Non-Fic Julian Assange arrested by British Police.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by reagents 11, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember him also being wanted in Australia as well, doesnt really matter though.

Either way, people who think this is purely about UK law are oblivious to global politics and how treaties and extradition warrants goes. Some countries uphold other countries warrants for arrests, others do not; and can act as safe havens.

UK law is practically unrelated. If anything, they have every right to manage visas, and right to deport. As for which country lays the greater claim for extradition, and how the UK handles it is pure politics.

Moonpearl and Miserys_End like this.
  2. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    ok, my bad

3. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    If the extradition request was never revoked, guess it will be Sweden's problem again, either that or he will be shipped off to his country of origin. Unless he has a current EU passport or Visa, they can still kick him out with cause.

drewjn likes this.
  4. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    According to the latest news articles, the Brits are arresting him for the US not for Sweden.
    edit: NVM my bad, it just seems to be a possibility not a certainty

5. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I dont think the Brits care who gets him at this point. Most likely chain of events in the next 24 hours will be him spending a night in jail, the British government buying him a plane ticket, and frog marching him onto the plane. His destination will likely be the country he was born in, or last place he held a permanent residence and willing to accept him.

6. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right. They've revealed the extradition request of the US dated back to 2017. By now all his contact of whistleblowers should act accordingly for their own safety.

7. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    What did he whistleblow exactly? I seem to not remember anything about this guy...

8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    So in a nutshell, don't fight the government. Unless you have another country backing you up. Like Jho Low, China is still protecting him.

9. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    To name a few
    DNC collusion email scandal.
    Bradley Manning case.
    NSA—CIA hacking tools and list of windows backdoors.

10. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I read, he appearantly kept on doing wikileak stuff, which annoyed them enough
    Sweden cancelled their investigation, but can be brought up before 2020 again. Never heard anything about an Australian charge though. UK does have a charge on him, as he absconded from bail when he got into the embassy, which gives them reasons to do it, and the Equadorian government disliked him enough to remove his asylum, which allowed them to do it.

11. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    Thin sheet of difference between a journalist and an agent. One works for an interest of another entity one works for public population interest. IMO he has done very well in keeping with his integrity although
    Ecuador president signed loans from IMF and that's one of the price they pay to have them approved. The guy have insiders as his sources which would obviously of interest to US intelligence. That's what really what they wanted from him. Those dissenters amongst their ranks.

Once again the Chinese CCP are right. Democracy simply do not work if the population distracted and reactionary. Running the country and administrations should be left to people that care enough about it. The rest can enjoy their bread and circuses.

12. JoJoBread

JoJoBread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    did he really die? Damn that is terrible.

13. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. I bet at that point they didn't even care about him, but he was sabotaging their other spying, which pissed them off. :D

14. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Any system of ruling has it's flaws and benefits. There's no real perfect way to lead.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry but quoting the CCP as a Bastion of integrity is a tough pill to swallow.
    @Robbini puts it perfectly, for all the faults of Western Democracy, at least they do not kidnap people and sell their organs
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/23...e-reappearance-china-tax-evasion-social-media

16. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes hardly. Power that stagnated always corrupt overtime and that's how people actually come up with current model of population directed development. By now most should have realizes liberal type of governance have it's flaw as well.

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the recent Comey issue in the U.S. points out how difficult it is for agencies when people assume the worse of them.
    J Edgar Hover, was a good example of how secret spy agencies can amass crazy amounts of power.
    But jumping to conspiracy theories for everything is dangerous.
    Many complain about NSA spying but forget about the terror and panic that 9/11 brought about.
    Government spying in moderation is necessary since criminals are already hacking webcams
    If people want a society where criminals are more informed than the police then that it stupidity at its finest

Westeller likes this.
  18. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    Ladies, Gents and Weebos. We might want to steer this conversation away from the more political end of the spectrum. I know the event is tied to politics in general, but NUF is not a platform for us to debate their virtues or failings.

19. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes you're actually agreeing with me there. People should be given more hold and rein for their own safeties. They don't know better and they couldn't care less about a lot of things.

And by the way you need to check whether law of physics allow the 911 to happen.

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not a, fan of conspiracy theories.
    One bad actor doesn't mean the entire government is out to get me.
    Given the internet and how it is very difficult to live in a bubble unlike decades ago.
    It becomes more difficult for one person to hold absolute sway over another person.
    That is why whistleblowers are more common

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.