stu.

You're reading fanfiction in the wrong place, here only leads to crap from webnovel.com and your advice won't help anyone coz they don't listen nor care.
    Go to spacebattles.

Bachingchung likes this.
  11. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You probably chosen the Dao of MTL to comprehend that. I thought I get the gist, until I read your explanation. I was dead wrong. LMAO

Jojo775 likes this.
  12. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    The wording OP used was horrendous.
    If anyone wants advice on writing a setting best take of a many a disappointing fanfics reader would be, don't wield canon as a sledgehammer, you are going to get rebound pretty hard.

Bad fics start by using canon events with canon characters and the OC(original character or outside context, depending on author choice) or SI(self insert) never changing anything relevant depite being there and having means or intent to change something easily or woth a modicum of effort.

Starting completely different by switching when or where the new element/character of the setting is at least makes it possible the fic will rise up or make the author develop into a better writer instead of just retreading canon or trampling over canon.

Instead of having a overpowered, please nerf(weaken) Legendary Super Saiyan born on Planet Vegeta, why not try thinking up an actual plot of a human character born on Dragon Ball Earth (or whatever species on some other planet) and thinking up a plot yourself and having the character have some goals.

Just DB Earth already has ki, magic, beastmen species, demons, weird items (like the bansho fan that could have snuffed mountain covering flames that otherwise only go out when Rushi blasts them with a Kamehameha), warlords (Goku brougt down like 2-3 armies as a kid martial artist), bandits, various heritages (Krillin came from an expy Shaolin temple, and there are martial artists like Crane school, Eight fists style guy, Yamcha's Wolf Fang Fist),.......

Striving for power may not necessarily even be their thing, maybe they just want to paint or cook or something.

Bulma is that verse's female Tony Stark and most often authors only ever bother with would the protag(s) date her or not. That's rigid thinking right there.

I have yet to find a DBZ fic where a character learned DBZ stuff like science from one of many famous characters doing it or just strived for a Galaxy Police Headquarters posting and enjoyed relatively calm, but wacky anime style adventures of space cop office work.

Its, its really nothing groundbreaking. The internet is simply infested with so much copy paste I was reborn as a god or whatever favored character/race is here and will now proceed to only ever fuck up.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    Jojo775 likes this.
  13. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of that Naruto fic where SI lives as a normal person, though I haven't read it. There need be more fics like these.

14. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, I'd even take a complete fake out like first chapter being, yeah, this is Shokugeki no Soma.

And then the MC has nothing to do with it, disdains all the melodramatics whenever confronted with it and is like boxing or something completely untied to the plot, but shit keeps him surprised because its still a shonen universe.