Discussion I’m looking for some suggestions on handling this situation.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cutter Masterson, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok. I’ve decided to keep on working at the hospital and keep them running. I handle all underlining equipment in the hospitals. That includes electrical to power up the monitors and machines. To the water that the doctors use to wash their hands.
    I have been trying to minimize my exposure. As much as possible.
    The problem I’m coming across is that I’m not under the hospitals authority, but a company that works with the hospitals. So HIPPA restricts clients/ patients information. That means they can not say a patient has COVID-19.
    I sometimes have to go into isolation/ infectious rooms to repair outlets, lighting or even a sink. But I try to rig it so there’s a one to two days window between when I show up and the patient. Usually I also plan to show up after the hospital has a cleaning. Even with all that I also wear goggles, mask, coveralls and gloves. I know. I know I should be wearing PPE all the time anyway. But when I am working on a system I have to remain focused 100% of the time otherwise you could be electrocuted, break a needed piece of equipment or hurt people around me. So I can take things a little slower and be more cautious, but I can’t do that non stop every time I go to work. I don’t think I can do that without cracking.
    After hours are not really an option. Since these patients are here 24/7.
    But getting back to what I was saying. If the hospital keep this information from me. I can’t really plan accordingly.
    Could anyone suggest a possible counter?
    Thanks for all the help.

AliceShiki and Fulminata like this.
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose you could try pointing out that not telling you is violating their oath to do no harm, especially since if you unknowingly get infected, you could unknowingly spread the illness to other non-Covid patients. I have no clue whether that would work or not.

Mnotia, Fulminata, Meloman and 4 others like this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  4. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    The hospital might not be able to tell you which patients have Covid19, but they can tell you if the work area you're entering is or was under quarantine. It's been a while since I've delt with HIPPA, but as long as no personal information is exchanged there should be no problem. If need be, they can segregate the patients from you in a manner neither see each other.

Doesnt work that way. HIPPA laws are federal regulations and not something a hospital or their staff can ignore.

Mnotia, mir, Anra7777 and 2 others like this.
  5. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I think in this situation they really should inform you, one to protect you, two to not spread it around. But perhaps they would not let “unauthorized” personnel into rooms with a confirmed virus carrying person? I mean if you walk into an unclean room after the patient just left, you, or your hands/clothes,?will catch the virus, right (even if you don’t get ill yourself as you are probably not that old and have a good immune system). So you open that door with your “infected hand” or brush against a wall with your infected clothes- you will be spreading the virus all around the hospital with immune-deficiency patients... so technically it is in the hospital’s best interest to not let you enter that room in the first place.
    If I were you- I’d just calmly and logically explained to your hospital supervisor person about your fears and concerns. Otherwise if something happens to you (god forbid) (is that the phrase?), who will be fixing their machines in your place? Or even if money is important but your life is more important, so technically you could take a “medical” leave (I don’t know your situation in your country, where I live I wouldn’t be able to ask a plumber to fix my sink in this past month, and still continues. Nor even painters for the outside of the house, they were supposed to come like a week ago, but the government forbade any “unnecessary” work). Though your job probably would still fall under “necessary “ category, but that just means that your work is that important to the efficient running of the hospital. It is in their interest to keep you healthy and working. (Unless there are three hundred people who are capable AND willing to work in a hospital right now? and could take over your job in a moment’s notice).

Mnotia, Topicsryo, mir and 2 others like this.
  6. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan doesn't know how it's like in the USA, but Ai-chan thinks this definitely falls under 'need to know'. Ai-chan imagine that they would've insisted on you wearing PPE if they know you're going into an infected area. And if they're not insisting that, that would mean either the whole place was completed disinfected or it didn't hold infected patient previously. In most cases, you can simply ask them if it's risky for you to go inside as you are. Maybe you can ask the chief nurse of the shift, he or she would know and Ai-chan doesn't think that they want you to get infected, because you still come back to work the next day and if you're infected, they're screwed too!

That being said, Ai-chan has never worked in a hospital before and therefore Ai-chan doesn't know the law on that but Ai-chan thinks that bedside manners aside, most doctors and nurses are decent human beings who wouldn't wish you harm. Anyway, please do wear PPE especially if they tell you to. At the very least, wear face mask and ask them to spray you with disinfectant after you leave the room. Better safe than sorry. All the best.

Topicsryo, mir, Fulminata and 3 others like this.
  7. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I technically over see 20+ hospitals. Some hospitals have teams that cover each other. Unfortunately I am the only technician in the state and partially another state. Your right about the necessary worker part and I do have a lot of PTO and floating holidays. So I could spend two months on leave and still get paid like normal and I’m not getting into unemployment. But there’s two things holding me back. One I care about our patients and our health care people. Second even thou I hope it doesn’t happen. I’m afraid of the worst happening. That there may come a tipping point we’re I way be forced to take a leave of absence. So unless absolutely necessary I’ll keep on going. Until than I just want to stay as healthy as possible.

mir and Meloman like this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I am able to back channel a little especially through the Biomeds, but even than it’s tough. I am finding out where to go due to how the hospital is rig up. If they are only treating a few patients in a certain area. That tells me that’s an infectious area. It’s like I have to read between the lines and pull a Sherlock Holmes deal.
    I hate that. Just tell me straight. So I can deal with the problems.
    I think it’s ridiculous. I am trying to help, but I feel like I’m risking my life and my family because you want to follow the rules. When I say it like that. I realize I am actually in the wrong. The rules are there for a reason. I just have to deal with it.
    I have to keep alert and on my toes. I’ll play it by ear and adjust when needed, but man that slows down my reaction to emergencies. I can only hope nothing blows, floods or hurt anyone until I can get there.

mir, Meloman and Ai chan like this.
  9. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, rules do matter, and confidentiality and so on, but really, this is like a pandemic... ok in USA the population is large (I live in Europe) so it feels like only a little percentage of population passed away, where as in some European countries percentage of pupulation that passed away is higher, thus here they take measures much more seriously. I mean I’m a NEET, so I thought that quarantine measures would not matter to me, but it does. Seriously, it feels a lot like in those zombie apocalypse novels where you don’t know who was bitten and how soon they gonna become a zombie and eat you. And to be honest I’m not exaggerating too much. Plus a zombie is a “big” being, where as a virus you can’t even see. So in a way it’s scarier. I think that in places like USA, Canada, China, Russia, and so on, this outbreak is seen more like a flu, at least from what I see on internet. Some places don’t even have quarantine, or only for a short week or so. In some places in Europe it’s already nearly a month, and where I live they increase an end of quarantine deadline each week.

just because there is a large population in a certain country it does not mean that each individual life is not important.

I respect you for choosing to continue to work, but you need to tell your employers in OPEN WORDS that you are there on your own volition and if you feel like they are treating your life as a joke- you will go on holiday.

no one jokes around with zombies during an apocalypse, so why do they joke around with a virus?

or since you are working in more than one hospital- tell them clearly that you got options, and that playing Sherlock is not your idea of fun when your own family’s gets threatened. Any sane person would understand. Too bad for those patients, but your own life, your own family’s life should indeed be your priority. We are all humans, we are selfish, and your name is not mother Teresa (is it?), so do put your own health as a priority. Just choose to work with hospitals that value and respect your work.

you and your family are not just a statistical number of such and such xyz age bracket who are unlikely to get infected. So just be safe. Good luck! And if it comes to you taking a holiday- don’t feel guilty about it. Many people die from car accidents , not just a virus, so you can’t save everyone. But your family would appreciate you being at home more.

My dad was a workaholic. He died of cancer last year, he was not even 55 yet. Working full time, especially when there is virus around... even if you don’t get infected etc etc, who is to say that ten years down the line some accident doesn’t happen to you or someone in your family? Life is so short. There is not enough time to spend it with your loved ones. Why endanger them or spend time away when you could?

saving others is important. Yes. But at what cost?

I hope I didn’t change your mind about continuing to work, as in any case it’s your choice. But it does not mean you should work as a Sherlock instead of a whatever-job-name it is you do. Those hospitals should respect you. ESPECIALLY now, when your work is very important, in this time of crisis.

in Europe several doctors have already passed away from that virus, and I’m sure they took all the precautions. So be safe.

of course one could catch that virus while shopping for groceries, not just in the hospital.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *hugs* I can only wish you good luck, you're doing a great thing! >.<

11. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, there are severe consequences. There is no way they'd ignore them.
    -----
    Talk to whoever you think might be able to do something about it. Your supervisor/boss/manager(?) first. Tell them that this is a problem and you need a solution asap.

If your own supervisor doesn't listen, make someone (someone in management or administration) at the hospitals you work at aware of the problem. Given how hospitals are worrying alot right now about being able to have enough staff and beds in the upcoming days, the idea that they might lose someone they don't have a replacement for will make them move fast to find a solution. I don't know what it is like in your state, but hospitals are definitely very concerned about this where I am at. Maybe they haven't done anything yet because the people who make the decisions aren't aware it is a problem.

Try asking if you could be given HIPAA training and sign the form agreeing to follow it. Maybe that would allow them to freely share the information with you whenever necessary. It might depend on whether your employer is willing to pay if you violate it though, I have no idea how the law works for that part of it.

I really think they would try to find a solution for you if you make them aware.
    Good luck,
    Make sure to tell us how it goes!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Meloman and Cutter Masterson like this.
  12. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that’s a good idea! Why didn’t I think of that. I was trying to be sneaky. Which I’m terrible at. To find my answer. When actually following the law would be even better. It’s so obvious. It’s too late to ask my boss today, but first thing Monday. You can bet I’ll be talking to my boss.
    Thanks mir

Meloman likes this.
  13. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    We had a company wide meeting from people across the country. One of the technician actually ask how do we find out if a hospital has an COVID 19 patient. HIPPA was also discussed. For some reason or another the phone line goes absolutely quiet during those moments. So at a guess. No one has an answer. So the higher ups know of the issue, but they have no way of resolving it.
    So I’m SOL.

14. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks Captain,:aww: we'll remember your help when time needed you the most.:blobcry::blobsalute:
    Joke aside. You should tell hospital doctors and someone who is knowledgeable about positive patient or quarantine area, it's your right to work without worry and less danger.

Meloman and Cutter Masterson like this.
  15. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This part:
    was directed at the thread in general and not at you, since I figured it was something you already knew/heard about. So I'm surprised.

16. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    An obvious answer like this. Should have been thought of by the big wigs of the company a long time ago. Than again maybe they have already thought about it and can’t seem to achieve it for some reason or another. That’s why I need to talk to my boss on Monday. To make it clear why we don’t get clearance. If it’s as simple as signing a document or acknowledgment of reading through some agreements. Than no problem, but I doubt it will be that easy. We will see. Thanks again mir.

mir likes this.