TV Joy of Life vis-a-vis Sword Dynasty

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by 101that, Dec 10, 2019.

1. 101that

101that Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone else following these two serials currently airing on iqiyi?

I find Joy of Life very light-hearted entertaining. The MC (both as a child and as adult) looks naturally goofy and the acting of all the actors/actresses are excellent! The humour is subtle and comes off naturally (whereas I gave up after watching the first 2 episodes of Once upon a time, there was a Spirit Sword Mountain with its somewhat-forced humour and inexperienced acting).

In sharp contrast, many settings in The Sword Dynasty are artistic with beautiful cinematography and excellent acting from experienced actors/actresses. Some of the scenes truly deserve repeat watching to appreciate the composition and the attention-to-details rendered by the director. The one major and very prominent flaw (in my view) is the MC who always have this very smug look on his face that invites a smacking. I know he is a popular actor with many female fans, but he is the oldest-looking 15-year old lad in the TV-series adaptations from the novels that I have ever seen! Heck, he even looks much older than his petite aunt.

Joy of Life is akin to a light, refreshing meal while The Sword Dynasty is similar to a heavy, luxurious formal sit-down meal.

Thankfully, there's no much fillers in both series so far!

2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Li Qin is a great actress.
    Sandrine Pinna is a French Chinese actress from Taiwan.
    I find it hard to consider it bad acting, more culture shock
    Especially if you have read the book, Spirit Sword mountain is supposed to be over the top.
    I haven't watched any yet but Li Qin is always a scene stealer, saw her clips in Joy of Life.
    I won't bet against Sandrine Pinna though, I would recommend that you give Spirit Sword Mountain another try.
    As for Sword Dynasty, I haven't read the book unlike the other two but the story feels all too familiar with classic wuxia.
    Have you watched The Legends?
    What about Man Comes To Tang Dynasty? I am working on getting season 2 subbed.
    Joy of Life author was incredibly bad at writing romance but TV screenwriters are experts at that so it should be very good.
    I am not interested in the plot though.
    It was a big disappointment just like Martial Universe since Martial Universe had more romance than action which I was not expecting

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  3. Haveaniceday

Haveaniceday Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It already updated Episode 27 on Youtube.

101that likes this.
  4. rosierosie

rosierosie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like both dramas, but I like JOL more. I feel Sword Dynasty could have a better screenplay. Towards the end, I feel they rush the ending and just randomly killed off random characters. Overall, I like the fighting scenes^^