Recommendations Isekai or Fantasy World OP MC Manga or Webtoon

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by primaryweapon, Apr 25, 2018.

?

Which is more exciting to watch a OP MC or a Zero to Hero MC

1. OP

66.4%
  2. Zero to Hero

33.6%
  1. primaryweapon

primaryweapon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Searching for a specific kind of manga as stated in the thread title OP MC gender doesn't matter but needs to have magic, swords, and if possible some martial arts if there's no fighting I don't want it like a good relationship. MC personality doesn't matter just need he/she to kick major booty effortlessly. If he/she isn't OP from the start at least be a genius able to learn and accomplish things effortlessly sort of like tower of god without too much of a struggle.

Plot doesn't have to be crazy or mind blowing just not too much of the weird age gap love like in Rain or cheesy romance. (Don't get it twisted I like romance but that stuff has to marinate the right way on this steak of a story).

Some manga I've read somewhat matching this:
    Dungeon Seeker
    Tales of Demons and Gods
    Noblesse
    Onepunch-Man
    Rain
    Mujang
    Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu
    The New Gate
    Re:Monster
    Jaryuu Tensei
    Tensei Shitara Slime
    Overlord

May your nearest neighbor bless you on this journey of recommendations and thank you in advance.

Shomik and Tanskandoggi like this.
  2. KKristen

KKristen Crazy Cat Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, here's some OP (or at least cheat-knowledge) MCs:

Choujin Koukousei-tachi wa Isekai demo Yoyuu de Ikinuku you desu!
    Exterminator
    Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
    Hiraheishi wa Kako o Yumemiru
    Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru!
    Isekai Nonbiri Nouka
    LV999 no Murabito
    Ore to Kawazu-san no Isekai Hourouki
    Shikkaku Mon no Saikyou Kenja
    Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki
    Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi
    Tsuyokute New Saga
    World Teacher - Isekaishiki Kyouiku Agent
    Yasei no Last Boss ga Arawareta!

Yeah that's all I've got for now.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. AshCrow

AshCrow LeeFromAsia

Reading List:
    Link
    OPM was zero to hero. Even if it was short.

4. Darkwood

Darkwood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Adardoniel

Adardoniel MTL Addict

Reading List:
    Link
    Who says it was short? It was just never shown... It took a year and a half! (Or three years, depending on how you want to look at it)

Chrysan likes this.
  6. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    I like OP MCs pretty much but I'm still searching for that MT story feeling, anyone can relate?

7. Reyrey

Reyrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tanskandoggi likes this.
  8. Chaku

Chaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer zero to hero rather than OP from the start, because it can happen to you in reality, you go from some lazy ass couch potato to a fireman that saves people, its possible, achievable, just takes hardwork lifestyle and attitude changes, The OP guy never had to worry bout that at all, they just get a free gift with no effort, like buying a lottery ticket and winning 40 mil lol, we all want that to happen, but does it ever happen to you lol, while these things are also possible, the likelihood of it being reality is like 1 in a billion lol, while the zero to hero is definitely within reach of anyone.

9. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    OP is cool, but only for a short while, unless it's managed really well. Personally, I have a problem with the 'zero to hero' genre, because they never actually have nothing. They always run across some godly item or teacher that allows them to jump over the dragon gate, so to speak. Like black clover, the point of that was supposed to be a dude with no mana using physical training to surpass his magical peers... but then he got the mythical anti-magic sword, and his physique was all but forgotten about.
    once I finish my current novels, i'm gonna start writing a true zero to hero.

hakuna matata likes this.
  10. gokief12

gokief12 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on the genre. If it's comedy then op is way better

11. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like OP characters, cause in many cases (specially in CN novels >.>) the zero to hero stuff is related to finding something that makes them stronger over time or it doesn't make sense how they ended up strong, so if an mc is going to become a cheat after getting a treasure that makes his growth faster, what's the problem with him being born a cheat?

I do enjoy well done zero to hero novels tho, even if there are treasures involved, but that's it, they need to be well done

Chrysan likes this.
  12. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem I have with zero to hero is that it often becomes a never ending race where there is always a stronger person ready to crush the MC just as he finishes the previous villain. Some novels do it well and have arcs well defined and spaced properly (concluding arcs properly), whereas others practically blend arcs together with villains/powers attacking the MC before he even resolves the first issue. The story ends up hopping plots rapidly, making a huge mess of everything and leaving a lot of loose ends that end up getting forgotten. The worst thing is, it's all the MC's fault! They always let their pride and ego trump everything, causing them to anger the entire world.

At least in OP characters, they have a reason to be proud and arrogant. If they are super op then sure, let them faceslap the world, but when the MC is like "I have to lay low, there are many people here more powerful than me, my cultivation is too low, holy shit there is an arrogant silk-pants from a prominent family I must slap his face!". I don't mind if they are arrogant, but only if they have a reason to be. If they're weak as shit and currently have half the world wanting them dead than MAYBE the smart idea is to lay low.

13. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends on the plot. if its done correctly you can have a mc stronger than a god starting in a noob village or the opposite

S4TY4 likes this.
  14. AshCrow

AshCrow LeeFromAsia

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I ain't talking about the timeline. I'm talking about the pages it was written be it in novel form or comic panels. To me it was short as a fart(sure there are long farts but they don't last long).

But how long the training montage doesn't really matter because OPM doesn't really focuses on the zero to hero aspect. If it did, we might get a different story, we would get another Boku No Hero academia.

15. Nehaiman

Nehaiman New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is this OPM??? Is it a manga? Cause I can't find it. Full name please.

16. Nehaiman

Nehaiman New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is this OPM??? Is it a manga? Cause I can't find it. Full name please.

17. jercov

jercov Member

Reading List:
    Link
    library of heaven's path
    alchemy emperor of divine dao
    The Returner

18. AshCrow

AshCrow LeeFromAsia

Reading List:
    Link
    One Punch Man. I'm pretty sure you've seen that already.

19. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As others have already pointed out, Zero to Hero stories rarely start out with the MC being actually starting at zero. Instead of hard work, they usually just use some secret technique or artifact to power up. The closest true ZtH story I remember was an incomplete one written by a friend of mine, where the typical xianxia young master with the ability to see fate binding people and artifacts together in the form of threads, but during his first expedition into one of those secret battlegrounds full of treasures, he sees all the OP prodigies of the various sects with the best "fates" murder each other in cold blood, which traumatizes him so much he decides not to even compete and be content with the "scraps" (which are still pretty good artifacts and resources, just not the crazy stuff usual xianxia MCs would fight over), and since he plays it safe, he becomes the top expert just due to living long enough to power up through the normal channels.