Spoiler It's No Use Hanging On

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Aihi8, Oct 19, 2020.

1. honeymochi

honeymochi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 27, everyone!
    Obligatory reminder that I don't know how to read, write, or speak in Korean. Therefore, I rely on MTL to do the job for me. Italicized text is my own summary of what's happening, and italicized text are words I've directly extracted from the translator!
    • "You may not believe it, but it's true. It's the correspondence that Andreas went to pick up just now, so please take a look and check it out." Diella says to her. Kaira looks conflicted, but mostly hurt. 'Reagan was responsible for Vienna's arrival at the de Orsia townhouse.'
    • We flash back to Kaira's previous life, to when Vienna was introduced to her. Before I came to the past, my misfortune began with Vienna's arrival. As Vienna appeared, I seriously agonized over why I was not loved. 'If I get close to Vienna, I'll look after her next to her.' she thought, as she brushed Vienna's hair. "Vienna, what kind of hair do you want today?" she asked her cousin. 'Maybe one day you'll admit it...!'
    • I suffered from a sense of helplessness, seeing nothing change. Reagan was the only one next to me like that. "Kaira, it's okay. I got your back. Good girl, Kaira. You did a great job. That's all you have to do." Reagan praised her as she cried. "There's nobody but you."
    • To see Reagan's smile, to be acknowledged by Reagan, to prove my worth to Reagan. To make him emperor, I was stigmatized and did what he demanded to the end. But... By the time I found out about the addiction, the poison had already seeped into the inside and it was impossible to treat. Only one year left of my life. I tried my best to swallow painkillers instead of meals. Before I die, I want to see the smile of the emperor wearing the crown. I want to hear that all I need is you.
    • We flash even further back, to the time that Kaira was a child. I was only ten years old when my mother passed away and I was alone. I was too young to bear the sorrow of losing my mother and the neglect of my father. So I couldn't overcome the pressure and ran down to the Laveler estate south of Beventora.
    • There, a young Reagan greets her, smiling pleasantly. 'With the help of Reagan, I overcame the sadness of losing my mother. I couldn't have lasted until now without him.' After I came back to the past, no matter how much I hate Reagan, the fact remains the same. It's obviously thanks to Reagan that I've been able to hold out. From this realization, Kaira begins to laugh with a maniacal smile, tears running down her face. 'There were many moments when I couldn't give up on him because of the Reagan in my childhood.' Kaira looks at her hands and, seeing that they're trembling, holds them close to her with an anguished expression. 'Reagan had never been sincere to me from beginning to end.'
    • Diella looks at her with eyes full of concern. "I'm sorry, Marquise. I really... have nothing to say. I'm sure you were surprised. Also, you must be angry with me..."
    • "Correct." Kaira says, the last of her tears shed. In place of the helpless expression she sported earlier, is one of determination. "I'm angry."
    • "I'm sorry. I embarrassed the Marquise with my selfishness. I'm really, really sorry."
    • "Why did you tell Andreas the secret? The shock of finding out the child's hidden secret must have been indescribable."
    • "When I didn't know how much longer I could live, I was afraid to find out that Vienna was not my husband's child. I think I went crazy for a while. But I hated it so much. I hate the two men of the Trahan family so much that I want to get revenge somehow...!!"
    • "... What else happened besides that? I think it would be understandable to me if I knew why you even thought about revenge."
    Warning: for the next panel, I got different translations for equally confusing sentences, so I had to pull things out of my ass and hope for the best. If there's anyone here who's more proficient in Korean and has access to the raws, please feel free to correct me!
    • "After having Vienna, Travis' child, who promised to arrange a seat in the capital, cut off contact. Can you imagine how miserable it must have been for me to act like I'm sleeping with my husband by plying him with drinks while hiding my stomach? By the time I gave birth to Vienna, I forgot about it. One day, my husband came in drunk and confessed. He recommended me as his wife... it was him, Travis. Travis is the son-in-law of the de Orsia family. He locked me up as his brother's wife, which I thought was the most disturbing." Righteous fury crosses Diella's face as she's told this by her husband in a flashback, with tears rolling down her face.
    • "[He was] Just indulging in pleasure. Haa- I tried to live with it, but as Vienna grew up, what she did was become the same as Travis. Vienna framed me and Andreas with all kinds of lies for her own gain. For Baron Trahan. I can't forgive him. Marquise, please help me. I'll go to trial and testify if I have to."
    • Kaira takes the time to open the black box that Andreas brought in. "Marquise, that's the evidence I told you about." Diella adds. 'Reagan's handwriting is unmistakable.' Kaira thinks to herself as she looks at the contents. Her face darkens considerably, before the moment passes, and her face returns to normal.
    • "... Yes, it's all true. I'll go back for now. I need time to think, too." Kaira says, weary.
    • Back at the estate, Kaira leans against Soren, digesting the information she was just given. "Soren. How could this be? There's no one in the world I can trust." As she says this, she notices Andreas staring at her not too far away. "Soren, don't say anything for now. Go up and rest, Andy." Andreas does as she says, turning away.
    • As Kaira makes her way back to her office, she notices a stack on her desk, "Huh? Why are the documents.... Oh, is the investigation over already? An investigation into the source of the mana stone used as a wall light..."
    • 'The distributor is Count Ingsen, the purpose is for recording, lighting, and the number of times it can be used is less than three times. It's no different from the mana stone they sell at the magic store, so why?' Then... wasn't the magic stone the problem?
    • Moving forward, 10 days have now passed since that day. The day of the ceremony. Kaira, donning a snazzy suit, is looking over the attendees, surprised by the number of people that have come to see them. Of course, with so many people, there's bound to be a bad apple or two. Count Ingsen has appeared with his daughter, Letrina. (Still can't believe she's named after a communal toilet...) The time has come. The emperor calls out Kaira's name, and she kneels in front of him.
    • "Kaira de Orsia. Are you loyal to the imperial family, and vow to defend the nation and care for its people."
    • "Yes, I swear." Kaira replies, as the emperor looks down at her.
    • "Emperor Lygrette, Alexis Parahan Lygrette, will give the position that was promised... From now on, fulfill your duties as head of the family."
    • Once Kaira's officially been given the position as head of the de Orsia family, people rush to congratulate her, voices ringing out. "Marquise de Orsia, congratulations." a noble says to her. "Congratulations. Finally, the orthodox heir is in place." another says. The happiness is not meant to last, however, as a hand grabs at Kaira's wrist rather harshly. Kaira flinches as she turns to look back at her assailant, uneasiness written on her face.
    • "... he said. Congratulations, he told me to say."

2. Cayena24

Cayena24 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you! Do you have any ideas who the the person sent an assistant to congratulate Kaira could be?

honeymochi likes this.
  3. Aestheronyxx

Aestheronyxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did faylon become da emperor?? And Kai da Empress??

honeymochi likes this.
  4. Hirorin

Hirorin Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the art style in the promotion, but chapter 1 disappoints me

honeymochi likes this.
  5. Aristes

Aristes [Archiver of idea], [Harbinger of the Fall]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, sometimes it makes me wonder whether we're seeing a sharp edged shield or a face.

Hirorin and honeymochi like this.
  6. Bobaaaa

Bobaaaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can someone spoiler what will happen to that cousin in this life time?

honeymochi likes this.
  7. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chapter 29 spoiler:
    It looks like when Kaira was congratulated for her ascension, many of Faylon siblings (including Reagan) came to do the same, some tried to make her to take their sides (only to crash and burn), Faylon did something to put them to place (Reagan was spiteful at this), when she was alone. Reagan came (up for something no good for sure), when she left the banquet, to some reason she ends up meeting Reagan and have a talk with tea. Reagan gave her something, which was a ruby bros (I guess). After minutes of talking, Kaira figures out that he still not wanting to let her go, and have something to make sure of it, I guess. Can someone translate this?
    Here's the link by the way: https://tkor.tube/매달려도_소용없어_29화.html

8. honeymochi

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's find out!
    So sorry, guys! I rediscovered my love for a certain game, so I've been blowing through quests with no idea that this series updated... twice! We'll be having a two-for-one special today.
    As always, obligatory reminder that I don't know how to read, write, or speak in Korean. Therefore, I rely on MTL to do the job for me. Italicized text is my own summary of what's happening, and italicized text are words I've directly extracted from the translator!
    • "He told me to say congratulations." Well, it wasn't Reagan or the former Marquis de Orsia, much to my surprise! In actuality, it was Count Ingsen who pulled on Kaira's wrist. With an uneasy look on her face, she can only think, 'Count Ingsen? Wait, what do you mean, him?'
    • She snatches her arm from Count Ingsen's grasp, thanking him for his 'well wishes', but asking him who he was referring to. With an infuriatingly vague smile on his face, Count Ingsen turns away without answering the question, leaving Kaira to call out for him to wait, to no avail. Kaira deduces that if it was a man who called upon Count Ingsen to do his dirty work, it must've been Reagan. In the past and in the present, Count Ingsen will always be on Reagan's side... This is why I didn't want to quarrel with Lady Ingsen.
    • 'I haven't seen Reagan in a while. You didn't give up even though I ignored the letters you kept sending.' Kaira thinks back for a bit. According to the last letter Reagan sent, he'll be staying at the royal hunting ground to prepare for his participation in the hunt. 'That was a week ago. Reagan has never been so desperate to me in the past... What are you up to?'
    • The scene changes to Reagan's residence. "Your Majesty the Fifth Prince, what happened?" Reagan's unfortunate blond servant asks.
    • "I came back a little early." he replies, shrugging off his jacket.
    • "If you had contacted me, I would have picked you up."
    • "What do you mean. I came all the way here on a horse, what's the problem? Get your clothes ready first."
    • "Where are you going?"
    • "To the Marquise de Orsia." Reagan replies, turning back to his servant with a smile. (AGHH! :blob_catflip: LEAVE HER ALONE!)
    • "Are you in a hurry to attend the Marquise de Orsia's inauguration reception?"
    • "Marquise de Orsia even got the title for me. Even if I kill my schedule, I should go celebrate. Did I not ask you to get ready?"
    • "Please wait a minute. I'll bring it." a vague amount of time later, his servant returns with an unknown object. "Here it is, Your Highness."
    • "Yes...!! You brought it just as I said." smirking smugly, he thinks to himself, 'You've been so upset, and now you're answering my heart, Kaira. I'm proud of you. I can't believe you're thinking about inheriting a title for me." (I'm seriously going to kill this man.) "Let's get going. To the Marquise de Orsia."
    • As we head back to Kaira's point of view, an announcement has been made about an imperial member's sudden appearance—but it isn't Reagan. "His Majesty, Prince Rivazen Swade Lygrette, is entering."
    • 'Rivazen? Is the third prince here?' Kaira wonders as she comes in dressed in with a gorgeous, red dress. 'I didn't expect you to come.'
    Warning: for the next few panels talking about the third prince, I got nothing that made sense, so there are things here that will sound nonsensical, but it's what the MTL gave me. If there's anyone here who's more proficient in Korean and has access to the raws, please feel free to correct me!
    • The Third Prince growled at the sight of me before my reincarnation, and he was the only son of the concubine Empress Dalia, who was a quick talker. He was once aiming for the throne with Empress Dalia and her forces on his back, but was not a match for Reagan because he had a rather narrow mind. But after my reincarnation, the Third Prince had no contact with me so far, so I thought he wouldn't come.
    • 'Did you come here to spy? Or did you think I'd break up with Faylon and turn my back on him when he saw my title?' Even if it is not as glorious as it was before, it is a family that has contributed to the founding of the nation and is a marquisate. The new Marquise de Orsia. The emperor, the aristocracy, and the middle class all wanted to take her away because she's a mouth-watering opponent.
    • 'Huh. Is that how it is? Both count Ingsen and Reagan thought I'd break up my marriage because I became Marquise.' Kaira quietly laughs to herself, but she's quickly interrupted by a new face—the third prince himself. Congratulating Kaira, he snatches her hand (I assume to heartily shake her hand) as she gasps. Lifting his hands up in surrender, he says, "Oh, no. I didn't think the Marquise as a woman. I'm sorry."
    • "No, what does gender matter to a noble who serves the imperial family and looks after the people the Empire." she replies evenly.
    • "Congratulations." another voice rings out. "Marquise de Orsia. You sent me an invitation, so I was curious." The fourth prince, Elkar, has arrived.
    • "Kaira de Orsia greets His Majesty the Fourth Prince." she says as she bows to him. The Fourth Prince is a man who rarely shows up for official occasions. Because he was a magician belonging to the Magic Tower, he often went back and forth between the Tower and the Imperial Palace and devoted himself to research... It was a veiled existence for most nobles.
    • "I thought it would be too burdensome to eat too much while having a conversation, so I prepared food that you can enjoy simply." Kaira says to her guests.
    • "It can be used as a substitute for a meal. It's easy without the need to call for a servant from time to time... It's really clever." Rivazen praises Kaira.
    • "I'm flattered. I hope you have a great time."
    • "His Majesty Prince Reagan Swade Ligrette is entering." a voice announces.
    • "Rivazen-nim, Elkar-nim. You're here first. Marquise de Orsia, I'm sorry I'm late. I was late because I was worried about what kind of gift would be good."
    • "I also thought about what to give as a gift. It's been a while, Reagan." Rivazen grins as he pulls his brother close. "Marquise de Orsia has a different gender... and above all, is Faylon-nim's fiancée. ...Right? Marquise de Orsia."
    • A cold silence fills the table. 'Okay. Do you want to talk about me breaking up with Faylon?' Kaira thinks as she glowers at him. "I'm just a noble who defends and supports the Empire just like any other noble, Your Majesty."
    • "...The Marquise is right. She is nothing but an imperial noble, just like any other noble gathered here." Reagan adds on. 'Reagan... How can you be so brazen when you know I've deliberately avoided correspondence?' Kaira thinks as Reagan smirks. "But brothers, is Faylon-nim still there? In this important occasion, second brother is very... indifferent."
    • "The Star of the Empire, Prince Faylon Swade Lygrette, is entering." the announcer calls out at the right moment. Faylon makes his way inside, but his eyes are only on the star of this show—Kaira herself. Bending down to take his hand in hers, he kisses the back of it while maintaining eye contact with her.
    • "Marquise de Orsia, I'm sorry I'm late. Congratulations on your succession."
    • "Thank you for attending despite your busy schedule. Your Royal Highness, the Second Prince." she greets him. In turn, he smiles at her softly. Faylon calls for his servant, Melvin, to come forth with the package in his arms.
    • "It's a congratulatory gift. I brought it as a present I wanted to give you, is that okay? This is... don't forget that it's a gift full of love."
    • "Brother, can't you see us?" Elkar asks him, interrupting the lovey-dovey mood they've cultivated. "Even if you didn't show up, I know Marquise de Orsia is your woman. Isn't that right, Marquise de Orsia?" he continues as murmurs stir up in the crowd.
    • "I know, Elkar." Reagan pipes up. "Some people think that Marquise de Orsia is being taken away by someone else."
    • "... Thank you two for understanding my meaning." Faylon says, placing a hand on both of his brothers' shoulders. "Then I'd trust no one to talk nonsense to my people."
    • "... What are you doing?" Reagan grits out while glaring at him.
    • "What shame to do this in front of the nobles, brother. Some people might think it's a fight of passion." Rivazen interrupts the three.
    • 'You can't openly express your dislike for your older brother, whom the emperor supports, so... you will bite his easy-going fiancée, is that it?' Kaira thinks distastefully. "His Majesty the Third Prince. No way, don't tell me you're trying to make me, the head of the de Orsia family approved by the Emperor... the protagonist of a trivial political battle?" she continues, her glare darkening. "Is it because I'm too narrow? Or did you say too much to lighten the mood?"
    • Rivazen pauses in nervous shock, but he quickly recovers. "Ha! Marquise de Orsia... doesn't know manners. How can you spew at the words of a prince?"
    • "My mother passed away early, so I learned manners from my godmother, Duchess Notylno. In her teachings, there was no manner of ignoring them even after being insulted." she smiles graciously, curtsying. "If I say I don't know the etiquette that you gave me a while ago, does that mean that my godmother taught me wrong?" Rivazen jolts back in shock at her words, causing murmurs to rush through the crowd again.
    • "The Duchess of Notyl is the Emperor's sister... right?" one voice whispers. "The only aunt to the crown prince..." another notes quietly.
    • "W, what are you talking about!" Rivazen finally speaks up. "Marquise...!! How dare you say that to my aunt. Are you trying to make an irreverent nephew that even adults don't recognize?!"
    • "It's a misunderstanding, Your Grace. Rather, I wanted to let you know that there was no bad meaning." Kaira smiles at him pleasantly. "The Third Crown Prince came with a good heart, but if people here misunderstand you, my heart aches. I just mentioned the godmother to clear up the misunderstanding with a few words. It was just a mistake, because he didn't mean to say it to me with malice, knowing that my godmother was the Duchess of Notyl. Right?"
    • "... Yes. I wasn't in a bad mood. I'm sorry to make you misunderstand." Rivazen relents. "... I have to go back now. See you next time, Marquise." he adds on, turning on his heel and quickly running off.
    • "Hmm? Looking at it now, I can't see the fourth prince?" Kaira says aloud.
    • "Ah! Elkar must have come up with something new. Sometimes he disappears, then he reappears to make amazing things. It's not like I leave in a hurry because I don't like the Marquise. Don't get me wrong." Faylon attempts to explain, likening himself to a puppy.
    • "I don't have that misunderstanding, so don't worry. Thank you, Faylon."
    • "Kaira, I actually have some business left, so I'll go in first. Please understand that I came in a hurry to congratulate you." Faylon continues. Whispers begin amongst the crowd as he's heard speaking.
    • "Oh, did you hear that? He must have had a hard time making time while he was busy." one murmurs. "What a romantic he is..." another says. Flashing forward, we see Reagan approaching Kaira. He calls out her name, leaning forward.
    • "... Kaira. I'll wait outside. Come out when you can." he whispers in her ear. "I'm going back now, Marquise de Orsia!" he calls out loud as he distances himself from her, making his way towards the opposite direction.
    • "... Go home safely, Your Highness the Fifth Prince." Kaira bids him farewell as she curtsies towards him. 'All the princes stayed less than half an hour. If I had to ask for the purpose, it would seem that the third prince was arguing with me, and the fourth prince was just curious...' she mulls over the events of the day. 'Reagan... I really don't know why you came.'
    • After an indeterminate amount of time passes, Kaira steps outside, and Vaughzel makes his way to her side. "His Majesty the Prince is waiting in the parlour." he notifies her.
    • "When did the princes go? The butler saw them off." she asks him. 'Ah. No way. You've been waiting all this time?' she thinks as she rushes off to the parlour. She enters the room to find Reagan drinking tea by himself.
    • "You arrived?" he asks her, smiling pleasantly. 'A person who hates to wait... Why are you so excited? What else have you done without me knowing?' Kaira looks at him questionably, clearly displeased at being asked to meet with him. "What are you doing? Kaira, sit down." he directs her to the couch at the opposite side of him.
    • "... What happened? I'm sure you said you were leaving." she gets to the point immediately.
    • "Remember when I told you to come out? I've been waiting for you to give you something." he replies, pushing a black box towards her.
    • "... What is this?"
    • "What I gave you earlier was a formal gift. This is my heart." he smiles ominously. "What are you doing? Come on and open it."
    • 'What are you up to?' Kaira asks internally, reaching out towards the box. Uneasily, she opens it, to find a beautiful, large, red gem fastened to a golden chain. It's a necklace... isn't it? The gem is large, but it's not transparent and it seems to be less sophisticated...? Closing her eyes in annoyance, Kaira makes her reply. "I can't take this. Take it back."
    • "Rubies of this size are not easy to find. Perhaps it's even the only one in the Empire? Maybe it's the only one on the whole continent." Reagan tells her. No, you can see the value at once just by looking at the unsophisticated ending process. 'Who bought mines in the past, mined gemstones, and even processed them. There's no way I, who has financed Reagan's political fund, can't see the value of this ruby.'
    • "If it's the only precious thing in the Empire, I'll give it to Her Majesty. How am I supposed to get it?"
    • Reagan pauses at this. "Your Majesty's excuse doesn't appeal to you, does it? I rushed to produce it after hearing from you, so I guess the workmanship wasn't good. Okay. I'll do it again with the right one."
    • "I don't even want a present. It's not like that."
    • "You were disappointed that she took the flower I sent you before." Reagan continues on, ignoring Kaira's words. "That's why I give it to you myself, so why?"
    • "Because it's something you give yourself." Kaira says, turning her head away. "I'm sure I've been given a lot of titles. Reagan, if there's a rumour that you gave me a gift at this time of year, it's going to hurt you, too." she continues as Reagan's face darkens. 'Get out of my sight, Reagan. Diella's words keep hovering around... It's too hard.' she adds on mentally.
    • "... I know what you mean, Kaira. I'll take a break. Congratulations on becoming the Marquise. I'm... always grateful." Reagan finally leaves, shutting the door behind him. Kaira's unconvinced. 'It's strange... aren't you going away too easily?' she wonders.
    • "Thank you? Me?" she looks into her teacup in disgust. 'Don't tell me... I became the Marquise... Reagan, for you, I... Are you misunderstanding that I have turned my back on Faylon, now?'

9. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    AGHH! Reagan that bastard!! :blobcat_knife::blobcat_knife::blobcat_knife::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

lazynoodles and honeymochi like this.
  10. honeymochi

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, is it just me, or is it kind of awkward reading out 'Reagan'? :blobsweat_2: I'm so used to hearing it in referral to the former president of the United States, so every time Kaira calls him by his name, the American politician's face pops into my head. A real-life person superimposed onto this awful pretty boy.
    ... Maybe it's just me.

Asya.M, Aestheronyxx and kawaii12345 like this.
  11. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    Ronald Reagan? Oh plz, the guy is nothing on his level compared to President Reagan.

honeymochi and kawaii12345 like this.
  12. i_am_here

i_am_here Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's just the bad art style rather than the eye + hair colour combo. It would have been better if they got a different artist. Personally, I'm not sure how publishers decide which artist to allocate a webtoon to?

honeymochi likes this.
  13. Just_One_More_Chapter

Just_One_More_Chapter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The artist who did the promo chapter would have been great only if they didn’t give the MC that weird sausage hairstyle

honeymochi, kawaii12345 and i_am_here like this.
  14. i_am_here

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah that was...weird. I don't get why there is ALOT of good stories being given to art that isn't that good or fits the story whereas stunning art is given to really bad or boring stories.

chels_hotnacho, Orphus and honeymochi like this.
  15. beazacha

beazacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ty for the spoilers! I hope Vienna ends up alive so she can watch Kaira be both the Marchioness and Archduke's daughter! :blobowoevil_horns:

16. i_am_here

Reading List:
    Link
    Who is this Archduke? Is he still alive? how come Kaira's mother ended up marrying that horrible man?

Why does the Empress hate Kaira so much and favor Vienna?

17. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably arranged marriage, I mean her 'father' already cheats with his brother's wife.Why would on earth will she be obedient to him?
    About why the Empress hated her so much, everything was still theories.
    Mine was that the Archduke was the Empress unrequited love, and she was heartbroken to learn that Marchioness de Orsia was having an affair with him. This caused her to hated the Marchioness, and her hatred was in vain as the Marchioness died in her sleep during winter. Unsatisfied, she throws her hatred on Marchioness daughter, Kaira.

Dobokan and beazacha like this.
  18. its0k

its0k Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Arranged marriage wouldn’t make sense, because the father is the second son of a countryside baron, who didn’t even have a title because it was passed to his brother (or had an even lower title than baron, not worth mentioning).
    MC’s mother was the only daughter of the only marquis iirc, her prospective marriage partners are supposed to be archduke, dukes and below marquis are counts. Otherwise it’s a mismatch. We know for sure she didn’t love her husband if MC is archduke’s daughter, so I think some nasty scheming was involved.

rock.doll likes this.
  19. Aristes

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot about tittle's worth in political and social view. But if you're talking about scheme, could the Empress (the going to be) do that? I mean like somehow enforcing the marquess to have his daughter to marry an arranged partner picked by her?
    As far as I know about this nobility thing (which aren't much and lacking). Authority of the Imperial family/ Royal family could only be rivaled by a Duke and Marquess was a rank beneath them. Which... was why I'm wondering could this be possible or not.

its0k likes this.
  20. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    It would make sense if the MC's mother really loved the father. and the father used her to marry up. Or the MC as a daughter wants to give a middle finger to her father. I'm operating under the assumption that the MC's mother was an only child and a daughter so there is the option to 'marry down' because the bride/mother wanted to make sure that it's her family and blood who will benefit in the marriage. While she can have her choice of men with higher titles, it also means she is surrounding her wealth and power towards her husband. Arranged marriage is about power, control, and resources. If MC's mother felt that she will gain nothing from marrying up or a marriage with a higher male noble will cause her problems, it's better to marry down with a man who can be controlled by her purse strings.

I dunno. in my exp, nobles marrying one another needed to have permission from the reigning monarch to marry so they cannot build their own powerhouses and alliances against the Crown. If the empress is the one overseeing the matches, I bet she only does it to make sure that her son gains more power compared to his siblings/not her children. And the marquess has to tread very lightly since marrying his daughter off is an action that should benefit the family first before any royal desires. Unless of course, he didn't give a shit. The marquess can obey the Empress if he sees a benefit and the only thing the empress could do is to withdraw her favor or if her son succeeds, the future monarch.

beazacha and rock.doll like this.