Discussion Jp novels vs chinese novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Jaythree03, Jun 12, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Id rather have my beta male than a rapist alpha chinese male.

As said by those guys above me,
    KR > everyone else.

Most likely
    KR > JP > OTHER RACE > CN

Edit:
    If you got a problem about that, dont watch JP anime. China have their own crap shit animation.

Dr_H_16, ali3rd and JinVodka like this.
  2. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple solution is shift from shounen and shoujo to Josei and maybe Seinen(they don’t have much romance). An indefinite no. Of women in a harem doesn’t appeal to me. A harem of 4 is the limit to me.

3. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    surprisingly, it's true. i've read some simple "wham,bam,thank you maam." kind of hentai and also some mind-fuck hentai.ie,.Afterschool Sexslave Club. but most actually have a better plotline than some anime i've seen. but honestly, i've learned more about sex from hentai than trial and error. that in itself is sad, but true.

ADABANA likes this.
  4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that there's a bit too much variety in Chinese web novels for it to make sense to generalize what the typical male protagonist is like. All sorts of people are writing these novels so there are going to be all sorts of ways to approach characterization. Note that most people don't read such a wide range of Chinese books so this may not be as apparent.

In contrast, the popular Japanese web novels are almost universally written by otaku and this commonality makes these books feel a lot more samey. One particularly salient thing about how these otaku write is that they go out of their way to remove the social aspect from their books. What I mean by this is that a lot of the social cues and the way social standing works and how people react to it. The lack of this in Japanese web novels becomes really apparent when you compare a book that doesn't do this - "Kenkyo Kenjistu" and all those other Villainess books which seem to avoid the social aspect like the plague. I've got theories why this happens, but this is less important than the fact that it does.

So, I do think that there are some negative trends when it comes to the protagonists in Japanese web novels, but this is more reflective of the poor quality of the characterization that's in these books to begin with. And the thing is I actually don't even mind passive protagonists in the first place. The main problem with them is that it's harder to write them well, and that really doesn't suit the Japanese web novelists as so many of them are amateurs with no real writing skills.

Tiramisu Zuki and whitespade like this.
  5. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i've noticed while Japanese LN and WN run the gammit for ages, ie,.historical and modern, Chinese stories mainly deal with the past or fantasy type genres. now don't get me wrong, their modern stuff is good, there seems to be not enuf of it.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it may seem that way but Chinese web novels are much more diverse than their Japanese counterparts. The reason this false impression seems true is that unless you can read these novels in the original you're limited to what the translators are willing to tackle. For Japanese novels, it's pretty much the entire gamut of the popular books. Take a look at Syosetu - pretty much everything in the top 50 and most of the top 100 are translated in some way. And so it's fair to say that we get a pretty good picture of the kind of web novels get written in Japan. It's almost all otaku novels written by otaku writers for otaku readers, and with very little input from anything else because that's how otaku write.

In comparison only a narrow range of Chinese novels get translated nowadays; mostly xianxia and a smattering of xuanhuan. There are also some Romance novels set in not-China and a small amount of stories set in the modern world. But everything is missing; no mysteries, no sports, no political stories, no historical novels, and not even wuxia gets translated much any more. All of these are pretty popular in China, but they don't show up on NU.

whitespade likes this.
  7. RozenKristal

RozenKristal NUF gender bender Emperor -> Queen

Reading List:
    Link
    Come on, it is just shitty CN novels with cr@p MC :\
    The problem is most of the good stuff aren't here.

If you can read raw, give me a category, I probably can find some good ones.
    But I feel like generally, if it is danmei or female MC, then it has a higher chance of being good.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    whitespade likes this.
  8. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    KR MC > everyone else

9. Muspon

Muspon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh i can't read jap novels because they all read like a book and that is exactly what i'm not trying to read kn novels always seem to have to do with leveling up and Apocalypse at least from what i read

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.