Question [JP] What is the meaning of this?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by yamitokaze, Jan 5, 2019.

1. yamitokaze

yamitokaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the meaning of this? 採用するのにしくは無いけど……

It came from this paragraph.
    「採用するのにしくは無いけど……ああ、嫌だなあ。貴族なんて人目に着く連中を洗脳するってことは、量産型用の簡易施術じゃ駄目なんだろう? またまた面倒臭い手術を山ほどしなきゃいけないなんて」

Some information:
    the protagonist agreed to go with a plan made by his subordinate but is ranting about the workload that would come from it.

Currently, I have it translated as: "I don’t have time for this…...ahh, I hate this. It is not okay to do simple brainwashing operations on people like nobles since they stand out, right? Doesn’t that mean I have to do a mountain of these bothersome operations again...”

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    〜にしくは無い is another way of writing 〜にしかず, which roughly translates as "~ is better than" or "~ is the only reasonable (option)". You might know the Japanese proverb 百聞は一見にしかず, which literally means "seeing (something) once is better than hearing (about it) a hundred times" (or, as we say in English, "a picture is worth a thousand words"). Though, in the above sentence, the writer is using it like 〜より仕方がない.

Anyway, it's basically saying "We'd best use (your plan), but..." or "There aren't any alternatives besides (your plan), but..."

Kuro_0ni, Pettilicious and yamitokaze like this.
  3. elberthomax

elberthomax Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    しく、如く means to match, しくは無い means none match(equal or better than) it so 採用するのにしくは無いけど means although i approve it and there's no better plan, but

Pettilicious and yamitokaze like this.