It's been nearly 2 years of death for 1 of the most important media empires ever.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kadmos1, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been nearly 2 years of death for 1 of the most important media empires ever. On 3/19/2019, Disney officially purchased most of 21CF. This ended the Fox movie empire as we knew them, which was 106 years and just over 1.5 months (2/1/1913 being their founding date). From William Fox saving the American movie industry from the Edison Trust's movie patent monopoly to 20CF's near bankruptcy with the 1963 movie version of "Cleopatra", this mighty empire saw a lot.

The following are tweets that I have often used when searching twitter.com/search?q=disney%20fox%20-news%20-hound%20-ABC%20-liberal%20-fantastic%20-Hamilton%20lang%3Aen&src=typed_query&f=live. These points have some minimal differences in wording but are like 99.8% the same.

1. Consider this: Fox selling back those Marvel rights to Disney? Sure. However, at least give Fox Lucasfilm. Then, at least Fox would have had at least 1 major media franchise (Star Wars) to mooch off of. Don't end a storied movie empire like that! It's sad!

2. Fox News is legally-owned by the Fox Corp which is not part of Disney. Same goes for Fox Network and a few other Fox channels. However, channels like FX are now Disney-owned.

3. Just putting it out there (time travel-related): Should time travel become a practical thing before I die, I would travel back so that the FNC was never formed. Also, 20CF bought Marvel and Lucasfilm each at least 15.5 years ago but the parent company of 20CF was at least $10-$15 bil. smaller than what it was 15.5 years ago.

4. On the importance of the Fox movie empire, including animation: Not the first animated character, but she's the first with personality. She was in the first dino-centric movie. Her name? Gertie the Dinosaur. Oh, and the live-action/animated version is/was arguably the first really successful Fox movie: twitter.com/MurrellDan/status/1218274706907779072.

5. Some info about the person who Fox News is named after. For all practical purposes, Fox News was "born" in 8/1919 and it was in Oct. 1919 that they began being shown regularly on movie screens as newsreels: twitter.com/jbenton/status/1218362632849317888.

While Superman was the not the first comic book superhero, he was the first real popular one and the one that "birthed" the standards and tropes for the comic book superhero archetype/essence as we know it/them. You know, the Trope Maker? Gertie is like for animated movies. Without Gertie, there would be no Disney and arguably no modern anime as early modern anime was heavily-influenced by Disney but not exclusively Disney.

This nearly 10.5-year-old upload of the Naruto OST track called "Way of the Ninja" seems appropriate to give an RIP of sorts to 20CF. Farewell to the Fox movie empire as we knew them.

Oh, and regarding that first Twitter link, here is a tweet that I have been tweeting between 10-20x/day (avg. is now 15 for the last 3 months I think). My most copy-pasted tweet ever and I have been using it in the following wording since at least sometime in July or Aug. of 2019. Prior to that, I had tweeted a similar tweet over and over: -Shame on Rupert Murdoch for selling off most of the Fox Empire, for the USDOJ permitting a semi-monopoly, and Disney for buying. 1000s of lay-offs are not worth it. Uncle Walt and film producer William Fox would not approve of this merger.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Zeusomega and Reack like this.
  2. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I see your post I know I'm in for a movie history class.

:blobcozy: you are a true movie buff

3. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read more about classic movies than actually watch them! It is more of a case of reciting movie trivia vs. having seen many classic films and being able to have an intellectual conversation with them!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021