Resolved [JP] Help me clarify what's going on

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Amarulence, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Amarulence

Amarulence Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'm in the middle of translating something and I came across these two lines:

だからとにかく大学在学中はアルバイト三昧で、とうとう留年する羽目になった。

親にはその事でこっぴどく怒られたあげくに、学校を辞めさせられてしまった。俺の家は三人兄妹だし俺は長男だ。後に続く妹たちの進学を考えれば当然の事だった。

From what I can gather, he became so absorbed in his part-time job that he was gone for a few years, so now his parents are angry with him? Why would that force him to quit college? And why would his actions reflect on his siblings? Why is there emphasis on him being the eldest son?

Am I not registering some cultural thing, or did I mistranslate something?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm a bit tired and can't wrap my ahead around what the author is trying to say.

2. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    Which is why I got so absorbed in my part-time job while attending college in the meantime that I finally ended up having to repeat a year.

This greatly angered my parents, making me drop out of school (or forcing me to drop out). There are three siblings in my family, me being the eldest son. It was only natural for them to think of my younger sisters who would continue on to college after that happened.

I think what you missed is that he repeated a year.

0000000, Amarulence and Milanin like this.
  3. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    • MC......................Going College-->coz Part-time job-->Less study time-->Effect, his study left behind 1 year than others (so stay)-->.......kinda mindless in his parent's mind
    • Imouto (little sister).....matters of time and she will go to college-->so MC quit so not burdening his parent which has 3 bros and 1 sis-->coz his parent think he dumb coz left behind 1 year better for his imouto--->simply lessening parent burdens and increasing his saving in full job than just part-time

Amarulence likes this.
  4. Amarulence

Amarulence Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, you're exactly right! That was what was tripping me up. Thanks for the assistance!