Request Isekai Tag

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AvERaGeNP, Mar 31, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvERaGeNP

AvERaGeNP Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are tags such transmigration, reincarnation, reincarnated in a game world, reincarnated in a another world, otome game, etc. Though they help to find a novel with a specific setting ...it is very difficult to find an isekai novel in general. So i was thinking if this tag started being assigned to novels that matches it.

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You can simply select all the tags and make a bookmark of the search results...

Maybe what you are looking for is categorized tagging system where you can select entire list of tags as a whole?

But that would probably belong in the suggestions forum:

https://forum.novelupdates.com/forums/suggestions-bug-reports.5/

or site discussions:

https://forum.novelupdates.com/forums/novel-updates-site-discussion.4/

3. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like 95% of novels with one or two of those tags ARE isekai. They are all just different flavors of it.

4. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    What they are saying is they want to have all of those under a single tag so they don't miss any isekai simply because they might not know one of the 50 tags that are of a different flavor.

lohwengk likes this.
  5. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I wouldn't put the transmigration and reincarnation under the isekai tag as it could be ts or RI to the same world. Then again, sometimes the difference between, say, two tags is simply too big for two tags to be put under the same tag. Like, ancient times and a game world transmigration. I mean, yeah, both typically are in a different world, but context-wise they are very very different

6. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    That is why NU has the "Reincarnation" and "Reincarnated into another world" and "Reincarnated into a game world" tags. The 1st is not isekai, the 2nd and 3rd is isekai.

Blitz likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Transported into another world
    Transported into a game world
    Reincarnated into another world
    Reincarnated into a game world
    Those 4 tags as a whole make up the isekai genre

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    There are others:

Alternative World
    Gate to Another World
    World Hopping
    Returning from another world
    Parallel Worlds

There might be others, and it assumes everything is properly lableled. For example, some reincarnations like "Reincarnated as an Object". It isn't isekai in itself, but I was a sword when I reincarnated only has that as a tag and no other ones.

9. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are the main 4 but yeah
    Alternate world isn't necessarily isekai but it's often associated with the genre. If I remember correctly the tag is used if the story takes place in a world similar to earth but with some differences.
    World hopping is isekai but it's specifically used for quick transmigrations novels
    I don't think parallel world ever got a proper definition made for it but it's basically used for when "2 or more worlds" are intricately linked together in the story

Reincarnated into an object+reincarnated into another wold would fit for sword looking at its description.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai genre would be a bit redundant with all the "other world" tags, so there isn't much reason to have it I'm afraid.

Blitz likes this.
  11. Irlin-senpai

Irlin-senpai I ain't got a Clue(-chan)

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah well, I think there should be a tag for those that are just isekai, those that are just literally another world and, while there may be some similarity with our world in such, the characters have no knowledge of our world.

A tag for that kind of novel.

I believe this is what the thread is suggesting?

12. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe there should be a tag for Portal Fantasy, since Isekai is just a regional (Japanese) name for it.

13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy World maybe? I dunno, I can't check the tag list on phone to see what else could be used...

14. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy world covers to much.
    isekai is a subset of Portal Fantasy

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai just means another world, that's all there is to it.

16. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    No, that is a much to common misconception, mostly due to people misusing it as a generic term to bad mouth Japanese fantasy in general.

Isekai as a genre is AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN specifically when the MC goes from one world to another. it is when that they are in another world from their home/original world.

It is a subset of portal fantasy. People misusing the term in ignorance, or immature stupidity, does not and can not change that.

If the characters are all natives to that world, then it is not a Isekai.

17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai.jpg

18. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    Your point being????? That is no where close a valid argument.

There is more to something then a literal translation of its name. Names are short, and the name alone almost never conveys all of the meaning. because people tend to take larger concepts, and shrink them down to a size for conversation. If a concept takes a paragraph/page to describe in detail, you are never going to fit its meaning into 1-2 words.

Just translating the name strips out all the context that gives the name and genre its meaning. That context is EVERYTHING in understanding the genre. Someone can not understand something unless they understand the context of the term to get what it is referring to.

An example of what you are doing would be to literally translate "Film Noir" and conclude that it has to do with the color black since the term translates to "Black Film" (that is the literal translation) striping out all of the meaning. Or getting "Dark Film" which is a more accurate translation, but could easily be understood to be about lighting levels, or dark/depressing subjects in general. As opposed to it being a term for a genre of crime dramas.

Another example of the context mattering is High and Low Fantasy, both are genres of Fantasy, with established meanings, but a literal understanding of high and low as words is not sufficient to piece together just what types of stories "High Fantasy", and "Low Fantasy" refer to.

Literally translating the term is not sufficient, it has never been sufficient, and never will be sufficient. It is merely proof that you do not know what the F you are talking about.

19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats:

20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm generally against the idea of adding more genre labels as having more of them just tends to dilute the effect rather than differentiating between books. NU would be better off getting rid of most of the ones that exist rather than adding new ones; at least in principle. As a matter of practicality, I think that isekai is both distinctive enough and popular enough that it's much more of a real genre than things like Action or Adventure or Drama.

The only real counterargument I can think of is that, because of the definition of the term, it would have to exclude certain works like Sevens and Picking Up Girls in a Dungeon. These books work exactly the same as an isekai novels and would be otherwise indistinguishable from them aside from the relatively trivial technicality that the protagonist isn't from another world. Still, genres don't have to be perfect, and I'd be happy to see isekai replace some of the non-genres out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.